ReSharper 4.0: General Preview

We’re pretty close to launching ReSharper 4.0 EAP and now is the right time to introduce the long-awaited enhancements this major version will provide.

These can be legitimately divided into two simple categories:

• Visual Studio 2008 and C# 3.0 support
  • Well… everything beyond that

Support for C# 3.0
ReSharper 3.1 already provides support for the Visual Studio 2008 environment. Version 4.0 completes this support to include the new C# features, among which are implicitly typed variables, anonymous types, object initializers, extension methods, lambda expressions and LINQ. This requires substantial updates in several major components of ReSharper functionality, which will cover:

• Code Analysis;
  • Context Actions and Quick-Fixes;
  • Code Completion;
  • Refactorings (ReSharper 4.0 will introduce Convert to Extension Method, Convert to Automatic Property, and Convert Anonymous Type to Named, among others).

Other Enhancements

• Code Cleanup – a new tool to ensure compliance with code guidelines and enhance code structure;
  • Complete Statement – another new feature that will complete language constructs and get you ready to write the next statement;
  • External annotations to help cover referenced assemblies while performing null-reference analysis;
  • Extended language support as VB.NET gets the full-fledged set of refactorings;
  • New quick-fixes and context actions are made available for XAML files.

The wait is almost over – ReSharper 4.0 EAP is planned to open this month! Stay tuned for details.

This entry was posted in News and Events and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to ReSharper 4.0: General Preview

1. Yuval says:

Great News!
    Will there be a minimal upgrade cost option for non corporate developers?
    I wasn’t able to afford the last upgrade and never upgraded to 3.0 :(

2. Brian says:

This is truly great news! I’ll be fasting until it comes out.

3. Jianwei says:

Will the No. 1 issue discussed on forum ( memory leak issue) get fixed.

4. These are great news, I’m missing support for C# 3.0 a lot. Can’t wait to install it.

5. Simone says:

One thing that is missing is a support for Silverlight code-behind classes. Hope this will be included into R# 4.0 for VS2008

6. Josh says:

I can’t wait for R# 4.0, please release soon, all of my projects are VS.NET 2008 and I am missing the R# Feature Set!!!

7. Ken says:

I’ve been using extension methods since September, and I would sell my soul to the evil empire to get a version of Resharper that finally stops flagging all uses of extension methods as errors! Next time, please consider supporting the most tempting/simpler new features in an “EEAP”!

8. duckworth says:

I am counting down the days!

9. Jason says:

hope performance can be improved…

10. Hi,
    I am very happy for this new release. R# is truly a *wonderful* tool. I deeply hope you will have fixed some memory leak issues you had previously (500M of VM at the end of the day). I will be happy to test for this if possible.

11. Jura Gorohovsky says:

Yuval: I guess you can upgrade to 3.1 for 119USD with subsequent free upgrade to 4.0 (http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/buy/#upgradeuser)

12. Peter St Angelo says:

Hello,

When will the beta/ EAP for version 4 be available?

13. Eugene Le Roux says:

We are waiting in anticipation, any ideas on when this will be available?

14. Some feed back as to when EAP 4 be available. Lack of information is not helping!!!

15. Heribert says:

It makes no sense to combine a superb product with mediocre marketing.

I really wish Ilya was working for ScottGu! :)

16. Every day I check the EAP page. Every day. It’s January 31st. I check again.

Still not Christmas.

17. Ralax says:

When we can use the version4.0?

18. Brad Bellomo says:

They still have a date of January 2008 posted on the web.

19. Justin Bennett says:

Roll on the release of V4, I’m working in VS.NET08 (v3.1)and the memory leaks and impact on performance are shocking. As I only bought the product a few months ago will I be eligible for a free upgrade to a version that works?

20. Pete Newton says:

Great tool but performance is a killer. Need to restart VS08 every 2 or 3 hours. Please address this.