ReSharper 6.1 EAP for Visual Studio 11

We recently announced the availability of ReSharper 6.1 EAP which includes initial experimental support for VS11. What wasn’t included was an installer, which made the whole support pretty much useless. We only realized this after shipping it and someone tweeting “WTF is VS11 checkbox?”

FAIL!

In all seriousness though, we knew that this was missing. We had intended to provide a VSIX that allows you to install ReSharper 6.1 in VS11 on the same day of the release of EAP, but it didn’t happen. However, that VSIX is now available, and you can obtain it from the nightly build (which btw have resumed) page, as well as the SDK. The evaluation license key for the VSIX is also provided. To install it into VS11, merely close down the IDE, double-click on the VSIX and you’re done.

If you have any issues please report them here or on our forums.

This entry was posted in News and Events, ReSharper Tips&Tricks and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to ReSharper 6.1 EAP for Visual Studio 11

1. Gordon Freeman says:

That’s a lot better!

In VS2010, I have a bug I won’t report because I see in Youtrack it already has been reported more than 200 times: the CreateHostController one. It seems related to ReSharper not finding something in the dotTrace assemblies, thus impeding the use of dotTrace with the ReSharper test runner. My guess is that it will be corrected in an incoming EAP build of one of the two tools? I reinstalled the whole IDE and tried the last dotTrace 4.5.1 EAP build without success.

And also a silly question: on the 4th of November you were at build 11493. Now you’re at build 12309. Did you really build the application 816 times in less than one week?!

2. Gene says:

Attempt to double click / install vsix file and receive the following error message.

Visual Studio Extension Installer
    This extension is not installable on any currently installed products.

I have VS 2010 & VS 2011 on my machine. The R#6.1x SDK installs OK.

3. orangy says:

Yes, we have lots of builds. Almost every change results in a separate build on our TeamCity.

4. Michael Foltz says:

The configuration and performance updates for 6.1 are a great improvement. Great work! One pain point I still have is with the css intellisence. When you begin typing a declaration, the autocomplete list is a bit too eager, and ends up replacing a new selector I’m trying to type with an existing one in the list. This one feature is a show stopper for me using the CSS intellisense. Is it possible to disable this in the configuration without turning off intellisense for CSS entirely?

5. @Michael
    We have new language-specific (and context-specific) IntelliSense options in 6.1. Try going to ReSharper > Options > IntelliSense > Autopopup > CSS, and setting “On identifiers” to “display but not preselect”. Does this help your case?

6. Paul Betts says:

Wow, thanks a lot guys, looking forward to trying it out!

7. tivadj says:

@Gene
    +1. Have the same issue to install RS6.1 to VS11. Any suggestions?

8. agris says:

Have the same issue with installing RS6.1 to VS 11. I have only VS 11 on my win 8 machine.

Thanks

9. hfguk says:

Same issue with VS 11 here. Any help?

10. @Gene, @tidj, @agris, @hfguk
    Do you use this VS11 Developer Preview build?

If instead you’re using VS11 Express that’s bundled with Windows 8 Developer Preview with developer tools, you can’t install ReSharper as it’s the Express version of VS that doesn’t support extensions.

11. hfguk says:

Thanks Jura. I was indeed using VS11 Express. After installing VS11 DP, ReSharper extension is installed successfully.

12. Neil Mosafi says:

It doesn’t appear to detect my unit tests. Neither NUnit or MSpec.
    Is this supposed to be working?

13. Jacob says:

Looks like the link is out of date.
    The ‘nightly build’ link takes me to a download page for Resharper 7.

14. @Jacob