5 Cool Shortcuts You Have Probably Never Tried

I’d like to tell you a bit about a bunch of cool IntelliJ IDEA shortcuts you have probably never heard of.

Ctrl+W/Ctrl+Shift+W When it comes to precisely selecting a value, expression, statement or any other block of code, these shortcuts are a real killer. Just try it to see how quicker it works than traditional Ctrl+Shift+NavKeys combo.

Ctrl+Shift+F12 This hides everything but the editor and so leaves you tête à tête with the code.

Ctrl+Tab, Delete Pressing Delete when Switcher is open (Ctrl+Tab) allows you to close arbitrary editor tabs and hide tool windows (available in Maia builds 10612 and later).

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Up/Down If you are using Version Control integration, you gonna love this because so you can quickly navigate between changes in a file.

Alt+Home Summons Navigation Bar to an active window, so you can now hide it from under main menu and quickly use whenever needed. By the way, all the cool shortcuts (Alt+Insert, for example) work nice inside of Navigation Bar, which lets you create new files, classes, and everything really really quickly.

Hope this all makes development even more a pleasure!

This entry was posted in Tips & Tricks. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to 5 Cool Shortcuts You Have Probably Never Tried

1. This is awesome! Some are really new for me. Thanks a bunch!

2. Matt says:

Are these Maia specific because most of these didn’t work for me (ctrl+tab, which was mentioned as being only Maia, but alt+insert inside the nav bar and ctrl+alt+shift+up/down didn’t seem to work for me either)?

3. jtsnake says:

The keyboard support is blasted pleasurable, I can’t stand it.

4. Konstantin Bulenkov says:

@Matt
    1. alt+insert inside the nav bar
    Make sure you don’t have any popup over nav bar. For instance, such a popup can take place when you expand some package/folder.

2. Make sure
    a) you have Version Control Integration enabled. So, your files under SVN, Perforce or whatever.
    b) you have some changes in the file you’re trying reproduce Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Up/Down.

5. Mike says:

I think the Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Up/Down problem may be related to linux/gnome desktop conflicts. Those are the default keystrokes to move applications between desktops.

6. Gordon J Milne says:

That ctrl+alt+shift+up/down is awesome. Just what I wanted.

7. I agree with Mike. Ctrl+Alt+F12 “is taken”.

8. Chris Miller says:

ctr+alt+shift+up/down is a favourite of mine, however it frustrates me that there isn’t a way to navigate the popup with the keyboard (or at least, I can’t find it!). I’d like to be able to use the left/right cursor keys to choose the rollback icon so I can rollback individual changes without having to use the mouse.