IntelliJ IDEA Flex Support

We’ve created a short live demo, showing some of IntelliJ IDEA Flex support features during the process of creating a simple Hello World with Flex from scratch. The demo explains how to create and configure a project, author the code and run your (probably first) Flex application. You can watch the demo online or download a zip archive. If you need more information about IntelliJ IDEA Flex support, see this feature page.

This entry was posted in Demos and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA Flex Support

1. Christopher Mason says:

Could you please describe the status of maven flex support? I see IDEADEV-32647. After importing a maven pom in build 9757, no swc or resource bundle dependencies are recognized. When I try to add a flex facet manually, it behaves oddly: forgets the path to the flex SDK, forgets the flex library, etc. Hit okay and try to compile and it seems to be giving jars to the flex compiler:??

/Users/cmason/.m2/repository/org/testng/testng/5.1/testng-5.1-jdk15.jar

which causes errors during flex compile.

I’ve tried three different flex maven systems (flex-mojos, israfil, and servebox). I’ve had the most success with codebox. Which do you recommend/support?

Any hints you could give would be most appreciated.

-c

2. Anton.Makeev says:

At the moment we only support flex-mojos plugin, all the swc dependencies should be correctly recognized and configured.
    If you have problems with it, please open a JIRA issue
    (http://www.jetbrains.net/jira).

Thanks,
    Anton Makeev

3. Chris Shepperd says:

Can you describe the status/roadmap for Flex refactoring? This is an area of great frustration in the Flex Builder world, and one where IntelliJ usually shines but not so for Flex yet. Thanks.

4. Maxim.Mossienko says:

Rename, introduce variable / constant / field, safe delete are in IDEA 8.1 Several refactorings (extract/inline method, change signature, move file / constant) are planned for IDEA 9

5. Mary says:

My flex client in MAIA (IDEA 9 EAP) fires up IE even though html file type is associated with firefox in my environment. How do I set MAIA to fire up firefox instead when the flex client starts?

6. AlexanderD says:

Mary,
    unfortunately it is the behavior of Flex debugger (fdb tool).
    Please see comments of the issue for details:

7. Mary says:

Alexander,
    Thanks for the info on fdb using IE, and for keeping the ticket open.

8. mspwong says:

I am trying to use IDEA’s flex compiler for the first time and am having some trouble with it. My project is setup with 2 modules: 1)a flex module and 2)a java module with spring and web facets. I am building my java module with my ant script, but want to use IDEA’s builder for the flex module. The flex compiler settings has a place for the “Main class”. It’s a webapp project, and a flex module to boot — it does not have a class with a main() method. Without the Main class set, running the flex module results in a popup prompting me to choose a Main class. Any suggestion/insight out there?

I am using the latest Maia build (90.116). Is the video demo’ing working with flex in Maia out yet?

Thanks,
    -Mary

9. Alexander Doroshko says:

Mary, I’ve answered you in the forum: http://www.jetbrains.net/devnet/message/5248685
    As for video demos – they are not up-to-date because some changes in UI were made since then. But general idea was not changed so you may find Flex demos useful. See also BlazeDS demo: http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/training/demos/blaze_ds.html

10. eddie vedder says:

What’s wrong with good old documentation in pdf?

Or maybe I’m crazy..

11. Alexander Doroshko says:

Eddie, there’s no reference to any pdf on this page.
    There was some old pdf about Flex support in IntelliJ IDEA in a different blog entry from early 2008. And it is really outdated because since then Flex support has been improved greatly.

12. anu says:

I am trying to setup my Idea 8 for a flex module. I have added some external swcs as dependencies. But in my mxmls the classes in the swc show up as red. If I add source the red goes away. This works in most cases but there are some for which I am not going to be able to add source. swc dependency should be added just like jars, right?

13. Alexander Doroshko says:

anu, consider using IDEA 10, release candidate is already available http://confluence.jetbrains.net/display/IDEADEV/IDEA+X+EAP
    Or at least IDEA 9.0.4. Flex support has evolved SO MUCH since IDEA 8! As far as I remember SWC dependencies usually worked in IDEA 8 as well, yes, SWCs should be attached in the same way as JARs in case of java. If it doesn’t work – update is the only way.

14. Steve Thompson says:

I am using the latest version of IDEA 10 (98.486) with a Flex project, and I have to say that I absolutely love the power this gives me over Adobe Flash Builder (AFB). However, there is one thing that AFB can do that IntelliJ cannot, and it is driving me crazy. My project was originally created with AFB and communicates data back and forth with some .Net services that I’ve developed. This works great, but compiling the project in IDEA and launching it gives me the following when I try to communicate with my services:

faultCode:Client.Error.MessageSend faultString:’Send failed’ faultDetail:’Channel.Connect.Failed error
    NetConnection.Call.Failed: HTTP: Status 404: url: ‘http://127.0.0.1:3107/Gateway.aspx”

Currently I get around this by also keeping AFB in memory, which somehow seems to fix the problem. But I would really like to send AFB packing – is there anything I can do configuration wise to overcome this obstacle to using IDEA exclusively?

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

15. Alexander Doroshko says:

Steve, something seems to be different in compilation settings in FB and IDEA. Please add something like -dump-config=c:/fb_config.xml to FB project additional compiler options and compare generated file with IDEA’s compiler configuration. We may continue discussion at our forum http://devnet.jetbrains.net/community/idea/ideacommunity or issue tracker http://youtrack.jetbrains.net Please attach information about compiler configuration and we’ll try to find the difference.

16. Nick says:

Is there a user group or forum for intelliJ IDEA-Flex users? I’m using IDEA 9.0.3 with Flex SDK 4.1 and am really frustrated and why IDEA doesn’t work as expected… I’m previously an FB user and am considering switching our dev team to FB for productivity reasons.

e.g. I add KapInspect_Flex4.swc to the libs folder and the auto code inspection. CTRL + ALT + SPACE doesn’t find anything. I have to manually add the namespace but Kap Inspect isn’t actually working when trying to launch it.

If anyone can help with this one, that’ll be great.

Cheers,
    Nick

17. yole says:

Nick,
    There is no Flex specific forum but you’re welcome to post Flex related questions in the general forum:
    Also note that there has been a large amount of Flex related fixes in IntelliJ IDEA 10 and 10.5, so I strongly recommend upgrading to the latest version.

18. Nick says:

Hi Yole,

Thanks for the reply… I’ll read about the v10.5 updates.

Do you have plans to create a dedicated Flex forum? Perhaps http://devnet.jetbrains.net/community/idea/flexdevelopers would do the trick and would filter out the flex guys from the non-flex guys.

Cheers,
    Nick

19. Alexander Doroshko says:

Nick,
    in IntelliJ IDEA is it not enough (correctly speaking – it is not required) to place library to some special place to make it available in highlighting/completion/compilation. You configure libraries at File | Project Structure | Modules | [your module] | Dependencies tab. You can configure library folder (probably it has buggy name in IDEA 9 – ‘Jar folder’) and in this case adding/removing SWC will be automatically picked.
    Indeed IDEA 10.5 has a lot of improvements though all basic things like SWC libraries should work in IDEA 9 as well.
    I’m ready to answer all your further question at our forum by link posted above.

20. Nick says:

Also… I don’t suppose there are any London based seminars or updated tutorials on getting the most from IDEA?

21. Alexander Doroshko says:

Come to Flash On The Beach conference in Brighton and meet us at the booth!