ReSharper 7.0.1: Bugfix Update Available

We’ve just released ReSharper 7.0.1: a minor update that fixes many of the issues that users have encountered with the initial 7.0 release. Please download ReSharper 7.0.1 if you feel that any of the following improvements are relevant to you:

• Memory consumption and performance fixes in SharePoint projects. Thanks to timely reports that we were receiving on high memory usage and freezes with SharePoint projects, we’ve made quite a bit of SharePoint-targeted memory and performance optimizations. There’s another SharePoint related fix which is for an incorrectly working path mapping feature in SharePoint apps (RSRP-328782.)
  • In fact, there are more memory and performance optimizations in ReSharper 7.0.1 such as fixing OutOfMemory exceptions with advanced usage search in libraries (RSRP-328767), reducing overall memory traffic (RSRP-328636), accelerating code completion in JavaScript (RSRP-328940) and removing a memory leak in Unit Test Explorer (RSRP-328626.)
  • “Close All Documents” is back. There was an unfortunate regression in 7.0 that a lot of users were unhappy with — that is, a missing action for closing all documents in Visual Studio 2010 and below (RSRP-328720.) The action is safely back now.
  • An annoying usability problem that’s been bothering those who take advantage of ReSharper’s naming style quick-fixes has been finally fixed: ReSharper 7.0.1 introduces a more natural order of actions that fix inconsistent naming issues (RSRP-273952.)
  • A couple of rare but serious issues with ReSharper caches has been fixed: specifically, ReSharper 7.0.1 shouldn’t clutter your hard drive with its cache files (RSRP-324162, RSRP-328956); nor should it block the initialization of solution-wide analysis (RSRP-329295.)
  • A bunch of issues in high-contrast theme has been fixed, including those related to underlining warnings and suggestions (RSRP-328990), highlighting usages (RSRP-328988), inadequate colors in Templates Explorer (RSRP-328987), and poorly visible text (RSRP-328979.)

For the entire list of fixes for 7.0.1, please see ReSharper 7.0.1 Release Notes.

Everyone who have had issues with version 7.0, please download ReSharper 7.0.1 and let us know if the update is working better for you.

This entry was posted in News and Events and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to ReSharper 7.0.1: Bugfix Update Available

1. David Martin says:

Installed 7.0.1 and it appears to have wrecked my ReSharper install. Unit Test Explorer no longer lists any unit tests from the solution. Unit test code windows no longer show the Resharper quick menu where I could select Run, Debug, Add to Session. In Resharper Options | Code Inspection | Settings is completely blank. I have no way of turning Solution Analysis back on. Luckily this is on a test dev machine where we look at updates like this.

2. David Martin says:

I should have added: I am running VS2012 RTM on Windows 7. I upgraded ReSharper 7.0 to 7.0.1. I have tried with existing solutions which worked yesterday and created brand new solutions – neither worked. Lastly, not sure if it is related or some new VS2012 feature, but now when I open a solution (or it gets reloaded due to solution file changes) all – every single – unit test will automatically run. We have 1,000s with quite a few that are long running nightly UI tests. So at best that is annoying when you don’t expect it and just need the solution open.

3. Kirill Falk says:

David, thanks for the feedback. Sounds interesting, some kind of “unreproducible magic”
    Could you please try to perform full uninstall and reinstall R# 7.0.1. Also, please delete all R# files from solution folder, program files and so on. Before reinstall / repairing , also delete files from %localappdata%11.0extensionsjetbrains
    Let us know ASAP about results.
    Thanks in advance!

4. Ken says:

Yay! Close all is back… I can now die happy (funny how little things like this can be sorely missed when it’s gone)

5. @Ken Yep. Now imagine how one would feel being deprived of the entire ReSharper )

6. Christian R. says:

Just to let you know:

after the download Norton 360 tells me that there might be a problem and deleted the setup file.

Here is the (german) message:

Kategorie:Behobene Sicherheitsrisiken
    Datum/Uhrzeit,Risiko,Aktivität,Status,Empfohlene Aktion,Pfad – Dateiname
    29.08.2012 21:40:37,Mittel,resharpersetup.7.0.1098.2760.msi (WS.Reputation.1) erkannt von Download-Insight,Isoliert,Behoben – Keine Aktion erforderlich,c:usersgab211downloadsresharpersetup.7.0.1098.2760.msi

Kategorie:Quarantäne
    Datum/Uhrzeit,Risiko,Aktivität,Status,Empfohlene Aktion,Pfad – Dateiname

7. Thanks Christian. This looks like a false positive since we don’t have any similar reports. Can you create an exception for the file? Does Norton also block other .msi files that you’re downloading?

8. Colin Asquith says:

Everything seems a bit snappier for me, thanks for keeping up the good work!

9. KD says:

Installing this version, will do an Uninstall and Reinstall automatically. You can do a manual uninstall if you want.

10. Stian says:

Hi,
    running Resharper 7.0.1. on VS11 on Windows 7 gives me an issue with extension methods in different assemblys. Resharper says it can’t resolve, but it builds just fine.
    Fix on the way?

11. TATWORTH says:

7.0.1 looks good – no abnormalities detected so far – thank you Jet brains!

12. DoorSlammer says:

I’m badly missing the CTRL+W, W functionality to expand the selection. These shortcut keys now always open a browser window, which I absolutely don’t like!
    Is there a way to re-enable the “old” behaviour?

I’m really used to it and it’s definitly boring to close browser windows a day long…

13. @DoorSlammer
    We haven’t removed this functionality, it should be safely there. It is possible that another VS plug-in or a VS update has reassigned this shortcut. Please go to Tools > Options > Environment > Keyboard, and make sure that Ctrl+W is still mapped to ReSharper.ReSharper_ExtendSelection.

14. @Christian R
    We’ve received today another complaint reg. Norton 360 blocking the download.
    A third-party virus check shows that the 7.0.1 distribution is free of any malware.
    We’ve contacted Norton to investigate this false positive.

15. kfalk says:

Stian, please provide us with a simple solution which could demonstrate extension methods problems. I can’t reproduce it on our side. Thanks in advance!

16. DoorSlammer says:

@Jura Gorohovsky
    You were right! Tweeking the keyboard mappings a little helped a lot….
    Thanks anyway and sorry about

17. Stian says:

@kfalk – I was not able to reproduce in a new project. So I deleted the _Resharper.ProjectName folder and restarted VS. That did the trick! I hope that helps you in reproducing.

18. Christian Helle says:

Is there support for running Windows Store App (formerly Metro style app) unit tests?

19. @Christian Helle
    Not at this point. AFAIK it’s scheduled for 7.1: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/RSRP-313866

20. David Martin says:

Here are my findings so far:
    1. I rolled back to 7.0.97 and everything went back to working.
    2. Rolled forward to 7.0.1 to confirm that the problems from above came back.
    3. Uninstalled and deleted %localappdata/JetBrains
    4. Reinstalled 7.01 – problems were still there
    4.a. During this install Norton 360 reported blocking a file “libleveldb.dll” saying it contained a threat of “Suspicious.Cloud.7.F – Risk High”
    5. Turned of Norton 360
    6. Repaired ReSharper 7.0.1
    7. Launch VS2012 – All appears to be working with ReSharper.
    8. Turned Norton 360 back on.
    9. Launch VS2012 – all issues from above reappear. During launch Norton once again reported the threat.

21. David Martin says:

Quick update: Dug into Norton’s history and found that it had blocked the exact same file that it did during the install. I restored and excluded this file. Relaunched VS 2012 and all problems go away. I feel 100% confident this is the root of the issue. I’m trusting this is a false positive.

22. @David Thanks a lot for investigating this! Hoping that Norton can help us resolve this.

23. Felickz says:

Sounds like @David Martin deserves reimbursement for his liscense fee after that diagnosis!

24. @Felickz
    Which diagnosis?

25. Robert Wafle says:

If you have Norton 360, you can do this to restore the libleveldb.dll easily doing this:
    1. Right click the Norton 360 icon
    2. Select “Open Norton 360″.
    3. Click “Tasks” tab if it is not already selected
    4. Click “Check Security History”
    5. Review your history to find this entry: (You can filter by “Resolved Security Risks”) if your list is long…

Category: Resolved Security Risks
    Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Path – Filename
    2012-08-29 12:30:11,High,libleveldb.dll (Suspicious.Cloud.7.F) detected by Auto-Protect,Quarantined,Resolved – No Action Required,c:program files (x86)jetbrainsresharperv7.0binx86libleveldb.dll

6. Click “Restore and Options” in the right of the popup.
    7. Click “Restore and exclude this file” (excluding from future scans).
    8. Then, click yes.

Of course, I make no claim this actually isn’t a virus but resharper sure is working after I did this :)

26. Thanks for the workaround Robert!
    We’re still waiting for a response from Norton. Unless they can prove that it’s not a false positive (which seems unlikely since all other scanners don’t detect any threats), we’re assuming that both ReSharper 7.0.1 and LevelDB library that is actually being put to quarantine are all clean.

27. Jason Coyne says:

I have the same problem as david (except I do see something in the Code Inspection settings), – basically I dont see any unit tests in resharper nor the unit test menu options.

I am not running norton, and the libleveldb.dll is in the directory as expected.

28. @Jason
    Can you please contact ReSharper support with this? I guess we’ll need more specifics to solve your issue.
    Thanks!

29. Yngvar Johnsen says:

Thanks @Stian, I had the same problem with extension methods from other assemblies being reported as missing methods. Deleting the ReSharper cache solved the problem. Sounds like you should make sure the folder is regenerated on next version, @kfalk.

30. Kirk Woodhouse says:

I have the same issue as Stian and Yngvar running running Resharper 7.0.1. (Build 7.0.1098.2760) on VS11 on Windows 7 and on VS12 on Windows 7. In my case it is associated with Machine Specifications. I have tried both 0.5.9 and 0.5.10 of MSpec. I initially thought the issue was with MSpec. Removing and reinstalling MSpec appeared to resolve the issue. But on a later restart of VS12 the problem reappeared.

31. @Kirk
    If this issue correctly describes your problem, then it should be fixed in ReSharper 7.1 EAP
    Please let us know if this helps.

32. Jeremy Bell says:

I am experiencing the same issue as well with ReSharper being unable to find Extension methods in certain assemblies.

When I suspend, and resume ReSharper, the issue goes away for a while.