Drag & Drop Between IntelliJ IDEA and Explorer/Finder

One of the features that has been voted most in our JIRA is the possibility to drag & drop files between IntelliJ IDEA and native file managers — Explorer on Windows and Finder on Mac. In previous IntelliJ IDEA versions, some of this functionality was provided by plugins like Native Neighborhood. In Maia, this is finally supported natively, letting you:

• Drag a file from Explorer/Finder and drop it on editor to open it in a new tab
  • Drag a file from Explorer/Finder and drop it on a folder in Project view to copy or move it to that folder
  • Drag a file from the Project view and drop it on a folder in Explorer/Finder to copy or move it to that folder.

Hold the Ctrl key ( on Mac) while dragging to copy a file, or move it otherwise.

Feel free to leave comments and post JIRA issues to share your ideas on other possible use cases for this feature.

This entry was posted in New Features and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Drag & Drop Between IntelliJ IDEA and Explorer/Finder

1. Alexander Babaev says:

On a Mac “Copy” key is “Alt” or “Option”.
    And, one more thing. Can you do “Reveal in Finder/Explorer” option? To quickly select a file/directory in a file browser — it’s very useful during web development.

Thanks.

2. Dave Griffith says:

Great news, but doesn’t appear to be working in 10369. When should we expect this?

3. phil swenson says:

how about a “send to IDEA” context menu in Finder/Explorer?

4. Martin says:

What about Linux? I (as an Ubuntu user) would be very happy about being able to drag files into IDEA…

5. Bozhidar Batsov says:

I’m also a Linux user and I’m wondering as well – will we get the drag and drop support or is it only available in Windows/OSX builds? I guess it’s using some native stuff via JNI…

6. yole says:

This uses standard Java APIs rather than native stuff, so I would expect this to work on Linux as well, although I haven’t tested it myself.

7. Mike says:

I have just tried this with the August 21st build and it does NOT work on Ubuntu 9.4. If I drop a file into an opened editor, Idea drops the file path as text into the opened file. It does nothing if I drop it elsewhere (even in the main editor if no editor windows are open) I have found that dragging and dropping of files on Linux with java to be a little difficult. The source of the drag can be a file, list of files, list of file paths, or one string consisting of newline-separated paths. Sometimes the same native Linux app will provide the drag source in different forms depending on how exactly you initiated the drag (I assume a result of too many cooks in the kitchen). To get drag and drop support to work on Linux in my own apps, I’ve had to handle all of those cases.

8. Jerarckill says:

I am using IntelliJ v8.1.4 for now. Which version are you telling is implementing this copy/paste?

Also, why not simply making it a ctrl+c / ctrl+v (under Windows environment, do the same for others)? Not possible?

9. Jerarckill says:

Sorry, I did not realize that Maia was the codename for IntelliJ 9. I am actually quite new to IntelliJ (started today!)

Sorry again!

10. Ugo says:

I have tryed on Ubuntu 9.10 and i have problem with copy and paste

11. This is a pretty sweet addition to the toolbox, thanks guys!