Feedback wanted

This post serves to gather feedback regarding any particular ReSharper features that you’d like to see reviewed in this blog.
Please have your say!

Updated! This post is not a place to suggest new features/improvements for whatever version of ReSharper. The most efficient way to do it is using JIRA.

This entry was posted in Links and Opinions, Other. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Feedback wanted

1. Lex Y. Li says:

I love Extract Method. But I want a reverse feature, Inline Method.

2. feedback says:

Very usefull refactorings indeed :

move to app config section in web.config
    move to connection string section in web.config

R# has reached a great level of pure C# / class support. Give the ASP.NET Developer some attention please ;)

3. Feedback2 says:

Hello Resharper team!

I am currently evaluating R#4 and I’m very happy with the stability,speed and features. Especialy the new installer is very good (I use VS2005&2008 on the same machine).

I have a confession to make though. I installed Refactor Pro ASP.NET edition. Yes, I was tempted …. they advertised with and “extract to user control” feature wich almost does what it promises (I had to manualy make some correction to a namespace each time).

There are some other nice featuers (like extract class from style attribites) and a lot of fluff.

The “Extract to user control” however is realy usefull! Could you give the ASP.NET devs some more love and make this a refactoring in R#4 :D

Kind Regards, Tom Pester
    Registred user since R#2

PS. once I noticed devexpress killed the F2 schorcut to rename I uninstalled it promptly.

4. Niklas says:

Extract string as resource would be great. Change type from System name to language equivalent: change String to string in C#.

5. Bobo says:

Less memory usage!!! Or reload only the code has changes.

6. Jura Gorohovsky says:

I have to clarify: this is NOT a post where you should suggest new features for ReSharper (this is what JIRA is used for). Instead, you’re welcome to specify if a specific feature of ReSharper seems unclear to you and you’d like us to write a clarifying post about it in this blog.

7. Feedback2 says:

I would like to know the motivation behind some of the design decissions that were made when making R#.
    I found the tool quit flexible but I’m still stumpled why there has to be a field first when making a property.

So to make a property I first have to create a field and than I can use R# to create a property. Every programmer programs differently so it’s hard to come up wiht a 1 size fits all. How did you tackle this problem?

Other than that, how hard is it to make a 10 minute video that shows all of the refactorings in action? (If I knew all of them and also how to apply them under the right circomstances I could make it myself.) I’m sure I would discover some new and useful things.

Using Camtasia as the screen recorder and the excellent Key Jedi

it is possible to make video’s that realy show how powerful R# is. This will not only benifit existing custoemrs but certainly people who are evaluating R#. The competition has an edge on this flank and it’s more than just marketing.

8. Drew Noakes says:

I’d like to see Value Analysis reviewed on this blog. I find the feature very useful in tracking bugs in VS2005, and am excited to see it working with the new external annotations. This feature seems to be one that could do with more publicity as many of my colleagues don’t tend to use it. For example, the code for a recommended implementation of the Null / NonNull attributes is not readily available (except for in a Jira item I created a while ago).

Thanks :)

9. Hi,

I’ve been a Resharper user for over 3 years and am now one of the legion of developers who feels they can’t user Visual Studio without it!

But a few weeks ago Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien) was in the UK, I arranged a Geek Dinner and managed to persuade him to spend a couple of hours with my dev team and do an IoC / Windsor 101 session.

What really impressed me (and blew away a few of my dev team) was the *way* Oren used Resharper – it was completely different to how any of us use it. Oren really is a Resharper Jedi Master…

What I’d like (and I’m not sure if it’s possible) would be a series of screencasts (by Oren if possible) where he shows, not only the “whys” and “hows” of Resharper features, but also how you use them to gain huge amounts of control over your source code as he does.

For example showing how you create classes then use the code generation features to create constructors with parameters mapping to fields all ready for Dependency Injection is quite a nice end to end story.

Ideally I’d like one of Oren’s Hibernating Rhinos screencasts – but with subtitling showing what Resharper keyboard shortcuts he’s using to do the amazing things he’s doing…

After he left – the one affect that he had on the team was to make them go back to their desks download and print out the Resharper Keymap PDF…. :D

10. Libor says:

great idea Howard, I’d love to see some video where some Resharper pro-user show how to gain maximum of it

11. orangy says:

Lex, Inline Method refactoring is available in ReSharper 4 EAP.

12. Joe White says:

One thing I frequently wonder about is that blue highlighting that ReSharper leaves lying around whenever I do something like Introduce Parameter. It doesn’t seem to serve any purpose except adding unnecessary keystrokes to every refactoring, as I’m having to hit Esc all the time to make it go away.

I’d like to see something about *why* that blue highlighting is there, what purpose you think it serves, and how you think it fits into a typical refactoring scenario. What do you think we’re supposed to gain from it that’s worth the extra clutter on the screen? If I knew what you had in mind, then I’d know whether to change the way I work, or to add a “please, please get rid of it” request to JIRA. (grin)

(And I’d also like to know if there’s a way to disable it! I looked through the options and couldn’t find anything.)

13. Jura Gorohovsky says:

Joe,
    Could you please provide a sample screenshot, preferably with status bar info visible?