Maven-like Classpath in Maia

Starting next Maia EAP, classpath for Maven-based projects will be built following Maven rules.
Also, IntelliJ IDEA will natively support compile, test and run-time dependency scopes.

For more information see Maven Dependency Mechanism documentation.

This entry was posted in EAP Releases and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Maven-like Classpath in Maia

1. Joe says:

Very nice addition! This is a feature I’ve been waiting for for quite a while now…

2. Thibaut says:

Now THAT is some wonderful news !

THanks for the maven support, I especially regurlarly take advantage of the new “view maven settings” action

3. Samuel Le Berrigaud says:

That’s great.

Now could you guys get rid of the “Maven: ” prefix on all the dependencies as seen in the screen shot. This makes searching for dependencies tedious as I always have to type “Maven: ” before the real name of the dependency I am looking for…

Great work on the maven support though. I now just hope that IntelliJ 9 will be a bit more stable than 8.x (on Mac OS X).

4. retronym says:

Given module B with a compile depedency on module A:

Currently, module B in IntelliJ can access test code in module B. This is not visible in maven, unless you explicitly publish a ‘tests’ artifact from module A, and depend on it in the ‘test’ scope from module B. (http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-attached-tests.html)

Does this change limit the cross module visibility of test code? If so, it should detect if the extra ‘tests’ artifact is used, and make the test code visible again.

-jason

5. Jan Duplak says:

I would like to use

javaee
    javaee-api
    provided

while compiling project
    but:

org.jboss
    jbossall-client
    5.0.0
    runtime

while running client from idea project generated by maven (idea:idea)

6. Wim Deblauwe says:

Hi,

great to hear that. While you are busy, please add a ‘move to top’ button to set the order of the dependencies. For my project, I need to manually add a directory and it has to be in the first entry. With the many dependencies I have, it means clicking on ‘move up’ about a 100 times.

regards,

Wim

7. Bryan Young says:

Great to see this level of Maven support. Are there any plans to support a distinction between ‘source’ directories and ‘resource’ directories? Idea doesn’t see a problem with placing images, xml and other resources in the java source tree, but later when the same project is run from Maven, those resources cannot be found. It seems related.

8. Anton Makeev says:

@Bryan Young:
    I do plan to implement Maven-like treatment of resource directories; I’m not sure if I can make it in 9.0, though.

9. Anton Makeev says:

@Jan Duplak:
    Don’t get the idea; please mail me to Anton.Makeev@jetbrains.com and attach a sample project and fill description of what would you want IDEA to do.

10. Robert Nicholson says:

Correct me if I’m wrong but if the classpath isn’t build from maven rules because export is selected for every artifact then how is that “built form maven rules?

11. David Reed says:

Is there a way to limit the cross-module sharing of test code as mentioned in retronym’s comment? (http://blogs.jetbrains.com/idea/2009/08/maven-like-classpath-in-maia/#comment-115351)

The way my current project is set-up this causes issues as it means a file with different contents but the same name as one from the src/main/resources tree of a dependency is on the classpath. The results is different behaviour when running the tests in IntelliJ compared to running them from the command-line or eclipse.

12. Anton Makeev says:

David, the problem with test-jar should have been fixed in the eap, please check if it is true for you (http://confluence.jetbrains.net/display/IDEADEV/Maia+EAP).
    If your problem is different, please write me to anton(dot)makeevjetbrains[.]com and attach a sample project.
    Thanks