ReSharper 6 is Released!

We are extremely happy to announce the release of the new ReSharper: please download ReSharper 6 right now.

With this new release, we have gone way and beyond merely providing new features. We have added support for not one but three new languages: JavaScript, CSS and HTML, plus ASP.NET MVC 3 Razor view engine, making ReSharper 6 and Visual Studio one of the best environments today for developing web applications. In addition we also have implemented code analysis for Visual Basic .NET.

The features however aren’t limited to just new language support. Earlier in the year, we announced our new decompiler, which is built in to the core of ReSharper 6, providing integrated decompiling inside Visual Studio. Built on the philosophy of external sources, ReSharper 6 facilitates navigation of source code, whether it belongs to our solution, the .NET framework or any third party library. We also announced the availability of a new free standalone decompiler tool, which is currently in Early Access Program.

ReSharper 6 also provides a wealth of rich features for all language lovers. From new in-place refactorings, to enhancements in navigation and unit testing, new code transformations, code inspections for C#, improved XAML support, ReSharper 6 provides something for everyone.

If you prefer watching over reading about the new features, here’s a fresh screencast for you:

Also, we have previously blogged about some of the new features of ReSharper 6, and we’ll be keep doing that after release.

We have also opened our Early Access Program for dotCover 1.1.1 and dotTrace Performance 4.5.1 which are compatible with ReSharper 6.

We truly hope you enjoy this new release and know that we have already started working on the next version. As always, we’d love to hear your feedback.

Last but not least, if you’re after regular tips and tricks on ReSharper and release cycle news, don’t forget to follow ReSharper on twitter.

This entry was posted in News and Events and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to ReSharper 6 is Released!

1. CodeMonkey says:

Wohoo!! Pure awesomeness! Resharper 6 makes me excited about programming once again.

Every .NET developer that feels their coding stinks should buy this tool right away – makes your life so much better. Love it!

2. Sven says:

finally it’s done. you did a really great job with resharper 6. thanks a lot.

3. Vasiliy Aksyonov says:

Great news! When 6.1 EAP will start?

4. El Bruno says:

Great Job … I’ll try it ASAP !!! ^^

5. @Sven, @CodeMonkey, @El Bruno
    Thank you!

@CodeMonkey
    Fortunately ReSharper is not only useful when your code stinks but also when it shines and lives an intense life

@Vasiliy
    We haven’t yet decided on the schedule of 6.x EAP

6. Ooh says:

Hmm, mixed feelings here. Great to see the new version is released, but I honestly expected at least some improvements in performance and memory consumption. For the background: The first version I used was R# 1.5. That one and 2 and 3 were good, 4 a bit worse, 5 almost unusable. My machine is not the best on the planet, but on the other hand a quad core with 8GB of RAM and an SSD isn’t that bad…

VS standalone is lightning fast, but as soon as R# is installed it crawls. And so I’m more and more disappointed with each new version of ReSharper. Can’t you put at least some effort into tuning your product?

7. Hadi Hariri says:

@Ooh

We’ve actually put quite a lot of effort into performance for Version 6 and measuring we’ve gained in certain scenarios over 200% performance increase. I’m personally not running an SSD and only a dual core and 8GB and I have no issues. If there is an issue with your VS crawling, please contact me offline (hadi at jetbrains) and I’ll provide you with a tool to run performance analysis and see where the problem lies.

Thanks.

8. Joerg says:

Great job, very complete feature set!

May I ask which font you are using for the presentation?

9. Hadi Hariri says:

@Joerg

I think I was just using default Consolas size 12 (if not it’s Envy Code R). I today actually changed schemes again and didn’t save previous one so can’t verify, sorry :(.

10. Danny says:

Awesome! Thanks!

11. Hsin says:

I am trying the new version, but I do find that intellisense is significantly less powerful than the previous version.

I am using VB.NET, and sometimes when I type a few chars expecting intellisense to show some suggestions, it only shows a red light bulb with suggestions to create local variable or method etc, and at the bottom left of VS, it shows Cannot resolve symbol ‘variableName’.

Sometimes it works very well though. It is random, but when the red light bulb comes up, it won’t work no matter what I try.

I am using VS 2010 version 10.0.40219.1 SP1 Rel

12. @Hsin

We’d love to know what’s going on.
    In order for us to be able to fix that behavior, please write a bug report with an example of code where this problem can be reproduced, including a reference to the position of the caret when it reproduces.

Thanks! Hope this can be resolved soon.

13. Andrew says:

Great to see all the new features, love them

One I was hoping for was an advancement for “Implement member in derived classes”

When you do it from the derived class itself you have the option of implementing it abstractly, when you do it from the interface you don’t get that option.

Would have me for irritation…

14. David says:

Sorry boys, but after some heavy testing, ReSharper 6 is Beta ( if even ) and i am VERY disappointed…
    - It’s awefully slow in big solutaion ( even slower than 5 )
    - The “processing source code” in the bottom is always doing sth. ( i don’t know what exactly, but it’s consuming CPU time )
    - Clean, Build, Publish is not working properly… after i make a “publish” i suddenly got errors showing in my sources ( that some packages are not referenced, wtf? Build/publish were successful btw. )

I was always a fan of your products, but R# 6 is just too early and not well tested… uber-annoying…

15. @Andrew Is there a request for the improvement that you’re describing in ReSharper issue tracker? Please report it there if it’s missing there

16. F. Morrison says:

I recently moved into a new part of an existing project that uses a lot of jQuery and C# to render SharePoint 2007 webparts. I would not have survived without the new features of ReSharper 6 aimed specifically at helping developers work in .js files, specificially Find Usages, File Structure, Navigate/Go To Symbol and GoTo Definition, none of which work in Visual Studio 2008 Sp1 on .js files without ReSharper 6.

17. @F. Morrison
    Great to hear you’re ripping the benefits of v6 this much

18. Hsin says:

Regarding the first issue I reported: It is random, and I can’t reproduce it reliably either. It probably has to do with how you type, but I dont know.

Another problem: within shared methods, the warning “local variable … hides field …” pops up which doesn’t make sense. Within shared methods, there is no way we can reference fields so such warning is unnecessary.

19. @David
    Great you have let us know.
    1. To find out why ReSharper 6 is slow for you and make a fix, we will definitely need a performance snapshot from you. Here is how you can capture it
    2. We’ve had some reports on processing source code: some fixed for 6.0, others for 6.1. Here’s an example of a report like this. To find out what’s going wrong in your case, we’ll either need a sample solution where this can be reproduced, or a performance snapshot! Please file a bug report and provide us with one of these artifacts.
    3. As to the third problem, please create a bug report with clear steps to reproduce the behavior, and we’ll look into it.
    Thank you!

20. @Hsin
    Here’s a bug report on the second problem. Please add any relevant details as you see fit. A simple code sample won’t hurt in any case.
    Thanks for noticing this

21. Rui Lima says:

What is the font used in the code in the video?

22. Ian Ringrose says:

It is a pity that RSRP-244714 Add Named Parameters did not make it in. (As we are not doing web dev we don’t benifit from much of the new functions in V6)

23. Steve Warwick says:

Rolling back to 5.1. You can no longer run Moles tests with Resharper 6. There seems to be quite a few people who are complaining about this on YouTrack. Any chance you will fix this?

24. @Steve
    I can’t say for sure right now but I’m hoping we can do that for 6.1 (due in September)

25. @Ian
    ReSharper actually does have a context action “Add argument name” and a quick-fix “Remove argument name specification”
    Is it not the way you want it implemented?
    On another note, do you want named arguments for instant readability? Is it that you have long sequences of method calls with multiple arguments? Isn’t it the case for “Extract class from parameters”? Otherwise, doesn’t Parameter Info help quickly grasp which purpose a particular argument serves?

26. Hsin says:

Another Report:

“Loop can be converted into linq-expression” doesn’t convert correctly the following:

Dim re As New List(Of Integer)
    For Each recipient In Split(Request.QueryString(“toMemId”), “,”)
    If Not IsNaN(recipient) Then re.Add(CInt(recipient))
    RecipientIDs = re.ToArray()

converted into:

RecipientIDs = (From recipient In Split(Request.QueryString(“toMemId”), “,”) Where Not IsNaN(recipient)).Cast(Of Integer)().ToArray()

Code error is:
    System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.

The correct code should be:

RecipientIDs = (From recipient In Split(Request.QueryString(“toMemId”), “,”) Where Not IsNaN(recipient)).Select(Function(item) CInt(item)).ToArray()

Why? because Cast doesn’t work this way.. Cast only unbox/box things.

27. Hsin says:

Another report:

when using the My namespace, incorrect warning shows up. For example:

My.Computer.FileSystem….

“Cannot access Friend property ‘Computer’ here” shows up with red underline.

28. Hadi Hariri says:

@Hsin,

Thank you for your feedback and reports on issues. Unfortunately it’s hard to read code when posted on this blog in the comments and it’s also hard to keep track of issues. We have an issue tracker system that makes this easier and also allows you to be notified of changes. Could I please ask you to use that as opposed to the comments, giving us also steps to reproduce?

The URL is http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issues/RSRP

Thanks.

29. Hsin says:

I reported the 2 issues on the tracker.
    RSRP-273999 & RSRP-273998

30. tim says:

I want Resharper to work for me, but it is simply too slow on a large solution. I cannot even type responsively. Now installing dotTrace, but I doubt it will help. Running on a Core 2 Duo, 4GB. Maybe an SSD, 8GB rig is necessary? It seems to have gotten worse from 6 beta 3 to 6 rtm.

31. tim says:

It seems that dotTrace 4.5 is incompatible with RS6 so I wasn’t able to get to loading my solution, though in loading devenv it seems to be choking on JetBrains.VsIntegration.Package.VsPackageSdkStub.SetSite (for a whopping 176,554 ms).

32. tim says:

What is the user/password needed to upload files to ftp://ftp.intellij.com?

33. p says:

Well, I type a few characters and….why is the CPU usage so high? This is with ResSharper IntelliSense OFF.

34. @tim
    dotTrace 4.5 is only incompatible with R#6 in the sense that it doesn’t integrate with R#6 to profile unit tests.
    Have you been able to upload a snapshot to ftp://ftp.intellij.net/.uploads/? It’s set to allow anonymous uploads but as soon as you’ve uploaded a file, you won’t see it listed: this is normal.

@p
    Try cleaning up the caches (ReSharper > Options > General > Clear caches) and turning off any other VS plug-ins that you have. If it doesn’t help, please capture a performance snapshot and we’ll investigate.

35. Stefan says:

Does Resharper 6.0 support the Silverlight Unit Test Framework (from the Toolkit)?

36. @Stefan
    Silverlight unit testing is only available through the AgUnit plug-in

37. Juri says:

Just disabled it. 8GB, 3,6Ghz Core2Duo, VS2008 and Resharper6 = I can’t edit anything.

100% cpu load. I press a key in editor and then wait 3-5 seconds, until I can press another one. I can’t do anything…

It becomes SO MUCH SLOWER, than 5th (not even speaking about earlier versions)… Yes, my solution is pretty big, but it WAS pretty much usable before and not anymore.

Sorry guys, but this kind of slowness is just too much.

38. @Juri
    This is not normal of course.
    Do you have any other plug-ins installed, especially those related to VCS interoperability? Do you work with TFS?
    If disabling other plug-ins and/or disconnecting from TFS doesn’t help the case, we’d love that you take a performance snapshot for us to investigate. If there’s a performance problem that we haven’t yet fixed post release, we’ll schedule fixing it for the upcoming version 6.1
    Thank you!

39. Juri says:

No plugins. No TFS. Tried to clear caches. Temps & projects on the SSD.

ps. Installing dotTRace now, will let you guys know. Thank you!

40. Pjer says:

Also tryed new Resharper version 6 trial. VS with no plugins, no TFS, clean install, very large solution, very fast PC… almost unusable! especially when editing .ASPX files… to bad… (sometimes less is more)

41. @Pjer
    Does the solution contain large amounts of auto-generated code?
    Can we ask that you profile ReSharper in your environment following these guidelines? This would help us detect the root cause of the problem and potentially fix it for the next release.

42. Sean says:

R# 6 is about to get uninstalled on my (exceedingly fast) computer. I’ve used R# for ages and this is incredible.
    - ctrl-N, type -> delay
    - html = damn near uneditable
    - open .cs file, hit the method dropdown… snooooze
    - typing = delayed response

Not sure how much time I’m willing to invest in debugging something that should be pretty easy to recreate on your end as this happens on a brand new MVC application.

43. Hadi Hariri says:

@Sean,

What you’re experiencing is not normal and trust me if it were it would have been solved long ago. If you want to contact me (hadi at jetbrains dot com) I’d be more than happy to try and investigate and even do remote desktop to try and find out what the issue is. You’ve not left contact details….

Thanks.

44. Al says:

It’s very slow. I disabled all VS plug-ins. I’m thinking on getting my money back. This is my third time trying Resharper and every time I was disappointment with performance. Please release a new version.

45. Al says:

perhaps, it’s the code analysis component. I disabled that and everything is fast now.

46. @Al
    Sure, we’ll release an upgrade soon (6.1) that would include performance improvements. Hoping that it would be fast enough for you to use ReSharper’s code analysis.

47. Performance is real bad says:

The performance for version 6.0 is real bad. My company recently bought licenses. I will be recommending to return those licenses. There seems to be no solution apart from disabling Resharper as of now. I was really impressed with what it did earlier but now very disappointed as it take 3-4 seconds just for typing a single character.

48. Hadi Hariri says:

@Performance is real bad

Have you contacted support about this? Is it a particular issue that we’ve found in 6.0 which is fixed in 6.1 or is it something else? Having your contact details or real name would help to try and solve your problem.

49. Cory Thomas says:

Performance is horrible, even in a smaller solution.

We bought licenses for our entire team. BIG mistake. Half the developers have already had to un-install it :( I guess we’ll be fighting for a refund.

50. @Cory Thomas
    That doesn’t sound any good. Sorry about that.
    However, have you contacted ReSharper support? They could be able to detect the reason of your performance issues and suggest a workaround.
    If you decide to go for a refund though, I don’t think you’ll have to fight for it – you can just get it.

51. Pratik says:

Performance of R# v6 is very bad so I had to revert it to v5.1

The v5.1 is very good and I love working with it. I am using R# with VS 2008 and VS 2010 and both yields good results on dual core 2.2 GHz, 3GB RAM. I ensured my computer does not have extra softwares/device drivers (disabled from computer management) which I do not need as it may slow down R# background process.

I would look for a good performance version of R# 6 when I would be working on ASP.NET MVC Razors, 2-3 months down the line :)

52. JohnOpincar says:

R# 6 is slow as hell for me too. A huge disappointment. When I see all these complaints I find it hard to believe these are unusual situations.

53. Hadi Hariri says:

@JohnOpincar

John ReSharper 6 has certain issues with specific types of projects and we have hopefully resolved them all in 6.1. It would be great if you could try it out. At no point are we denying that there have been issues with 6.0.

54. P says:

Are you going to release a version (soon?) that integrates with TFS code analysis?

55. @p
    Can you elaborate on that please?
    Do you mean the ability to run ReSharper inspections as a TFS pre-build step, or are you talking about something else?

56. Ken Ehrman says:

okay, resharper 6.1 is killing me. straight up killing me.

i have the same story that many people on this thread report — I have an I7 Dell with 16GB RAM and SSD HD, Win7 VS2008 all with latest patches/service packs. Without Resharper, working in Visual Studio 2008 is as expected. With Resharper, I can’t even type.

No TFS, but a very, very large solution.

When I first launch VS2008 w/Resharper, it’s reasonable, but it never lasts. Soon into every session, my VS slows to an unworkable crawl.

remove R# and everything is fine.

with R#, I. CAN’T. EVEN. TYPE. WTF?

57. Hadi Hariri says:

@Ken

I’m guessing we’re good to continue this with the email thread we started previously? Last I checked, we’re waiting on some tests from you…

Thanks.

58. Andrew says:

Same goes with our workstations. To even type something, you have to wait 10-15 seconds for every name or word.
    Performance is terrible.

59. @Andrew
    Is this also happening with the latest version 6.1.1?
    What are the specs of your workstations?
    Can you profile ReSharper and share the resulting snapshot with us so that we can investigate?
    Thanks

60. Matt B says:

Just upgraded from 5.1 to 6.1.1 and am very disappointed with the responsiveness of the product. It’s breaking my flow and becoming a major annoyance. And this is on a core I7 3.2 GHz, 16 gigs Ram, and a SDD.

Looks like it’s back to 5.1.

61. @Matt B
    This is unfortunate and not really expected since v6 has undergone tons of performance optimizations since its original release.
    Is there any chance that you capture a performance snapshot of ReSharper 6.1.1 running slow and provide it to us for investigation?
    Thanks

62. Hadi Hariri says:

@Matt,

Can you also please make sure you delete the cache on the upgrade? Often it happens that a cache of an older version causes these issues. Please do so and let us know.

Thanks.

63. Matt B says:

I cleared the cache via the Options dialog, but this had no effect.

Any other suggestions?

Matt B.

64. Hadi Hariri says:

@Matt,

Then it’s some other issue. We need to have performance data to try and find the cause. Could you please follow what Jura was mentioning about creating performance snapshots and sending it to us so we can take a look?

Thanks