Compact Create Class Action

In the upcoming Maia EAP you won’t find separate actions for creating classes, interfaces, enums or @interface anymore. Just one action that does not clutter your desktop — New Java Class.
This does not mean you won’t be able to create interfaces, enums and annotation types, though:

The same functionality will be available for Groovy classes.

This entry was posted in New Features and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Compact Create Class Action

1. Peter Niederwieser says:

Good idea, but maybe there is a better name than Java Class? How about Java Type ?

2. Leszek says:

Thanks for the info. I was a bit surprised when I want to create an enum. Now I see the point ;-)

3. Peter Gromov says:

Peter,
    We’ve considered ‘Java Type’, but rejected it. It would be a confusing (e.g. ‘create new double[]‘) and not easily recognizable by a freshman. And all these Java types we can create are really classes.

4. Christian Schwanke says:

Neat idea :-)
    I like it a lot – the “new” menu can get quite crowded if you have several plugins enabled.

5. Leszek says:

Sorry, byt how can I invoke popup? I;m using Maia 10322 and Tab, Space, Enter, Ctrl+Enter etc. doesn’t work :/

Thanks

6. Peter Gromov says:

Leszek,

It appears like a bug. Is the popup hiding shortly after showing? Do you have Copyright plugin enabled and working? If yes, the fix will be available in the next EAP. Otherwise, please provide more details on what’s happening.

7. Leszek says:

Hi Peter,
    I never see this popup and I’m using Copyright plugin. So, thanks for the reply and I’m waiting for the next eap build ;-)

8. Robert Huffman says:

I really hate this behavior. There are only a few types of files I create: all the Java file types, groovy occasionally, sometimes a script.

This new behavior means several more key strokes/mouse actions to create, say, a new enumeration. It would be awesome if you could make the old behavior optional, or, better yet, let users configure which types they want in the menu.