JetBrains to Launch dotCover EAP Next Week

The first half of 2010 turns out to be pretty fruitful for .NET developers who use JetBrains tools. In addition to upcoming major releases of ReSharper and dotTrace, we’re extending our .NET toolset with dotCover — a code coverage tool.

Many of our customers consider unit tests a vital part of their development workflow. It doesn’t come as a surprise that we want to let them easily see how successful they are in covering their applications with tests. To bring an extremely comfortable code coverage experience to developers, the initial version of dotCover will introduce the following features:

• Integration with Visual Studio 2005, 2008 and 2010.
  • .NET projects coverage in Visual Studio.
  • Test coverage through tight integration with unit test running engine in ReSharper 5.0.
  • Navigation to source code from coverage report.
  • Highlighting for covered and uncovered code in Visual Studio code editor.
  • Navigation from source code to unit tests that cover it.

We’re thrilled to announce that some of these features will be available via Early Access Program that we’re launching next week. Stay tuned for an additional launch announcement here on the .NET Tools Blog and follow us on Twitter.

This entry was posted in News and Events and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to JetBrains to Launch dotCover EAP Next Week

1. Great!
    Any chance we could see a command line version of this beauty to add to the build server?

2. Pingback: JetBrains .NET Tools Blog » Blog Archive » JetBrains to Launch … eapcom 企业EAP服务

3. That’s great news. I’d love to have a code coverage tool tightly integrated with ReSharper. Is there any chance that users of both products could get a discount on a developer bundle that included both products? And possibly dotTrace as well?

4. Shannon says:

Is is going to be possible to use dotCover via a command line build?

5. AWESOME!
    I was asking myself when you will do it. And I guess I already asked you the question too.

6. Pingback: uberVU - social comments

7. MF says:

That’s awesome

8. Pingback: The .NET Aficionado | JetBrains dotCover EAP next week

9. Pingback: The Morning Brew - Chris Alcock » The Morning Brew #566

10. Hello

Will it be part of ReSharper or will it be a seperate tool that integrates with ReSharper?

Cheers

Gabriel

11. Sean Kearon says:

Sounds great! Any idea of how this will be priced yet?

12. Alexander says:

Great news, I believe your product will be much more better and more bagfree than NCover :))

13. Pingback: Twitter Trackbacks for JetBrains .NET Tools Blog » Blog Archive » JetBrains to Launch dotCover EAP Next Week [jetbrains.com] on Topsy.com

14. @Sean
    Pricing info will be available a bit later, sometime around dotCover Beta release I think

@Gabriel
    It’s a separate tool that integrates with ReSharper

@Dean
    I guess we’ll come up with something sweet in the pricing dpt – most probably, a limited-time pricing offer for everyone, and then we’ll see.

@Sergio, @Shannon
    dotTrace will integrate with TeamCity but not in the first version unfortunately.

15. John says:

Great news!

At the moment the main coverage tools for .NET are mscoverage, NCover, PartCover so adding a new tool increases choice.

I would like to echo the earlier comments. Is there going to be a command line version and would it have the option of exporting the results as xml? If so will it be bundled for free with TeamCity (the console app so that an agent can easier generate coverage reports)?

Thanks,

John

16. repka says:

If this is a separate tool from R#, how is this better than TestDriven.Net?

17. Pingback: progg.ru

18. Matt Eland says:

Looks exciting. A couple questions:

- Rough estimate of a release date?
    - Will there be personal licenses like there are for R# and dotTrace?
    - Will there be discounts for people who already use R# or dotTrace?
    - Will there be competitive discounts for people who use NCover?
    - What customization options will be available in initial release for highlight color / which files are analyzed?

19. I reiterate others comments for a command-line version with reasonable XML output. Without some sort of headless automation available, it’s value would be diluted. It pains me, then, that you mentioned the possibility of limited-time pricing. I’m not interested in the current feature set but fear I might be priced out when the limited-time pricing expires but the command-line feature is added. Let me also make clear that I’m NOT a TeamCity user, so such specific integration won’t do me any good. Start with a lower common denominator: command-line and XML.

20. Hi,

EAP will start next week, so many feature-related questions will get answered soon. Version 1.0 will be targeted to individual developers who want to assess quality of their test coverage, so there will not be command-line tool or XML reporting. This will certainly be added veryy soon after 1.0 release and while I can’t share pricing details now, I can assure you that it will answer many concerns expressed here.

WBR, Oleg Stepanov

21. @Matt
    Release date estimate ~ May/June this year
    Personal licenses: yes
    Discounts for existing R#/dT customers: not sure yet but most probably, there will be an introductory price for all
    Discounts for NCover users: this is hardly ethical
    Customization options: can’t tell yet.

22. Pingback: JetBrains .NET Tools Blog » Blog Archive » Grab Early dotCover Builds!

23. PaulB says:

Just out of curiosity, will this be able to do code-coverage in servers?

We’re having an issue where we’re running “system tests” using MSTest as the framework… these are tests against code in an app-server, doing SOA work. And it would be great to be able to easily get the code-coverage on the server side for the tests written against it.

24. Rybolt says:

“Brian J. Sayatovic Says:
    March 25th, 2010 at 3:47 pm
    I reiterate others comments for a command-line version with reasonable XML output. Without some sort of headless automation available, it’s value would be diluted. It pains me, then, that you mentioned the possibility of limited-time pricing. I’m not interested in the current feature set but fear I might be priced out when the limited-time pricing expires but the command-line feature is added. Let me also make clear that I’m NOT a TeamCity user, so such specific integration won’t do me any good. Start with a lower common denominator: command-line and XML.”

– my sentiments EXACTLY

25. RandomUsername says:

A couple thoughts:

- Looks like a great product, love the ease of use and integration with Studio
    - Repeating other requests for the command line with XML output functionality, necessary for automated builds
    - Maybe have an option to just highlight the not-run code – the green highlighting can get annoying and is somewhat redundant. When glancing at highlighted code, the green highlighting is “broken up” by un-compiled code like comments, making coverage seem less than it is at first glance. Ultimately, though, I only care about the un-run code.
    - Will it be capable of collecting coverage data outside of a unit test context? Can coverage be collected from manual tests as well?

Thank you.

26. Rybolt says:

When will the builds work with Typemock, I cannot evaluate dotCover as my unit tests utilize Typemock ?

Thanks.

p.s. I’ll volunteer to beta test this scenario :)