ReSharper 7.0 is Released

Ladies and gentlemen, a fresh official ReSharper release has finally arrived! Download ReSharper 7.0, the new major version of the awesome Visual Studio productivity tool.

ReSharper 7.0 is an important update for all .NET developers, bringing more ways to refactor, inspect, and generate code. Early MS technology adopters should also appreciate support for Microsoft Visual Studio 2012, as well as support for Metro style application development for Windows 8.

We announced what’s inside version 7, before but as a reminder, ReSharper 7.0 highlights include:

• Full integration with Visual Studio 2012 while maintaining support for Visual Studio 2005, 2008, and 2010. For obvious reasons, we’ve been testing on Visual Studio 2012 RC and we haven’t had a chance to verify smooth integration with Visual Studio 2012 RTM. However, as soon as RTM is available to us, we’ll see if it contains any breaking changes, and if we find anything, we’ll be quick to roll out a minor update. (See How Exactly ReSharper 7 Supports Visual Studio 2012.)
  • An extensive pack of functionality for developers looking to create WinRT-based Metro style applications. (See Windows Runtime Support in ReSharper 7.)
  • New code inspections and contract annotations for a more robust .NET code quality analysis.
  • New automated code refactorings, including the top requested Extract Class to decrease code coupling.
  • Additional code exploration features helping visualize hierarchies of polymorphic members and CSS styles.
  • An extended and fine-tuned code generation toolset. (See Code Generation Improvements in ReSharper 7.)
  • INotifyPropertyChanged interface support pack to improve productivity of Windows Forms, WPF and Silverlight application developers. (See INotifyPropertyChanged Support in ReSharper 7.)
  • Removing unused assembly references across the entire solution.
  • Extended web development toolset, including improvements to JavaScript support, and initial support for ASP.NET 4.5 and ASP.NET MVC 4.
  • Addition of two previously unsupported Microsoft development technologies: LightSwitch and SharePoint.

For a more detailed overview of these and other improvements, see What’s New in ReSharper 7.0. To keep getting insight on ReSharper 7 highlights, make sure to watch ReSharper 7 posts here on the .NET tools blog.

A quick note on plug-in compatibility. Right now, five plug-ins provide releases compatible with 7.0: xUnit.net Contrib, Agent Mulder, Agent Smith, and ActiveMesa R2P and MSpec Test Runner. We’ll be assisting the community in updating other popular plug-ins, such as StyleCop and AgUnit, for 7.0 compatibility in coming weeks.

A final quick note is for buyers and upgraders: if you have purchased a ReSharper 6 license on or after June 1, 2012, you qualify for a free upgrade to ReSharper 7.0. All you have to do is download ReSharper 7.0 and enjoy.

This entry was posted in News and Events and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to ReSharper 7.0 is Released

1. Duane says:

I’m unable to upgrade my Personal edition Resharper 6 C# edition to 7 C# edition, is this a known problem?

2. @Duane No I don’t think so. Can you please detail what actions you’re taking and what goes wrong? Please e-mail me with at jura.gorohovsky at jetbrains.com if you like.
    Thanks

3. David says:

I upgraded my Resharper to version 6 last year in September, I thought this allows you to upgrade free within a year and use the same key? Or does this only apply to Team City?

4. @David
    A part of our products provide 1 year of free upgrades – this includes TeamCity, RubyMine and PhpStorm for example.
    However, IntelliJ IDEA and ReSharper are licensed per major version, giving you minor updates within the purchased version but not major upgrades.

5. Justin Pierce says:

I am also unable to upgrade my 6.x license to 7.0. I am trying to upgrade a personal/C#/3.x-6.x license to a 7.0 C# license. After entering my old license key, I am presented with an empty cart. I am able to upgrade to a full 7.0 license, but I really have no use to the VB.NET part of the product.

6. Roland says:

I am impressed. It seems faster than R#6 in the same solution :) Already upgraded to R#7 Full Edition.

Looking forward to working with it tomorrow.

7. Igal Tabachnik says:

Congratulations to the team for another excellent release!

I have been using ReSharper since version 2.5, looking forward to many many more years of amazing productivity!

8. Carel Lotz says:

A while back you ran a poll on Facebook to determine whether what licence model the community wants for ReSharper. The majority of the feedback was in favour of a yearly subscription model as this makes it easier to budget for and you can get discounts for yearly renewals etc. It seems like you guys haven’t made the change as it is still licenced per major version?

9. Howard van Rooijen says:

Congratulations to the Team! I know a lot of hard work has gone into it and the result is excellent! Keep up the good work and I hope everyone is going to have a nice holiday!

10. Dave says:

I think I’m having the same problem as @Duane. I’m trying to upgrade from 6 C# edition to 7 C# edition, both personal. I choose the options on the upgrade page, click “upgrade now” and get redirected to a page to enter my current licence key. I enter my key and then get redirected to another page that just says my basket is empty. I can’t see any way from that page to add an upgrade to the basket.

11. Richard Smuts says:

Same problem trying to upgrade 6.x personal license (c#) to 7.x personal license (c#), initially asked me for my key, entered it in, and now the cart that pops up is blank and the only options for purchase it provides me are IntellJ IDEA, Resharper 6.1 Full (Commercial license) and YouTrack unlimited user pack.

12. Sven says:

I have the same problem as Dave and Duane. I already send Jura an email to let him know about this issue. :)

13. Richard Smuts says:

Should point out that my 6.x license was itself an upgrade from 5.x.

14. Dave says:

Mine was also an upgrade from 5.x

15. Steve O says:

I think it’s outrageous that a newly licensed 6 doesn’t get a free upgrade to 7. We purchased mid-May. I’m also upset that UK users have to pay about 20% more than US users too (at that’s not tax, just piss-taking). I think my company has had enough of being ripped off and it’s time to evaluate whether we get value from this tool.

16. Sven says:

Mine was also an update but tried it with the old licenses (4.5, 5) and same issue. I guess upgrade products are not yet available in the shop. Well we can use it 30 days for free anyway :)

17. To everyone who’s experiencing the issue with a blank shopping cart:

The problem has been identified as affecting v6 C# to v7 C# edition upgrades and v6 VB to v7 VB edition upgrades. A fix is being tested right now and should be deployed later today.

As soon as it’s ready, we’ll let you know by commenting her and updating ReSharper twitter (http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper)

Sorry for the inconvenience everyone. Hoping it’s going back to normal very soon.

18. Petr K. says:

Only purchases after June 2012 are eligible for free upgrade?! Are you kidding me? Our company has been paying for the tool for many years now, but this can easily turn if the licensing policy situation does not change.

As a side note – have there been any performance improvements for VS2010?

19. My team mates here at JetBrains are reporting that the issue with blank shopping cart has been fixed, and further personal license upgrades from v6 to v7 should now work smoothly.

Please excuse us once again for this hiccup, and let us know if you face any other purchase and upgrade related issues!

20. El Bruno says:

Great job! after several months with the EAP I’ll get finally the final version :D
    Let’s go for it, and once more time: Good job !!!

Regards

21. @Roland
    Thanks! Let’s hope it keeps being fast for you. Please let us know if you face any performance issues: we’ll be sure to investigate for the next minor release.

22. @Igal
    Thanks a lot dude!
    Good luck with developing Agent Mulder btw: you seem to have found a great niche.

23. @Carel
    Yes, we haven’t made the change yet. We didn’t actually plan doing anything revolutionary for this particular release but we’ll be investigating opportunities further because as you’re correct to point out, a substantial amount of customers favor a subscription model. The problem is getting it right both for you, customers, and for us, the vendor.
    You can imagine that abruptly changing a licensing model for one of a company’s revenue driving products is not quite an easy move: you really have to find the safest path )

24. Igor Skomorokh says:

Congrats!!!

25. @Howard
    Thanks a lot! Great that you’re liking the result, and we’ll make sure to arrange a party or two before getting back to work on 7.something

26. Mohamed Mansour says:

I love the new CSS features! Great work JetBrains!

27. @Steve O
    There’s a complex story with exchange rates for UK customers. Not sure we can do anything significant with this but we’ll take a look.
    If you feel like you’re being ripped off, please contact a JetBrains sales rep and discuss the situation.
    As to whether you’re getting value from the tool, we’re naturally interested that you were getting the full value. Please let us know if you need help evaluating and possibly fine-tuning the way you’re using ReSharper, we can arrange that.

28. @Petr K
    Can you please clarify your situation to your JetBrains sales rep?
    They’re usually helpful and understanding if there’s anything really weird going on in terms of payments.
    How exactly would you like the licensing policy to change?
    As to performance improvements for VS2010, please take a look at this list which does contain fixes relevant for VS2010.

29. @El Bruno
    Thanks so much! Hope you’re enjoying 7.0.

30. Tadeusz Dracz says:

Nice work on the new version. One thing I liked much better in 6.1 was the color and icons scheme.

31. @Tadeusz
    Thanks
    You might want to play with icon set options available via ReSharper > Options > Environment > General

32. Steve O says:

@Jura Gorohovsky Last time I contacted sales about the exchange rate I was met with indifference and disinterest. I would happily pay in USD and save my company 20%, but for some unknown reason this isn’t possible. As far as I can tell you aren’t a US company so I don’t know why there is such a huge disparity in price. Worse still, I’m offered an upgrade price in USD, which I take to accounts to get approved, and when I go to make the upgrade, I’m shifted to GBP at a significantly higher price with no option to actually pay the USD price originally offered. I have to go and get approval from accounts again and try an explain to them why the price has suddenly gone up 20%.
    I’ll try contacting JetBrains sales again and see what they can offer me, but I’m not in the least bit hopeful. I suspect I’ll have to tell my team to uninstall and manage without.

33. @Steve O
    Thanks for elaborating. I’ll make an inquiry to find out what was the problem with your previous contact.

34. @Steve O
    I’ve discussed this with our sales dept, I guess you’ll be able to work out a mutually acceptable solution.

35. Alan Lulko says:

Hello,
    I’m experiencing a significant performance hit with the new Resharper 7.0 in Visual Visual Studio 2010 Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel. Specifically any “right-click” within VS takes at least 2-3 seconds. In addition, code navigation, typing delays are supper annoying. We’ve upgraded from 6.1 version and now I can’t even do work. I tried “Suspending” Resharper and performance greatly improves. We just bought 26 licenses and I hear the same complaints from other developers. I’ve uploaded VS Profile dotTrace data and hope that there is a fix for this. Thanks

36. @Alan
    Thanks for letting us know and for profiling your VS instance. This will certainly help us solve your problem. If you have submitted the snapshot along with contact data, we’ll find your snapshot and investigate as soon as possible.
    Two quick questions:
    * Have you tried the latest bugfix release, 7.0.1? If you have, is it any better than the initial 7.0 release?
    * Do you have any Visual Studio plug-ins installed in addition to ReSharper?

Thanks

37. Holger says:

If i obtain a V7 license, will it work with V5 ?

38. @Holger
    What exactly do you mean? Will you be able to enter a ReSharper 7 license into a ReSharper 5 installation? If my understanding is correct, then yes, you should be able to do so.