IntelliJ IDEA 10 RC — Git log got hot

It is snowing outside our office but it is getting hotter and hotter inside. Guess why? That’s right, releases are getting nearer. RubyMine team did theirs yesterday. IntelliJ IDEA 10 is close enough too.

Indeed, we’ve just published IntelliJ IDEA 10 Release Candidate!

One major thing we pushed to this build is a significantly reworked Git log view (see screenshot below).
There’s also a number of other Git-related changes plus many stabilizing fixes throughout the IDE. See the complete list in this build release notes.

So, if you have some feedback for us, please speak now! We are listening as carefully as we push our changes now!

Stay tuned for more releases from JetBrains and for IntelliJ IDEA 10 announcement soon!

This entry was posted in News & Events and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 10 RC — Git log got hot

1. Joa Ebert says:

Very nice, but what about adding some of those features to Mercurial support as well?

2. Great! Did you make every link in the log clickable? And integration with git-svn would also be nice.

3. sam says:

rubymine for linux ships with fsnotifier (both 32bit and 64bit) (http://blogs.jetbrains.com/idea/tag/fsnotifier/)
    will idea x does this do too if it becomes a golden master?

4. Adam Parrish says:

Awesome work guys – looking forward to all the Flex fixes as well.

5. Dierk König says:

it would be cool to have the “incoming changes” view being populated with remote log information. That’s the view I use most by far.

6. Geoffrey De Smet says:

After SVN update, we get an update report, now that we are switching to git I presume it has a similar one. But there was one thing that always bugged me with it: it grouped the files into created, updated, deleted. I would much rather see there per module per directory with colors if they are created (green), updated (blue) or deleted (gray), so I can much more easily look past the modules/dirs I don’t care that much about.

7. yole says:

Joa,
    We do plan to add a similar repository history view to Mercurial integration, but unfortunately there’s zero chance for it to be implemented in time for IDEA 10.

Denis,
    The git log view supports issue hyperlinks (Settings | Version Control | Issue Navigation). I don’t think it supports arbitrary HTTP links. Please file a feature request for that functionality.

Dierk,
    This log view is effectively a replacement for “incoming changes”. We don’t plan to implement “incoming changes” view as it exists with P4/SVN for Git or Mercurial.

8. yole says:

Sam,
    fsnotifier is already included in the Linux distribution of IntelliJ IDEA as of the RC build.

9. Geoffrey,
    What you suggest looks like an interesting feature. If there is no such request in our issue tracker — you are welcome to create one. http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issues/IDEA

10. John says:

but…

when I click on a cell
    a) the whole line gets white and thus the text of the line is blank
    b) however, the specific cell has a visible border
    (this is with Nimbus L&F on Linux)

please, please, please vertically align the YY MM DD HH MM parts – human is a visual beast!
    also please please please do this for Git annotate in the editor
    and while you are already at it, allow preferred YY MM DD HH MM format customization somewhere
    so easy to do, so nice as optical clues…

further, I only see 3 commits in Git log, which are taken from the last 5 (at random), and the rest are missing… hrm… or I don’t understand this window functionality yet? :-)

youtrack is down, so this post will do for now :-)

11. peter royal says:

so glad to see IDEA 10 nearing release. please fix the menus under Ubuntu though, they look horrible!!

12. @yole, done http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/IDEA-62183

also, I have another feature request about git-svn-ids in the log http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/IDEA-62024

thank you.

13. alexhe says:

Very nice Android support! Most efficient Java IDE I’ve ever used in the past 10 years.

14. Behrang says:

That screenshot…
    …is so beautiful.

15. eco_bach says:

How do you disable anti-aliasing?
    Also, any tweaks you can do that would improve response and performance(ie code hinting etc) would make me a convert!

16. Daniel says:

How about parents of a commit? Or a tree view of the log? As it is, it is impossible to track merges to see what happened. Since a merge commit doesn’t contain the actual files changed, there is no way to track down what happened in a merge with this view. In practice, for me, this makes the log view basically useless for anything but extremely simplistic git workflows.

If I’m missing something, somebody please help me out. I’d love to get rid of the other git tools I have to keep around just to keep up with the history.

17. Roy Sindre says:

Feature request for Android-support:
    * Launch the tools/ddms from tool menu. (or get a file browser built in for browsing files at the android device(s)) (when launching, disable the built in ddms-service/logcat so you can use the tool…)
    * android standard maven project archetype? ;-)

18. Dennis Cairns says:

There are two IDE settings that seem to not work at all. I am using a MAC (Snow Leopard) and I have saved to a different layout Scheme name. I have reported this on youtrack for the last 6 releases. Please fix.

1. Editor – Colors & Fonts – HTML – Tag: I cannot turn off the background color or change the background color of the Tags. It always defaults to the gray.

2. Editor – General – Console Background: this does not accept any user changes.

19. Alexey Pegov says:

Dennis, just tested in IntelliJ IDEA 10RC2 and both cases works for me. Could you please check it again in RC2 and report these problems to http://youtrack.jetbrains.net ?

20. Dennis Cairns says:

I just tried it again in 98.486 and still cannot get those 2 features to work. I updated youtrack. When RC2 is released again I will try it.

21. Dennis Cairns says:

Ok I just tried again using version 98.520 (rc3) and those 2 features still do not work.

22. I think the log got too much junk space: the “Commits list” label and table header don’t carry any function but take up space, so I have to either make the pane bigger or detach the Changes window and maximize it. Also I preferred the way svn log has a “more” link that shows more info about the commit, this bottom pane is less usable.

23. Surya De says:

Excellent. I have always enjoyed the subversion feature set which includes “Show history for selection” and also the Repository view and the Incoming Changes view. Is there no possibility for something like that to be implemented in the IDE for git as well?

Cheers and keep up the great work!

24. Alexander says:

Nice GIT integration comparing to Eclipse git plugin! Some of my colleagues have missed many GIT features in Eclipse :)

Unfortunately I’ve missed one important for me feature. Is it possible to view changes like it is done in CVS (Right click on module folder then CVS->Browse Changes.)?
    There were several good features:
    - filter out changes by branch/user
    - possibility to select few changes and see affected files on the right side

Comparing to GIT Changes-Log
    - no possibility to filter out changes by module (in a project I’ve configured ~20 modules and all changes from these modules in one stream – Log.)