ReSharper 5.1.3: Visual Studio IntelliSense bug fix release

Do you have ReSharper 5.1.2 installed?

Are you using native Visual Studio IntelliSense?

Are you annoyed by ReSharper turning off Parameter Information and auto-completion when you open new files?

If your answer is “yes, yes and oh yes”, please download ReSharper 5.1.3.

ReSharper 5.1.3 provides exactly one bug fix that prevents disabling Parameter Information and auto-completion when you’re using native Visual Studio IntelliSense (as opposed to ReSharper IntelliSense).

Please note that if you’re been using ReSharper IntelliSense as a workaround in 5.1.2, as soon as you switch back to Visual Studio IntelliSense, you’ll have to initially set Auto-list members and Parameter information check boxes manually, but that is only required once.

If you’re using ReSharper IntelliSense and/or if you haven’t previously upgraded to 5.1.2, you can skip the upgrade to 5.1.3.

This entry was posted in News and Events and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to ReSharper 5.1.3: Visual Studio IntelliSense bug fix release

1. Tadeusz says:

It doesn’t seem to fix the opposite situation though. R# keeps turning VS parameter information on, while I want to use R# ones. This results in VS parameter tooltips displaying over R# intellisense drop down. It was working fine in 5.1.1.

2. Kirill says:

Unfortunately, I couldn’t reproduce this behavior. Please try to reinstall R#. Do you have any additional addins in VS environment? Thank you.

3. ganesh says:

after upgrading to 5.1.2 visual studio kept hanging a lot i thought this update might help but it didn’t i am going back to 5.1.1 that was stable for me

4. @ganesh
    Have you addressed ReSharper support with your VS hangup problem, or reported it to ReSharper issue tracker?
    We’d be interested to investigate

5. DavidS says:

Does it fix the issue with intellisense being switched off when I break the code execution and try to do some editing?

6. ganesh says:

ok will address it to resharper support.

7. Denis Vuyka says:

There are still a lot of problems related to lambdas. I cannot use native intellisense because of that. Did you test something like colllection.OrderBy(person => person.Name) within foreach declaration or similar? It just does not work anymore.

8. Nathan Alden says:

Yes, I have also noticed the problem with the Visual Studio parameter info window overlapping the ReSharper completion window. I recall that it started happening with 5.1.2.

9. Florian Standhartinger says:

I have noticed another very annoying problem since resharper 5.1.2.
    When I am in the “Go to type” window (CTRL + T) and type my CamelHumps type search text any special chars will be redirected directly to the visual studio code editor instead of affecting the text I typed in the “Go to type” window.
    For example: I type “MainFro” (searching for my type MainForm) and then press Backspace twice beacuse I had want to correct my typo. What happens is that the “Go to type” window still displays “MainFro” and two characters within my code editor are deleted. Also the cursor up and cursor down keys are redirected to the code editor.
    It seems like your window doesent propertly own the focus or you use some kind of keyboard hook that misses out on special keys.
    Do you have any clues what to do about this?
    regards Florian

10. Tadeusz says:

Krill, I have reinstalled R# and can still easily reproduce the problem. For that I have ‘Automatically show parameter info’ disabled in R# settings. Then, when I hit ‘Resharper_COmpleteCOdeTypeName’ keyboard shortcut to bring up R# parameter info, it shows VS parameter info instead and turns on the VS parameter info which from now on always shows automatically. When I have ‘Automatically show parameter info’ enabled in R# settings all works fine, but I want to have it turned off and bring up only occasionally. I will be happy to send you VS and R# settings so that you can reproduce as this bug is really annoying.

11. scout says:

Has this release solved the problem of search highlighting (by ctrl+F) ? It doesn’t work since 5.1.2 in both VS2008 and VS2010.

12. @scout
    Ctrl+F is a Visual Studio feature. Are you sure you mean this shortcut?

13. Joe White says:

@Florian, I haven’t seen this behavior in 5.1.2 (though I use the JIRA keybindings so it’s Ctrl+N, but I assume it’s the same window). I haven’t tried the up and down arrows — they wouldn’t make any sense in a single-line edit control, so they never would have occurred to me — but I’ve used Backspace and it worked. So there’s something environment-specific. Do you have some other VS add-ins that might be doing something odd?

14. @DavidS
    This release provides exactly one fix that was not intended to affect ReSharper behavior while debugging.
    Is there a corresponding request in youtrack.jetbrains.net?

15. Florian Standahrtinger says:

@Joe: Well the up and down arrows make sense as soon as the list of matching types is found and displayed.
    I have got a number of add ins installed among them even one that I developed myself. Until now I had not noticed any problems arising from them but who knows.

Maybe someone at the Resharper team could give me a hint about how the keypresses are collected to your “search for symbols” window. Is it a standard .NET Windows Form with a textbox (maybe a DevExpress textedit control) that got a focus and thus does its own job in collecting the keypresses?
    Or do you have some kind of keyboard hook running to catch the characters as they are typed?
    If I have done something wrong in my add in that makes resharper miss some keypresses I would be thankfull for a direction to search for.
    Regards florian

16. Kirill says:

@Denis Hi, could you please provide a simple demo solution which could demonstrate an intellisense problems in lambdas. Thanks in advance!

17. Florian Standhartinger says:

@JetBrains: Well I found the reason myself why Resharper missed out on some keypresses.
    You can reproduce the problem if you add a control to the VisualStudio 2008 process using the SetParent() WinApi Method and do not assure that the original owner form of the control has set its TopLevel property to false.
    It seems that top level forms have some kind of hook on keypresses that is also used by resharper so that the top level form swallows away the keypresses before resharper gets aware of them.

18. Florian Standhartinger says:

@JetBrains: Sorry, now its broken again, the TopLevel-Property didnt work eighter, just seemed to but on the next start of VisualStudio I had the same Problems again. I will try to make a small example of how you can break the Resharper Keyboard hook and post it in your bugtracker. Regards

19. Swagata says:

I just installed 5.1.3. Previously I had 5.1.1763. Now visual studio does not show error symbols for any line of code. Intellisense is also not working.

20. @Swagata
    Are other ReSharper features available? Code generation (Alt+Ins), navigation features, unit test runner etc.?
    If these are not available, please check if you have ReSharper enabled in Visual Studio (Tools > Options > ReSharper). In case that it’s suspended, click Resume.

21. Steve says:

After updating to 5.1.3, VS2010 now uses 25% CPU constantly. What happened, no one QA’ed this? I’d prefer not to log this defect since you make us signup for some other system.

22. @Steve Which version did you upgrade from? Did you upgrade anything other than ReSharper?
    Btw, you can sign in to http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issues/RSRP with an OpenID account (like Google or Yahoo), and if you’ve ever used our previous JIRA installation, you can use your existing credentials.

23. Steve says:

I had 5.1.2, afaik. after 24 hours of VS being open, it has settled down. Not sure what will happen if I reopen it though. Also, when I opened VS after updating to 5.1.3, I was prompted about which shortcut system to use, even though 5.1.2 was set to use R#. Seems like it should not have asked…

Thanks for the quick response!

24. annoyed says:

I’m just pretty skeptical about resharper upgrades now due to this stupid intellisense fiasco introduced with 5.1.2, and I’d prefer to just stay with 5.1.1 since I don’t really trust your upgrades any more.

Is there any way to turn off the annoying update reminder I get when I start visual studio about a new version being available?

25. @annoyed
    Deselecting ReSharper > Options > Updates > Download the list of available updates from the web should do the trick
    We’re sorry to have betrayed your trust. However, you usually gain much more from upgrades than you lose.
    By the way, can you tell why you’re using Visual Studio IntelliSense instead of ReSharper’s? We’re pretty sure that R# IntelliSense is far superior to VS one but we’re really looking to know the reasons why a substantial part of our users don’t use it. Perhaps we can make it better following your feedback?

26. annoyed says:

I find it slows down resharper too much compared to Visual Studio’s native intellisense, and I find Visual Studio’s more intuitive. Resharper slows down Visual Studio substantially anyway, but it’s a trade off I live with. It’s most noticeable when opening a new project. However, in areas that aren’t critical, like intellisense, I’d rather have the extra speed. I spend enough time waiting around for my computer to keep up anyway, no need to add more wait time. And before you ask, no, my machine isn’t cutting edge, but it’s not that old either (~ 2 years, 2 gigs ram, 2.0 ghz dual core CPU).

27. @annoyed
    Thanks. That’s a perfectly valid reason.
    We’re going to publish an overview doc outlining ways to improve VS+R# performance soon which might help you.

28. Seb says:

@Jura
    One of the main reason I personally don’t use R# Intellisense is the selection of item lists. I think it should be as of VS. It shouldn’t be selected in a dark blue rectangle, because we can’t see what’s there anymore.

However this fix is well welcomed! Works great now.

29. @Seb
    Thanks for letting us know. I’ve created a request representing your concern in ReSharper issue tracker. Feel free to vote for it.

30. Paul says:

The same bug seems to (re)appear in Version 6.0!!

31. @Paul
    Do you mean the bug that prevents Visual Studio native autocomplete and Parameter Information to from popping up when you disable ReSharper IntelliSense?
    Also, please try one of the latest ReSharper 6.1 nightly builds to see if the bug appears there as well.