0xDBE—Brand New IDE for DBAs and SQL Developers

Today we have some super exciting news to share with you.

Since its inception JetBrains has focused on making software development a more productive and enjoyable experience by providing developers with top-notch tools. Our products support Java, .NET, PHP, Python, Ruby, Objective-C and many other languages and platforms.

Today, JetBrains expands this list to databases. Meet 0xDBE—our brand new IDE for DBAs and SQL developers.

For years, we’ve been developing a range of database tools as part of our family of IDEs. Now these tools are becoming a separate IDE: for DBAs, SQL developers and just about everyone who works with databases or SQL files.

Though 0xDBE is still under heavy development, today we’re happy to announce the opening of it’s private EAP (Early Access Program), so you have a chance to become an early 0xDBE adopter.

For more details about 0xDBE see http://jetbrains.com/dbe/

To gain access to early builds of 0xDBE, please sign up for its private EAP: http://jetbrains.com/dbe/eap/

Develop with Pleasure!
0xDBE Team

About Andrey Cheptsov

Andrey Cheptsov is IntelliJ IDEA product marketing manager at JetBrains. He's passionate about productivity, programming languages and tools.
This entry was posted in New Products and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to 0xDBE—Brand New IDE for DBAs and SQL Developers

1. Alex says:

Looking forward to trying this out

Are there any plans for scripting support and ORM integrations? Like python + sqlalchemy or is this just targeted to SQL? An example of how I imagine it is like in linqpad you can have a lightspeed model and code in C#, although linqpad is pretty limited when it comes to managing a DB.

What is the scope of this tool? Will it allow you to manage SQLServer jobs? or does it not reach outside of the databases(schemas) themselves?

I am also curious if you guys think there would be any use for tools like this but for nosql style DBs. I can see how a lot of these features may not need to exist in that scenario but it would be interesting to have a unified platform

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

ORM support is a part of other IntelliJ-based IDEs, such as IntelliJ IDEA, PyCharm, etc. 0xdbe is about pure SQL mostly.

As to the scope, I guess the first version will focus on editing SQL, providing only basic schema management features. Further versions will bring more advanced stuff.

NoSQL is also interesting for us, but SQL is the top priority for now.

• Alex says:

I guess in addition to my last comments I have a feature idea:
        One thing with SQL insert statements that is always trouble is when reading a script, it’s hard to line up the insert values with the insert columns. In the scenario where the values are split on to separate lines, would it be possible to show a faded column name before the value? That would be super nifty but I guess it would throw off the alignment of text. Adding at the end of the line may not work well if the line is long so I am not sure how else to display it

I saw when editing the values you can get the column names for the value position but that is only for editing and not when skimming through a file to understand it. Basically what I am hoping to achieve here, is to be able to look at a file and understand what everything is without having to scroll back and forth for large insert statements or to click in to each column value to pop up the assist message

2. Prashanth says:

What does this mean “0xDBE” ? Any significance ?

3. Prashanth says:

How is it “0xDBE” pronounced ?

4. Pingback: 0xDBE—SQL開発者、DB管理者向けの新しいIDE | JetBrains ブログ

5. Denis Savenko says:

As well as Alex can’t wait to have a touch on it.

But there’re some questions about JetBrains’ plans:
    * Are you going to implement some performance tools in 0xDBE such as explain plan, profiler and so on?
    * Is there a plan to implement built-in debugging platform (similar to ‘test window’ in AA PL/SQL Developer)?
    * Was it planned to add built-in diagram tool into the IDE, which would be able to generate DDL script to add ‘drawn’ object into DB schema (like ERWin or Toad Data Modeler)?
    * Is there only strong support for ANSI SQL or does it work well also with Oracle PL/SQL, MS T-SQL and so on?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

“Yes” to all the questions. The first version will focus on the coding assistance for SQL, including all the dialects. Further versions will cover more advanced stuff such as: performance tools, debugging, etc.

6. William says:

How will this integrate with coding IDEs such as IntelliJ and PHPStorm? From the licensing standpoint, will it be included with IntelliJ Ultimate the way PHPStorm is, as a plugin?

Also from a coding standpoint, will I be able to click on a block of SQL code in a PHP file and have it open in an 0xDBE project that is somehow linked to the PHP project? Usually when I am working with SQL, it is embedded in other types of files. Being able to jump to the dedicated IDE to craft/test/optimize the query (possibly with params identified and placeholders added?) and then when done easily bring that back into the PHP or Java IDE would be awesome.

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

All the current 0xDBE features are available in IntelliJ IDEA and other IntelliJ-based IDEs (except WebStorm and AppCode). At some point (in the future) some advanced DBA features may be present in 0xDBE only.

As to embedded SQL, you’ll be able to work with it from an IntelliJ-based IDE without switching.

7. Igor M. says:

That’s really cool!
    I’m looking forward to NoSQL support (specifically MongoDB), performance tools – and EAP, of course! : )
    Good luck!

8. Paul says:

Hello, are you going to support Hadoop ecosystem?

9. Peter says:

An is this support the long time waiting tunnel based connection type? If it has only the JDBC connectors that phpstorm, this is useless for at least the half of the european developers….

10. AAA says:

I care about the price.
    I have bought IDEA, resharper, appcode.
    And I will buy your new C++ IDE and this..
    There are too many IDEs. Do you offer a bundle or subscription so that I can access all your product like MSDN?

11. yahoo says:

Hey there! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give
    a quick shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading through your posts.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same
    subjects? Thanks a ton!

Feel free to surf to my homepage – yahoo