ReSharper 7.1 is Available

ReSharper 7.1 is released
You knew ReSharper 7.1 had been underway for some time, and now, the day has come: ReSharper 7.1 is officially released and available for download. You’re welcome to grab the new ReSharper update.

Some of the reasons why you would want to do this include:

• Performance and bug fixes: since releasing version 7.0, we have fixed over 300 performance problems and bugs! Special notice goes to performance fixes for SharePoint and ASP.NET MVC projects, as well as those for resource files.
  • Improved code formatter: considering that code formatting is a very sensitive area of functionality, we have implemented some of the most demanded code formatter improvements so far. For example, ReSharper 7.1 is able to format XML doc comments and chained method calls. We’ve recently blogged in detail about code formatter improvements.
  • Reviewing code and sharing ReSharper code inspection results with team mates is now easier, thanks to improved export functionality, as well as a way to copy code inspection items and convert them to work items. To learn more about this, see Easy sharing of ReSharper inspection results in the 7.1 EAP launch blog post.
  • Support for Windows Phone 8: if you’re already using Windows Phone 8 SDK to develop applications, ReSharper 7.1 is here to help you. How exactly? Read a recent blog post about Windows Phone 8 support
  • Support for VB.NET has been refined with Extract Class refactoring, new quick-fixes and improved IntelliSense.
  • XAML support is now considerably smoother in terms of code completion, typing assistance, naming style control, and code generation. The guy who’s in charge of XAML support has recently blogged about this.
  • INotifyPropertyChanged support pack now covers more usage scenarios relevant to Windows Forms, WPF and Silverlight application developers.
  • Other improvements include fixes in multiple refactorings; improved support for Entity Framework 5, ASP.NET, ASP.NET MVC, and JavaScript.

ReSharper 7.1 is a free upgrade for everyone who owns a ReSharper 7 license or a ReSharper 6 license purchased since June 1, 2012.

If you’re using ReSharper with plug-ins, they’re being tested for 7.1 compatibility. Most of them should be available for download in the coming days.

Please download ReSharper 7.1 and let us know how it works for you!

This entry was posted in News and Events and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to ReSharper 7.1 is Available

1. Blake Niemyjski says:

Congrats on the release!

2. Robert Hanlon says:

I just downloaded 7.1 and now Resharper no longer recognizes my unit tests, which were done in xUnit version 1.9.1.1600 and ran great in R# 7.0. Is anyone else having this issue?

3. Robert Hanlon says:

@Jura
    Thanks, that did the trick. Btw, for any other xUnit/R# users out there, Matt Ellis says that he will be releasing an updated version of xUnit.Net Contrib later this week to match up with 7.1 RTM. Be aware that the current release is lacking install.bat files!

4. Arlen Yan says:

I installed 7.1 and now VS2012 is having trouble loading Resharper. Looking at ActivityLog.xml, I see this:

Could not load file or assembly ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\JetBrains\ReSharper\v7.0\Bin\\JetBrains.ReSharper.Product.VisualStudio.v11.0.Package.dll’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

It appears to be attempting to load the 7.0 binary still, not the 7.1 binary. Repair did not help, so I’m still trying to figure out how to fix this.

5. @Arlen
    Are you installing the release build?
    Some users are experiencing similar issues installing 7.1 under certain circumstances. Does this bug report feel similar to your situation? If it does, please put a comment under the report and we’ll work with you to find a solution.

6. Jordan says:

This release seems very poor.

Errors are not being marked as errors in all instances and all my private methods are being marked as unused. The same applied for some local member injected resources, although used some are highlighted as unused.

Reverting back to 7.0

7. Arlen Yan says:

@Jura That seems like a different bug, but the suggestions there seem relevant to my problem. I’ll give those things a shot as soon as I have time. For now I’ve reinstalled 7.0 and that seems to work. Thanks for the suggestion.

8. @Jordan
    We’d love to have a repro case because as far as I know, this is the first time anyone is reporting behavior like this.
    It would really help if you file a bug report.
    Thanks

9. John O says:

Resharper 7.1 is still an unbearably slow POS. I’m fed up with this product. When I first started using it, it was great. Each release it gets crappier and crappier and at this point, I have to start looking at alternatives.

10. @John
    Not feeling great hearing about your experience with ReSharper. Usually it’s the other way around: users feel performance improvements with every newer release.
    I assume your development box meets ReSharper system requirements (most importantly, 4GB RAM or higher, Windows Vista or above)
    You’re of course free to look for alternatives but it would be much more useful for you and for other users if we knew what’s going on in your case performance-wise and applied relevant fixes.
    With that in mind, please consider sending a performance snapshot to JetBrains. This is easy to do these days: select ReSharper > Help > Profile Visual Studio, and as soon as you have a snapshot that represents your performance issues ready, upload it to our FTP server using a special dialog box.
    Thanks!

11. Bhanu Gotluru says:

I see a problem in the way MSTest unit tests are run from ReSharper, after the upgrade.

We have some unit tests where we use some exernal files for input and we give relative paths to those files in the test. Before the upgrade, the base directory (for the relative path) seemed to be the /bin/Debug folder.
    After upgrade to 7.1, it seems to have been changed to C:Users\AppDataLocalTempTestResults\In folder.
    Obviously, it doesn’t work in a shared & distributed environment.

Please let us know how to fix it.

Bhanu

12. @Bhanu Gotluru:
    We apologize for this.
    Please try this build – http://download.jetbrains.com/resharper/ReSharperSetup.7.1.1000.338.msi.
    It’s a private dev build which includes some fixes for this issue.

Please let me know how it goes.
    Thanks!

13. Bhanu Gotluru says:

@Alex,
    Thanks for the new build. This seems to be better, but still doesn’t seem to be correct. The base dir for the tests in the earlier versions (& in native MSTest) is that …//bin/Debug
    The base dir with the private build is as follows:
    …TestResults_ Out

Using this, we can create relative paths for local directories from which we can read local files. But, since this is different from earlier version, we have to go and change all the references. This is a small issue. The bigger issues is that – We use MSTest directly for some test automation & this would take the different path & hence the tests would fail.

I had created an issue for this problem — http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/RSRP-336046

14. Bhanu Gotluru says:

@Alex,
    There seems to be some loss of information because of HTML: Please note the corrections to earlier post:
    The base dir for the tests in the earlier versions (& in native MSTest) is that …<solution dir>/<Test Project dir>/bin/Debug

The base dir with the private build is as follows:
    …<solution dir>TestResults<userid>_<machine name> <date-time>Out

15. Eric Eijkelenboom says:

Alex,

I tried out build 7.1.1000.338 and the performance issue persists (VS2012 Update 1, MSTest).

Best, Eric

16. Alex says:

My team has started using Visual Studio through a Mac via parallels. Everything runs great except when resharper is enabled. Visual studio continuously hangs on start up and never recovers. We run Visual Studio in admin mode and are using Resharper 7.1, Windows 8, VS 2012 and Parallels Desktop 8. Everything runs great except when we have Resharper enabled. Have you guys tested resharper with this type of setup? Do you have any setup recommendations? We are all running on macbook pros that more than meet resharpers minimum requirements.

17. kfalk says:

Hi, Alex

Could you please mail me directly Kirill.Falk@jetbrains.com and I’ll try to help you. I’m using R# under Parallels at home and haven’t seen any crashes. Thank you.

Kirill Falk
    .NET Team QA Lead
    JetBrains Inc.

18. Pavel Stratil says:

Hello.
    I’m using Reshaper7.1 in VS2010 and it’s great.
    But I’m currently trying WPF and editing XAML was really sluggish. Turning off Reshaper speed up the editing (with only MS intellisense).
    I have looked around and find this http://blog.lebosquain.net/2012/08/responsive-xaml-editing-with-resharper/
    This trick with the registry helped.
    “Close all Visual Studio instances, then open the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareWow6432NodeMicrosoftVisualStudio10.0LanguagesLanguage ServicesXAML (don’t forget to remove Wow6432 if you’re not using a 64 bit OS) and change the dword value CodeSense from 1 to 0.”

19. Pavel Stratil says:

Sorry, forgot to write, that with this update in the registry, reshaper returned to normal speed.

20. Shubhrajit says:

I am using Resharper 7.1.3 and I have observed that in VS 2010 the base directory is showing the exact path and my all unit test cases are working fine without throwing any exception but when I am going to debug my code in VS 2012 with same resharper it throws error just because the base directory path is C:Users[username]AppDataLocalTempTestResults[username]_[machinename]2013-05-24 12_05_23Out.

I think some settings issues are there but I am not sure.
    Please help me.

21. Alexander Kurakin says:

@Shubhrajit Could you please apply the actions from the following FAQ article – http://devnet.jetbrains.com/docs/DOC-1332? It should help.
    Thanks!