ReSharper 5.1.2 Bugfix Campaign

We’re into another loop of 5.x bug fixing, and there’s already a couple of nightly 5.1.2 builds for you to download and try.

Why should you care about version 5.1.2? You should care about it if:

• You’re using ReSharper PowerToys and they’re throwing exceptions at you.
  • You’re annoyed with ReSharper’s External Sources feature that sometimes incorrectly reads PDB files.
  • You want to experience the new stunning architectural changes ported from ReSharper 6 and aimed at faster processing of fatty files (10k LOC and more.)

All these things are already there in build 1753, so go there, download it, and let us know if something goes wrong.

This entry was posted in News and Events and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to ReSharper 5.1.2 Bugfix Campaign

1. tobi says:

great! This is a customer-firendly move that everyone should support in their own interest. I will be reporting bugs.

2. Phil says:

Fixed issues link says: Oops! Something wrong with your search request.

3. @Phil
    Yes, thanks, this is a known problem with YouTrack. Will be hopefully fixed with YouTrack 3.0

4. @tobi
    Thanks! If everyone reports bugs to our tracker on a regular basis, that would be a dream come true for us.

5. Any chance that there will be a patch to disable code formatting for ASPX/ASCX pages will make it in this version?

6. @Justin,
    Can you please point me to an issue in youtrack.jetbrains.net that describes this problem?

7. Joe White says:

Cool. We have a couple of very large files that are also very high-dependency, so solution-wide analysis is always having to re-scan them and taking forever. The perf improvements will be welcome!

8. Bob says:

What about that severe typing lag defect? I don’t see that mentioned. It’s a real show stopper.

9. @Joe
    So how’s the new build performing with your large files?

@Bob
    Unfortunately “that severe typing lag defect” is not an adequate description of your problem. Please add details or point to a youtrack request

10. jason says:

@jura: bob is refering to big projects with lots of classes causes intelisense to utterly slow to a crawl.

and while you may not personally know of the issue, I’m certain that other members of your team do.

hope that can get fixed before 6.0 (fyi, 4.0 on vs2008 had no problems)

and disabling resharper intellisence fixes, but obviously it would be nice to use resharper features

11. @jason
    Are you Bob’s teammate?
    Can you point to a forum post or a youtrack issue describing this behavior?
    I’m not asking for fun, you know, but in order to find out if there’s a chance to fix it for 5.x, and if such chance exists, push the fix.

12. Joe White says:

@Jura, I haven’t been using it long enough to say. I’ve only had it re-scan these files once or twice since I installed the beta. I didn’t time it before, so my only benchmark is “when it’s scanning, and I happen to look at the filename it’s currently scanning, how often is it one of these 4 or 5 big files?” So far it seems like I’ve noticed those filenames less often, so it seems promising.

13. Joe White says:

@jason, how many classes are you talking about? Our team definitely has “many” classes in our ~million-line codebase (the majority of it in one large project), and Intellisense is pretty fast.

I’m not trying to minimize your problem, by any means — just saying it may be something more specific than just the number of classes. (Or maybe you just have 10x or 100x more classes than we do. Either way, it could be useful information.)

14. Julien says:

File analysis is still *very* slow with files using fluent interfaces such as described here :

For instance, parsing a c# file with less than 300 lines of code but containing 50 lines of method chaining just takes forever (at least several minutes if it ever finishes) and consumes a full core. This is really annoying !

15. @Julien,
    Thanks for the reminder!
    I have passed it over to the team. We’ll see if we’re able to fix it for 5.1.2.

16. Michael Tomlinson says:

I’ve also noticed that Resharper intellisense has become almost unusable in large files, really just in the last week or so.
    I’m downloading the latest 5.1.2 now – will let you know if there’s noticable improvements.
    I’d say though that in 5.1 it was fine – I had no performance issues at all.
    p.s. I’m on a Quad core i7 3.2GHz with 8GB of RAM, so finding typing slow in Visual Studio is a pretty big performance problem :-)

17. Kirill says:

@Michael Tomlinson
    Thanks for you feedback. Is it possible to create a simple solution which consists of your’s large file and send it to us for investigation? Great thanks in advance!
    @Julien Thanks for the sample. We are also working on it.

18. Lei says:

@Michael
    What was your memory usage like? And how about Resharper managed memory? I’m on a quad core xeon 3.33 with 6gb memory and still suffer slowness as VS+Resharper constantly go beyond 1.4GB on my PC. I’ve raised a issue on that at http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/RSRP-187379.

19. Andreas says:

Any chance this issue will be fixed also?
    It shows erros in pretty much all my classes which is really annoying since you never know if it’s a real error or not.

20. Hi Andreas,

I’ve passed the issue to the QA, we’ll look at it and see if it can be fixed for 5.1.2

21. Brendan says:

Any chance that http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/RSRP-179860 will make it into 5.1.2?

It’s a bit of a pain using Gallio to run TestCase based tests and then having to switch to the nUnit provider to get DotCover to work properly.

22. @Andreas
    This requires involvement from a team member who’s currently on a business leave. If he gets back in reasonable time before the final 5.1.2 release, we’ll be able to do that

@Brendan
    I’ll inquire on this one

23. @Brendan
    Unfortunately this will only be fixed for R# 6 due to complexity of backporting to 5.x

24. Andreas says:

@Jura Ok, thanks for the information. Would be great if it could be done in this release.

25. Brendan says:

@Jura
    That’s a shame… One good reason to upgrade to R# 6 I suppose!

26. Carsten K├Ânig says:

Hi,
    just found this discussion – sorry for the *lag* on my side.
    I too have lag issues that bob and jason describes. But I don’t think it’s specific to large files or project.
    On my work I run VS2010 8-10hrs straight and on start I don’t have any issues at all. But after 5-6hours I run into those issues from time to time.
    You see – while typing I’m sometimes 3-4characters ahead of the screen and overall reaction time is poor as well.
    When I close all tabs (open files) the issues sometimes go away but I surely will if I restart VS2010.
    And yes this IS a problem with ReSharper – after deactivating it I had no problem for several days (but of course I somewhat like your features and so I cope with the restart from time to time).
    BTW: I’m using a very good 4-core with 12GB RAM at work and a 6-core with 4GB RAM at home. And the config don’t seem to make any difference (Win7 64 on boths systems)

BTW: can we hope for some F# – love?

27. @Carsten

Here are some steps you can take to try speed up typing and possibly overall responsiveness:
    * Disable both auto-format options under ReSharper | Options | Editor to avoid code formatting while typing
    * Turn off member signatures under ReSharper | Options | IntelliSense |Completion Appearance
    * Turn off ReSharper IntelliSense: choose ‘Visual Studio’ under ReSharper | Options | IntelliSense | General
    * Turn off ReSharper solution-wide analysis: disable “Analyze errors in whole solution” under ReSharper | Options | Code Inspection | Settings
    * Turn off the following options under Tools | Options | Environment | General:
    ** Automatically adjust visual experience based on client performance
    ** Use hardware graphics acceleration if available

I suggest that you take these steps one by one to see which of them has more impact on your experience with ReSharper than others.

If taking all these steps doesn’t help you, we’d appreciate if you provide us with a performance snapshot of VS+ReSharper on one of your work days. You can find profiling guidelines at http://confluence.jetbrains.net/display/ReSharper/ReSharper+Performance+Profiling+Instructions, and as soon as you have a snapshot, you can upload it to ftp://ftp.intellij.net/.uploads/
    Essentially this would be the only reliable way for us to find out what makes ReSharper so slow on your machine.

28. Jim Gale says:

Thanks for the tips. In 5.13 – this is still terribly slow. Type ‘abcdefg’ and the a shows up. 1-2 seconds later, the ‘b’, etc. This is a VERY small project – so that’s not a factor.
    And I just installed an SSD and all software upon it to speed up the system (so that’s not a factor either – totally fresh system with NO disk slowdown).

Only turning off the ReSharper IntelliSense did the trick.

Any plans for investigating/improving that slowdown?

Thanks

29. @Jim
    This is something abnormal and we’re definitely interested in investigating.
    We’ll get in touch with you via e-mail.

30. James Hood says:

@Jura
    I too have experienced the slow typing issue. In my case as well, turning off R# code completion prevents the issue. As you suggested to Carsten, I’ve taken performance snapshots and am uploading them to your FTP server. They were taken with R# 6.0.2129.73 (2011-04-13T07:45:18) and VS 10.0.40219.1. The problem also existed for me in R# 5 before trying out the 6 EAP.

31. @James
    Thank you! We’ll take a look at the snapshots. They’re just in time as we’re stabilizing R#6 prior to beta.