Grails: debugging GSP

Now IntelliJ IDEA X is able to debug GSPs. You can set breakpoints and view variable values or evaluate expressions.

This entry was posted in Tips & Tricks and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Grails: debugging GSP

1. Ted Wise says:

When you post feature items like this for upcoming releases it would help to put the EAP version its applicable to.

2. sergey.evdokimov says:

Good advice!
    This feature is available in last EAP of IDEA X (98.187)

3. Sven Lange says:

Wow! This is an ever desired feature of mine. Looking forward to see it in the next version. Nice nice…

4. Dierk Koenig says:

I tried with version 98.311 and the debugger did not stop in the GSP.

5. Sergey Evdokimov says:

Dierk Koenig,
    Now debugger stops at expressions like ‘${…}’ only. Did you set breakpoint to expression like ”?

6. Charlie says:

I’m using 10.0.0.1 and for me it’s not working.
    I’ve set the breakpoint at ‘${…}’, but the only thing what is happening:
    IDEA doesn’t stop – browser doesn’t stop running, it loads and loads and loads (FF) – IDEA consumes the whole CPU – only a restart of IDEA helped!!!

7. Michael Morett says:

Just confirmed the same as Charlie with IDEA 10.0.1 It won’t stop on the breakpoint, goes into an endless loop and requires a restart of IDEA to break out of that situation.

8. Michael Morett says:

I had to come back and report that after being contacted by Sergey at Jetbrains, I tried to reproduce the problem. He asked for the GSP that was causing problems and I went about trying to figure out which GSP it was so I could send it to him.

I tried about 50% of the pages in my app and not once could I reproduce the situation I mentioned above on Jan 29. It’s only been a few days and I didn’t change much, if any, code between Jan 29 and today. The only significant event between those two dates was that I rebooted my machine.

On Jan 29, I could not get this feature to work at all. Today, I cannot reproduce the problem and IDEA stops on any breakpoint I set, on any GSP.

If I can reproduce the problem, I’ll come back to report my results, but for now, I’ll chalk it up to some weird environmental thing.

Being able to stop on a breakpoint in a GSP is really nice for some problems. I’m looking forward to using this feature.

9. Sergey Evdokimov says:

If the problem appears again attach the stacktrace, please. (You can get it using command ‘jstack’)