ReSharper 7 EAP for Visual Studio 11 Beta is now OPEN!

As you may know, on the 29th of February, apart from an Azure outage caused by a leap year bug, Microsoft also released Visual Studio 11 Beta and Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Immediately we started getting tweets asking when we’d support the Beta. In fact we already supported it. We had it working internally, but needed to test a few more things before opening it up. After a few days of testing, it now looks like we have a reasonable enough build to release out in the public.

Before you proceed to play with ReSharper in VS11 Beta, let us prevent false expectations with a few important notes:

• If you have previously installed ReSharper 6 VSIX for VS11 Developer Preview, please remove the obsolete VSIX through Tools | Extension Manager.
  • The download is an MSI installer and it only works in Visual Studio 11 Beta. You won’t get ReSharper 7.0 EAP installed into Visual Studio 2010 or 2008. Support for these will come later on.
  • Installing ReSharper 7 EAP for VS11 Beta will keep earlier versions of ReSharper in Visual Studio 2010, 2008, and/or 2005. You can still use ReSharper 6.x or earlier in these VS releases, and at the same time have ReSharper 7.0 EAP installed in Visual Studio 11 Beta.
  • VS11 Beta support means that ReSharper 7 EAP plays nice with VS11 Beta in most scenarios that involve existing code bases. There are known issues here and there, and we’ll be looking to fix them as we go further with this EAP. The EAP will culminate with the release of ReSharper 7 Preview for VS11 Beta later this month.
  • As usual with ReSharper EAPs, this is an evaluation version. As such, you do not need a license key and your license key for 6 will not work. When it runs out, just download a newer VS11 Beta-compatible ReSharper build.
  • Currently there is only basic support for asynchronous solution loading, a new feature in VS11. We are working on this and it will be supported in full.
  • Currently there is no support for WinRT projects: expect false positives from ReSharper code inspections in these. Again, we are working on this and it will be supported.
  • However, some VS11-specific support is already there: for example, ReSharper can open stuff in provisional tabs when you navigate and search for usages; it makes its commands available through Quick Launch and the updated Solution Explorer.

And once again, this is a very early EAP release. Use with extreme caution. We know that many of you really like to have ReSharper and as such, have decided to open the EAP as soon as possible.

And remember, any and all feedback is welcome. Although we listen to all channels, including comments here, twitter, email, or forums, for bugs we prefer you file them directly in our bug tracking system. That way, we make sure it doesn’t slip and you’re also aware of the progress.

Now that you feel you’re ready, download ReSharper 7 EAP for VS11 Beta.

This entry was posted in News and Events and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to ReSharper 7 EAP for Visual Studio 11 Beta is now OPEN!

1. Michael says:

Hi!

This is very interesting news. Looking forward to trying it out. In this context. Will there be a free upgrade to those who already purchased R#6, like it was with the upgrade from R#5 to R#6?

Regards, Michael

2. Igor Skomorokh says:

Guys you are unbelievable! Thanks a lot!

3. Hi Michael,

No free upgrade campaigns are scheduled in foreseeable future. The reason for this is that we’re still very far away from the final release of ReSharper 7, the timing of which depends on the timing of VS11 RTM, and Microsoft is yet to announce it.

4. Jeremy Foster says:

So great! Increases my developer joy.
    @codefoster

5. Pieter says:

Is a license available that runs beyond the standard 30 days? My ReSharper 6 license isn’t accepted.

Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don’t make the icons in ReSharper gray too. The colors of the icons really are necessary to differentiate results in e.g. the symbol names search results.

6. Hadi Hariri says:

@Pieter,

Per the blog post, it only runs in eval. Licenses do not work yet. You will need to update as we release new EAP’s.

Thanks.

7. Michael says:

Thanks for the information, Jura!

Regards, Michael

8. Anton says:

Is there any reason my ReSharper colors disappeared after installing this EAP? They also aren’t in the Fonts and Colours options dialog. Nor do they appear to be anywhere in the registry. What can I do to get them back?
    I must note that if I restore a .vssettings that has ReSharper colors in it, they come back, but disappear as soon as the FontsAndColors/Cache registry key is deleted.

9. Klaus says:

as you mentioned it is really a very early build. It throws tons of exceptions, the options screen suddenly stops working and i can’t apply my own color scheme. The default color scheme is unusable with the dark theme of Visual Studio. But the core functionality seems to be working. For me i will deinstall and wait a couple of builds before i will try the EAP again.

10. Hadi Hariri says:

@Anton,

If you go to Tools | Options | Fonts and Colors and hit OK, without changing anything, do they come back?

11. Hadi Hariri says:

@Klaus,

If there are specific issues, please let us know by logging them at http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issues/RSRP. Will greatly help us find the problems.

Thanks.

12. James says:

When are you going to update the UI to look like it’s actually part of VS and not like a Java app? All the ReSharper UI elements look so out of place and non-standard.

That sample screenshot shows the same UI style that was in VS.NET 2003.

13. Richard says:

Does this mean you’re not planning to release any more updates to the 6.x line? There’s still quite a few outstanding bugs for those of us who don’t live on the bleeding-edge.

14. Hadi Hariri says:

@Richard,

We continue to support ReSharper 6.X and this does not necessarily mean that there will be no more releases. I would urge you though to send me links to issues you’ve logged or are aware of that are critical. My email is hadi at jetbrains dot com.

Thanks.

15. Anton says:

@Hadi Hariri,

They dont. I’ve had them disappear in VS2010 after each new ReSharper installation and Tools | Options | Fonts and Colors -> OK was how I always fixed them. But then, they were in the list of colorable items (whatever its called) back then – this time they aren’t.

16. Hadi Hariri says:

@Anton,

Can you please file the issue at http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issues/RSRP?

Thanks.

17. Dave says:

I just bought 6 2 weeks ago, I would hope we get a free upgrade.

18. @Dave

You don’t need an upgrade to use pre-release R# 7 builds.
    However, as soon as v7 releases, if you want to upgrade to it (which you don’t have to), the upgrade will be paid.

19. Dave says:

So you’re saying I have to pay for R# 7?

20. Dave says:

I didn’t ask to use pre-release. I asked if I’m gonna have to pay another $150 in the next 2-3 months when I just gave you $150 for R#6 a few weeks ago.

21. Hadi Hariri says:

@Dave,

This is an early release, mainly to support VS11. We have not yet talked about when we are going to release Version 7 or how far off that is. Once these details are public, information about upgrade plans will also be disclosed.

22. Cheick says:

Is there a list of planned features ?
    any chance of added support for F# ?

23. @Dave
    First, you don’t HAVE to pay for an upgrade unless you decide that a new major version adds features that you find valuable enough to pay an upgrade fee. If you’re fine with v6, you can use it as long as you want: your license is perpetual.
    Second, we’re not talking about next 2-3 months and not about a full cost again. Upgrade rate is usually 60% of new license price.

24. @Cheick
    Feature set for v7 is in progress right now, we’ll be sharing it closer to RTM.
    F# will definitely not make it to this version.
    However, we’re working right now to make sure that any additional language can be supported as a ReSharper plug-in.

25. Shawn says:

Does DotCover work with this very of ReSharper?

26. @Shawn
    At this point, we don’t provide dotCover builds compatible with R# 7 EAP for VS11 Beta

27. Urs Meili says:

The EAP build works really well. The biggest problem is that we LOVE the new Dark theme on VS 11, but with this theme, some of the R# menus are very hard to read. E.g. the first enty in the Ctrl+N (find type) dialog is “black on almost-black”. Please fix this soon :-)

28. @Urs
    We will. We’re working on theming support and overall fine-tuning graphics

29. Arnaud D says:

If I buy ReSharper now will i have 6 or 7 ?

30. @Arnaud D
    You’ll have 6. 6 is the current official version, and 7 is still a very early preview that plugs into another pre-release product )

31. Jeremy Foster says:

I have 3 days remaining in my trial. I saw the comment that said you only need to reinstall a newer version, but I have and it installs fine, but it does not reset my trial period. Any advice?

32. Sebastian Burgstaller says:

“Free evaluation period has expired” – Please, JetBrains, provide us with a new trial license!

33. @Jeremy, @Sebastian
    We’re looking into the eval problem right now. Hoping to deliver a build that resets the eval today.

34. @Jeremy, @Sebastian, @All
    A new build is available on the EAP page that resets the evaluation period.

35. James Manning says:

Checking the EAP page here:

The ratings seems to be going the wrong direction in recent builds (and my own experience reflects this, as I’ve had to revert back to the March 13th build from the April 3rd one).

Is this normal for an EAP cycle? Is there something EAP users do different/better/more to help out? Is this just a reflection of some needed changes that are causing some temporary instability?

36. James Manning says:

whoops, looks like I accidentally a word in that comment. :)

37. @James
    This is most likely a reflection of merging and stabilization work that is in progress here on the team. Particularly we’re introducing asynchronous solution loading and WinRT support and this doesn’t go smoothly.
    We hope to get back on track quality-wise in one or two weeks.

38. jlo says:

My March 13 Build has 4 days left before running out. Given the stability issues rught now, what would be the “best” build to move to if I’m not using Win RT or async?

Thanks – Jeff Odell

39. @jlo
    I’m currently running April 2 build and it works ok for me. This is possibly the best choice as previous builds could have issues with short evaluation while some of the further builds could be unstable.

40. Cristian Gavrilut says:

Current build runs ok for me excpt few bugs that I raised in your bug tracking system. Any progress regarding performance issues -memory/cpu ?

41. @Cristian
    Thanks for reporting the bugs first of all!.
    As to performance/memory issues, we’re currently fixing them on ad-hoc basis since the EAP is nowhere near (and is not expected to be near) release quality. We’re usually working specifically on performance and memory usage optimization within ~1 month before release.
    That said, you’re very much welcome to profile your Visual Studio instance as outlined in this guideline and raise performance issues in the issue tracker. We’re doing our best to investigate all specific performance problems that we receive from users.

42. Ag says:

As I understood you need to download and reinstall nightly builds as they come out. Resharper’s autoupdate won’t work with eap. right?

43. @Ag
    Yes this is correct. The auto-update functionality does work but we haven’t triggered any update notifications for v7 EAP just yet.

44. jlo says:

@jura Thanks for the tip – that version seems to be hanging in there.

45. Mike says:

We have upgraded fully to VS11 and we are kind of used to resharper by now. Is there any plan so that we can use it again? We cannot buy and there is no newer version to continue EAP atm.

46. @Mike New versions are coming out every day. Quality varies but you can really choose a build that works for you. QA and support say build 24 and above works good.

47. Emmanuel Huna says:

I know you said “Currently there is no support for WinRT projects”.

Early support for Visual Studio 11 Express soon would be greatly appreciated. I’m working on Metro apps and I feel naked without Resharper.

48. @Emmanuel

Unfortunately ReSharper doesn’t support Express editions of Visual Studio. Neither do other extensions because Express is not extensible.

49. Mike says:

@Jura

Thank you, didn’t realize that with newer version we got an updated license too.

50. Kieron Lanning says:

Hi,

Resharper 7 has just told me it’s going to expire in three days…? Installed the latest version this-morning…

51. Me says:

Thanks for finnaly allowing vs 2010 installation.

52. Julian says:

Great product, although it kills me that I cannot use the Dark theme with ReSharper, unless I spend a lot of time tweaking all the default colors, which I won’t (I prefer to just bitch about it :P)

53. @Julian Thank you! And yes, it’s ok, everyone around is bitching all the time, we’re fine with it )
    Speaking of colors, we’re working on supporting custom themes for v7. The corresponding changes are expected to be merged into EAP very shortly (I guess in a week or two)

54. Brett says:

Hi guys, awesome product! Does this support the recently released Visual Studio 2012 RC??

55. Thanks Brett!

Yes ReSharper 7 EAP can be installed in RC.
    We’ll start publishing RC-recommended builds right there in the EAP page later today.

56. Guillaume says:

Hi,

“Free evaluation period has expired”

What am I supposed to do ?

Thanks !

57. @Guillaume
    You’re supposed to download and install a fresh EAP build )

58. Guillaume says:

@Jura

I’m installing a new EAP almost every day.
    I also tried to uninstall manually then install a new one, but still… :s

Thanks !

59. George says:

Same here. I install new EAP versions almost every day. Now the evaluation period has expired.

No where to go.

60. Guillaume says:

With today’s release it’s ok.

Thanks !

61. @George, Guillaume, all!
    Indeed, there is a problem with availability of a bundled license in recent EAP builds. We’re working on solving the problem right now.
    Until it’s settled, please use a temporary license available on the EAP page.
    Please excuse us for the confusion.

62. Lazie says:

It would be nice if there was an option that displays a black line separating the methods, as in VB.
    Who does not like it disables the option, and who like or are familiar with the VB can enable this option. It’s something simple, and I bet many people would like.

Thanks.

63. Pratik says:

I am very satisfied by the features and performance of R# 7 EAP builds with the Visual Studio 2010 except for the few broken builds. Please can you give me the tentative release date of R# 7 so that I can plan for an upgrade? Thanks once again for a great product

Regards,
    Pratik

64. Hadi Hariri says:

@Pratik,

Thank you. We’re glad you’re liking the new features. Regarding upgrade, if you purchase 6.1 now you’ll get free upgrade to 7. In terms of the actual date, I can’t confirm but I can say that it will be soon.