ReSharper 6 EAP is Open; Details on JavaScript Support

All ReSharper users, please kindly welcome ReSharper 6 Early Access Program that starts today.

Download ReSharper 6 EAP builds and watch that page for subsequent builds.

Why should you care? Here’s a couple of reasons why you should try ReSharper 6 EAP right now:

• You’ve been asking yourself, why oh why ReSharper doesn’t support JavaScript. Now it does.
  • You’re working with a lot of CSS and you’re struggling to sort it out. Highlighting, navigation and search features for CSS are now available to you.
  • You’re a VB.NET developer who’s looking enviously at ReSharper code analysis features previously available for C# only. ReSharper 6 introduces code inspections for VB.NET as well.

For those of you hesitating, here’s why may want to refrain from trying ReSharper 6 EAP at this point:

• EAP provides builds of that are not guaranteed to even run on your machine. They normally do run but certain features may not work as expected.
  • You’re expecting ASP.NET MVC 3/Razor support that we had earlier committed to provide. It’s not there yet but we’ll add it in forthcoming builds.

As usual, please report bugs and feature requests to ReSharper bug tracker. Let us know what you think.

We’ll be covering the functionality available in ReSharper 6 in a blog post series, and we’ll start from JavaScript – right now!

JavaScript Support

JavaScript support spans most ReSharper feature groups including code inspections, navigation, refactorings, and coding assistance.

Coding Assistance

JavaScript code is enabled with highlighting for keywords, methods, properties, and matching delimiters:

Syntax highlighting in JavaScript

ReSharper extends the scope of its code completion to JavaScript code, both in dedicated files and in inline script blocks within markup files. Smart Completion in jQuery code allows to narrow the myriad of applicable completion options to the limited set of jQuery properties:

ReSharper completion in JavaScript files

Navigation and Search

Whenever you open a JavaScript file, you can make use of ReSharper’s File Structure window to quickly understand how it’s organized:

File Structure in JavaScript

Go to File Member, which always goes hand in hand with File Structure, is available as well.

Find and Highlight Usages

You can find or highlight usages of a symbol inside a JavaScript file:

Find and highlight usages of symbols in JavaScript

Of course, you can also find usages of a JavaScript function in other parts of your solution:

Find solution-wide usages of a JavaScript function

If you’re browsing your solution using the Solution Explorer, you can see where in your markup files a certain JavaScript file is referenced:

Usages of a script in aspx files

Code Formatting

ReSharper 6 provides JavaScript code formatting that is traditionally available through Code Cleanup and configurable through the ReSharper Options dialog box:

ReSharper provides code formatting for JavaScript

JavaScript To-Dos

What JavaScript support lacks at this point is a solid code analysis engine incorporating both code inspections and quick-fixes. We’re going to add more code inspections (some of them are already available) and provide quick-fixes against them where applicable.

Look for subsequent blog posts for more information on CSS support, VB.NET improvements, and other red-hot ReSharper 6 features.

Once again, if you’re hungry to try JavaScript support right now, download ReSharper 6 EAP builds.

UPDATE. For more details on JavaScript support in ReSharper 6, see subsequent posts tagged ReSharper 6, including ReSharper 6 Enhances the JavaScript Experience and ReSharper 6 Introduces Support for JavaScript Unit Testing with QUnit.

This entry was posted in News and Events, ReSharper Tips&Tricks and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to ReSharper 6 EAP is Open; Details on JavaScript Support

1. Non-web developer says:

Don’t want to be a party pooper, but is there anything new in this version, which is not web or VB related? Now or in later releases?

In other words, other than bug-fixes, will there be any updates worth $150 upgrade fee for C# edition?

Cheers.

2. You gotta be kidding me. I’m super pumped about this. JS Code analysis is great but VB.NET Code inspection is amazing! Thanks so much R# you’re a life saver!

3. oooo yeah!! :)

Thank you!!

4. Daniel15 says:

Nice! I can’t wait to try it out. JavaScript and CSS support will be great! :)

5. @Non-web developer
    Sure, although JavaScript, CSS and Razor support are cornerstone points of ReSharper 6, this new version will bring plenty of features and improvements relevant to C# developers.
    I’ll not reveal them right now if you allow me but please watch for subsequent builds and blog posts covering new functionality to have a clear picture, which will hopefully allow you to decide whether the upgrade cost is worth it.

6. I tried to install it, but when running Visual Studio 2010, it asked for a registration key. My key to 5.0 is not accepted, nor can I start a 30 day trial. What gives?

7. @Adrian
    This is a bug.
    Please try restarting Visual Studio: ReSharper should restore a 30-day evaluation period.
    Please let me know if it worked for you.
    We’ll fix it in subsequent EAP builds.

8. Worked for me, just OK’d the trial (0 days) and then restarted.

9. Mike Ward says:

I would really like to see some kind of support for stand alone JavaScript files (i.e. not part of a project). I do Windows gadget development and use the IDE mostly as an editor (albeit with Intellisense and code completion) since gadgets don’t really fit the project template pattern in Visual Studio.

As to code inspections, I assume you’re familiar with JSLint. JSLint has been invaluable to me as a developer. I’ve integrated it into the VS IDE and modified the error reporting to be compatible with Visual Studio so I can dbl-click an error and go straight to the code. Here’s a link to some code I provide to do this.

Again, just to make my request clear, I want to open a *.js file outside the context a project and still get the code inspections and refactorings that you guys are famous for. Really looking forward to the next release.

10. Chris Martin says:

happy happy, joy joy!!! :P

11. tc says:

This is cool, I’m very excited about the new web features, but I hope you will also give us a significant amount of non-web features as well as improvements in what’s already in R# 5.

PS. Glad you are finally adding JavaScript support cause what VS provides now is almost a joke for such mature IDE. I’m sure you will do great job and show the Redmond team how it’s done! Good luck.

12. Joe White says:

Will you be able to support code folding in JavaScript?

13. Goat says:

I’m holding off buying ReSharper just due to the crappy fact that a license purchased now would not transfer to version 6. I realize that it’s fairly early in development still, but is R#6 something we can expect to see by Q2 of this year?

14. @Joe
    I’m not sure about code folding to be honest

@Goat
    Yes, we’re expecting to release towards the end of Q2.

15. Scott Wylie says:

The biggest problem I have had with R# for 3 versions now is out of memory problems on big solutions (especially with Entity Framework in the mix).

Have these memory issues been resolved? At least if you use VS 2010.

16. Tom Cabanski says:

5.1.2 seems to do quite well performance-wise and memory wise with a large solution (300K lines+ over 20 projects) on my machine.

17. @Scott

OOM issues are being resolved all the time. We’d like to have a look at your particular problem. Please leave a comment in this issue with steps to reproduce your OOM problem. Thanks

18. @Tom
    Thanks! That’s reassuring

19. Goat says:

@Tom Cabanski – OOM still happens all the time with R#5 in VS 2008. Our “minimal” project configuration is 40 projects (total solution is 110 projects), we have over 1.5 million LOC in our codebase. I’m really looking forward to seeing if R#6 solves this – the “large file” handling is especially relevant to us (sadly).

I wouldn’t categorize 300k lines as very large :)

If R# can go 30 days without the OOM’s in VS 2008, I may be able to get company support to purchase licenses in bulk, rather than personally having to shell out for it. It hasn’t come close to running for even a day without exceptions on our codebase yet though, which sucks, because I got really used to using it at my last job, and miss it very much.

20. Akhil Shastri says:

Hi !!!,

this is looking quit nice, but we r also expecting the frame
    work support like NHibernate, spring.Net etc..

will resharper help for us..?

21. @Akhil
    How exactly would you like ReSharper to support these frameworks? Please give us an example or two

@Goat
    Thanks for showing up! We’ll contact you for more info on the OOM’s.

22. Do you plan to add CSS3 support in any future releases?
    I notice that the current EAP version does not have this.

23. @Nathan
    We’re working to provide support for CSS3 in R# 6. It’s hard to tell how wide the support would be for R# 6 release though.
    Here’s the corresponding feature request. Please comment it with your thoughts on how you’d like CSS3 to be supported.

24. Eric Robishaw says:

Personally, I’d like to see 80% of the effort in version 6 go towards more performance and memory leak resolutions.

I admit, I’m addicted: I can’t seem to live without R#, but every now and then I’ll off-load it, and MAN is VS a BUNCH faster without R#… keyboard latency, crashes and HHHHUUUUGGGGEEEE memory footprints seem to go away when I offload it.

25. @Eric
    First of all, we do dedicate much effort into this.
    Have you ever tried contacting JetBrains with snapshots and use cases causing latency?

26. Integer Man says:

I love this. Yeah, VB hasn’t gotten a lot of love for a long time because the big draw has been C#, but this inclusion is great. Broadening the market is a good move, especially since other emerging tools are becoming better at code analysis / productivity for VB than ReSharper is. I want to be a proud to be a ReSharper user, and it WAS hard to do that when talking to people who use VB.

27. @Integer Man
    Thanks for your support
    Can I ask which tools you have in mind that you say are better for VB than R#?

28. Chris says:

Will the javascript tools include the ability to collapse functions and objects?

29. @Chris
    Do you mean code folding?
    Not really sure we will do that – certainly not right away.
    Top-class navigation, code analysis and refactorings are our top priorities right now.

30. Igor says:

I am very much looking forward to this release. I wanted to purchase a copy of Resharper for personal use at home but I am waiting to hear some type of announcement about free upgrade. For example; if you purchased Resharper 4.5 after Oct. 15 2009 then you don’t have to pay for the upgrade to Resharper 5.

I would like to buy a personal v5 license but don’t want to spend my own money buying the upgrade soon there after to go to v6. Does anyone know when the cut off date will be for for purchase date of v5 and get the free upgrades from v5 to v6?
    -Igor

31. @Igor

32. Robert says:

Love the new JS support! I have a question about the intellisense. Resharper is aware of the js functions but I’m unable to see any summary associated with the js function. I’ve tried a couple different comment formats such as the typical C# using /// and /// elements. Is this supported? If so, what’s the format it’s looking for?

Thanks

33. Robert says:

OK…my previous comment lost some of it’s comments since the editor removed it. In the last sentence it’s supposed to have the “/// summary element, and /// param element.

Thanks

34. @Robert
    Try moving XML doc items (summary, params) inside the function body. This will allow ReSharper correctly display them in its IntelliSense tooltip

35. Vasiliy Aksyonov says:

Are you planning to add support of pseudo-static type hinting (using comments) to improve JS intellisense and make JS refactorings more accurate?

36. @Vasiliy
    Please provide a specific code example that illustrates your request.

37. Vasiliy Aksyonov says:

function doSomething(element) {
        /** @var {String} */
    var something = “x”;
    return elemen.innerText + something;
    }

38. @Vasiliy
    If you have JSDoc items set on a function, then you can see these items in Parameter info when calling this function.
    Other than that, we’re not currently planning to dive into this kind of support.
    I’m expecting to write a follow-up blog post to let you and others know how we’re going to develop JavaScript support further.

39. Roberto says:

When do you plan to release resharper 6? mvc razor refactoring support is really urgent, lack of it basically makes resharper refactor obsolete since it wont changes your views

40. @Roberto
    ReSharper 6 release is still scheduled for late Spring

41. mattiasw says:

Nice to see that you will support JavaScript.

Will there be basic support for F#? I do not expect refactoring. But, for example, in R# v5, not even Navigate-Go To Symbol finds F# functions. The only thing found seems to be F# types and classes

42. @mattiasw
    We’re not planning to introduce F# support right now.
    We’d like it to be implemented as a community plug-in though, if enough people are willing to contribute

43. Ash Eldritch says:

Jura Gorohovsky said:
    “We’ll announce free upgrades ~1 month before release. R# 6 release is currently scheduled for late Spring.”

Argh! I bought three Resharper 5 licenses just now on the assumption that I’d get the free upgrade to 6… Is that not the case? If so, should I just get a refund and do without Resharper for a while?

44. @Ash
    Well yes, that was one false assumption (
    I’ll ask sales to contact you to find a mutually acceptable solution.

45. James says:

Just moved to Visual Studio 2010 and whilst doing that I’ve upgraded to Resharper 6 and I must say it’s really good :)

46. Bolo says: