ReSharper 5 Beta 2 Released

In an irrepressible pursuit of deadly perfection, we’re releasing ReSharper Beta 2 today! Committed to sim-ship ReSharper 5.0 with Visual Studio 2010, we’ve fixed a ton of issues, from minors to show-stoppers. Here are some of the most conspicuous:

• Support for Visual Studio 2010 RC. This inevitably means that R# 5 Beta 2 is not compatible with Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2. If for any reason you need ReSharper to be compatible with VS 2010 Beta 2, download build 1611 or earlier from ReSharper Nightly Builds.
  • Extended ASP.NET MVC functionality. ReSharper 5.0 Beta 2 supports ASP.NET MVC 2 Areas — like so:

Other notable improvements include creating MVC View pages and user controls with or without master pages right from usage.
  • Stable Structural Search and Replace. SSR is now actually working working in a much more stable fashion than late last year, when we released Beta 1. That means, if you know about a code smell that ReSharper is unaware of, no problem! Create a search/replace pattern:

and execute it! You can also set a severity level for the pattern so that ReSharper highlights code matching the search pattern as a hint, suggestion, warning, or error, and provides quick-fixes:

By the way, you can now share your patterns with fellow developers by importing/exporting them as XML files.
  • Multiple usability improvements. Usability improvements in ReSharper 5.0 Beta 2 affect many features, including the aforementioned Structural Search and Replace; Localization feature pack (by the way, have you seen Hadi Hariri’s Localizing Your Applications with ReSharper 5 screencast? you should!) and Solution-Wide Warnings and Suggestions that you can now launch not only from the Solution Explorer but from ReSharper menu as well:

Download ReSharper Beta 2 now and remember that all new and upgrade licenses purchased since October 15, 2009 qualify for a free upgrade to ReSharper 5.0!

If you haven’t yet upgraded to ReSharper 4.5, right now could be the time to do so – and enjoy the new ReSharper 5.0 for free when it comes out later this spring.

This entry was posted in News and Events and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to ReSharper 5 Beta 2 Released

1. Pingback: uberVU - social comments

2. kacper says:

Link in the first paragraph titled “ReSharper Beta 2″ redirects to R# 4.5 download page, you might wanna fix it ;)

3. Pingback: progg.ru

4. Pingback: The Morning Brew - Chris Alcock » The Morning Brew #542

5. Joe White says:

Now that you’ve got menu items to show “Code Issues in Solution” and “Code Issues in Current Project”, are there any plans to add “Code Issues in Open Files” (which would address RSRP-88095)? Seems like this would be relatively easy to add, and it would be very helpful. (E.g. it could help me see whether I accidentally added unused “using”s to files I was just editing.)

P.S. I got a “Could not open socket” page when I tried to submit this comment a moment ago.

6. Pingback: XtraMile, Inc. » ReSharper 5 Beta 2 Released

7. Pingback: Another .NET Blog

8. JimBob says:

I only have 19 days left of my 5.0 beta evaluation. Will i be able to extend that until the release date?

9. @Joe
    Quite likely but not for 5.0. We’ve passed feature freeze.
    The original motivation for adding the two “code issues” menu options was that “Inspect Code” in Solution Explorer was too far from other R# actions to be noticed straight away

@JimBob Once your current beta build expires, you’ll be able to download a fresh nightly build and use it for another 30 days

10. Martin Randall says:

Is there a release date for Resharper 5?

11. @Martin
    We’re sim-shipping with Visual Studio, so expect R# 5 to be released in April.

12. lxiaor says:

I feel so sad about resharper 5. After the beta version was released, I had already told you it cannot work well with DevExpress Refactor,link: http://blogs.jetbrains.com/dotnet/2009/12/resharper-50-beta-comes-out/
    but you still not fix this problem in beta 2 version!

13. @lxiaor
    We have a bug tracker at http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issues/RSRP
    If you encounter a bug, please submit it there. Don’t submit reports about two or more bugs, submit them one by one. Leaving bug reports in the blog is not the best idea, chances are they’ll end up unnoticed.
    To even have a chance of fixing your particular bug, we need to know which Visual Studio version you’re using, which DevExpress tools you’re using and possibly other details about your machine configuration.

14. ncloud says:

I have to wait until April to send you my money for ReSharper 5!? A travesty! Beta 2 rocks though. Thanks for making cool stuff guys. I couldn’t live without it.

15. @ncloud

Thanks for appreciating!
    We might start pre-selling 5.0 before April but we’ve not come to a final decision on this.

16. Geoff says:

Installing beta 2 with beta 1 installed did not allow me to install. I had to uninstall beta 1 then install beta 2 which took longer and probably lost my settings.

17. @Geoff,

Sorry for that. AFAIK we didn’t receive reports on your kind of problem before.

18. Using visual studio 2008, with with latest release I can’t seem to be able to edit .aspx files. When I try to type it takes what seems like 10 seconds for my characters to appear on the screen after I typed them.

the problem does not appear to be as bad when editing .cs files, but when in .aspx file the problem magnifies 10 fold.

This one problem makes it completely unusable for me.

I was looking forward to version 5, but unfortunately I had to revert back to 4.5.

19. It seem that it does not work on VS RC1 2010 but works perfectly on 2008

20. Alun Harford says:

Resharper 5 is still a very buggy version of the buggiest tool I could never live without. I use it because I’m using VS2010 and I could never live without Resharper.

But calling it ‘RC’ worries me somewhat. Do you actually intend to fix the bugs? It’s behavior is kind of random most of the time because it throws a few hundred unhandled exceptions every day.

21. Sunit says:

Does 5.0 have support for F# ?

22. @Alun,

We’ve already fixed many bugs since the RC release. Try out a fresh EAP build (pay attention to comments though): http://confluence.jetbrains.net/display/ReSharper/ReSharper+5.0+Nightly+Builds

@Sunit
    No, 5.0 doesn’t support F#, and it’s not planned in the near term.