Invoking Run/Debug Actions in IntelliJ IDEA 9

In IntelliJ IDEA 9 (Maia), we’ve slightly changed the way you run and debug your applications. You’re still able to quickly run or debug a previous configuration (Shift+F10/F9), as well as to create and run/debug a temporary configuration in a context-dependent manner (Ctrl+Shift+F10/F9). However, it’s now much easier to select and run/debug different configurations from the keyboard.

In IntelliJ IDEA 9, you can choose a configuration that you wish to run with one of the following shortcuts:

• Alt+Shift+F9 to debug your application.
  • Alt+Shift+F10 to run it.

Invoking any of these actions displays a pop-up window with available configurations, like this:

You can edit a configuration before launch (press F4) or show a configuration dialog box to edit all your configurations and their default settings (press 0). You can also instantly delete a temporary configuration by pressing Delete.

That’s not the end of the story: you’re now able to temporary switch to an opposite action directly from this pop-up window by pressing and holding Shift. When you do that, Run becomes Debug and vice versa.

And even more: we’ve extended the pop-up window with context-dependent configurations. That means whenever you press Alt+Shift+F10 right in a test method’s body, the pop-up displays a temporary configuration to run the current method only or all tests from the current test class.

We’ve also added a number of quick access shortcuts:

• 1 for a previously selected configuration.
  • 2 and 3 for context-dependent configurations.
  • 0 to display the Edit Configuration dialog box.

One more tip: we’ve mapped this pop-up to F9 (debugger’s Resume Program action). The pop-up now displays on pressing F9 when you’re unable to actually resume anything – that is, when you’re not yet running any debug session.

This entry was posted in New Features. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Invoking Run/Debug Actions in IntelliJ IDEA 9

1. KB says:

Is there any chance that the Maia Ultimate gets an update soon? – 94 isnt usable as build is broken :( like community was, but never got a new release…

2. Alexey Pegov says:

EAP build 90.116 was released yesterday (both Ultimate & Community): http://www.jetbrains.net/confluence/display/IDEADEV/Maia+EAP

3. Orland Seaver says:

This is fine and good. But it isn’t as good as in 8.x where you could always have it bring up the options. Now I have to use the F9 Key (which on Mac is normally mapped to an expose function) then the F4 key to get to the same place I would be when clicking the debug icon. Two keystrokes to replace one click, not an improvement…

4. Alexey Pegov says:

Orland, why do you need to open settings each time you running or debugging somethig? (Btw, it is possible to change keyboard shortcuts, and, moreover you don’t need to press F9 which is binded to expose on Macs, you may use Alt+Shift+F9 alternatively).

5. Marco Peters says:

I agree with Orlando. I would like to have the option to display the run configuration when running my application.
    I don’t like to have dozens of different configurations listed.
    In 8.x it was very handy to change the options before running the application.
    If I did not want to change the run configuration it was just a double-click with enabled option ‘Automatically position mouse cursor’.

6. Mark says:

I agree with Orlando as well. This has been an annoying change. I’m running a command line application where I frequently need to change the parameters. The new behavior makes this harder to do.

Can an option be added to revert to the old behavior?

7. Steve says:

I agree with the earlier comments. The run/debug options in 9.0 are a step backward. I regularly change command line parameters and frequently change which configurations I want to run/debug. 8.x behavior suited my needs perfectly. I pay for Idea because I develop more quickly and with more pleasure than Eclipse. Don’t let the line between the two apps start to blur.

8. Mark says:

Opened JIRA issue to track request for a way to revert to old behavior: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/IDEA-52423. Vote on it if you’d like to see this changed.

9. Jims says:

I agree with Steve. I also change my command line parameters and 8.x behavior worked for me as well. We need to make sure that both of these applications do what they are supposed to do and do not cross over in function or need.