IntelliJ IDEA 10 Released. New Decade of Evolution Ahead

It is December, and you were probably waiting for this exciting announcement to appear. So, here it goes!

IntelliJ IDEA 10 is ready for you to download it and enjoy the great new features in both free and ultimate editions!

Here is a summary of the key new features and improvements in this release:

• Numerous enhancements to the UI and user experience, both in the editor and the IDE as a whole
  • 100% faster code indexing, and an overall performance increase
  • New code completion behavior with automatic invocation while typing
  • Android development support in Community Edition
  • Improvements for supported technologies & frameworks (Spring, GWT, Groovy/Grails, Flex/ActionScript)
  • Addition of Spring Roo, AspectJ and ColdFusion integration
  • Better support for DVCSs such as Git and Mercurial
  • Maven 3 support, new dependency diagram, POM refactorings
  • Integrated database table editor, and more.

We highly recommend you to check the what’s new in IntelliJ IDEA 10 page for more info and of course to download your edition of choice right away!

And last but not least, we thank all who followed the IntelliJ IDEA 10 Early Access Program and helped us with their invaluable feedback!

Develop with pleasure!
— IntelliJ IDEA Team

This entry was posted in News & Events and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

85 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 10 Released. New Decade of Evolution Ahead

1. Marcus says:

Congratulations, guys! It’s been a rough ride, but IDEA X is a really great release — I love how you’ve embraced DVCS and generally made development a lot easier and more pleasurable.

P.S.: any chance we’ll see discounted licenses for early buyers/upgraders? :D

2. Ivan says:

That is awesome!

3. Tomas says:

windows link is broken

Not Found
    The requested URL /idea/ideaIU-10.exe was not found on this server.

4. Gabe says:

Hi Folks,

the download link takes me to

404 not Found.

Has anyone a working download link?

5. YL says:

Too fast. Download links are broken.

6. yole says:

The problem with the downloads is caused by an issue with our hosting provider. We’re switching to a back-up downloads host as we speak, so the downloads should be up in a few minutes. Sorry for the trouble.

7. krangsquared says:

I hope the indexing is so fast now that I don’t have to buy an SSD drive anymore. Not *that* fast you say? One can always dream, I guess! But yes, I’ll probably upgrade because of the performance improvements. Is the hibernate integration now smart enough to understand annotated pojos (loaded via spring)? The previous one seemed to only work with xml config.

+1 for discounts on early upgraders, please.

8. tramsgar says:

Congrats everybody! You’ve worked very hard on this great release.

9. Samuel K says:

The question on the evaluation page:
    Are you an existing licensee?

needs a third option, like
    Are you an existing licensee?
    Yes,of another Jetbrains product
    which one: ________

10. Anatol Malishev says:

I would really love to see an official debian/ubuntu repository for Intellij X.

Currently I use this tool https://github.com/trygvis/intellij-idea-dpkg and it works great for me. But having an official repo for stable/eap versions is even better.

11. bender says:

Code indexing is 50% faster, not 100% =). 100 means instant.
    Typo in DVSCs? (DVCSs?)

12. PastorGL says:

13. Actually, I have already sent an e-mail about Debian packaging to JB, but probably it never got through to the devs. However, over time I became so overloaded that I just decided to drop this idea and not pursue it any further.

Anyways, one way to do it would be to become Canonical partner and get Idea and Idea-based IDEs into the partner repositories + software center. This way, binary builds will be available by default to the whole Ubuntu user community with little effort and additional features, such as automated updates, will make it even more attractive.

Finally, Community edition can actually make it into main. This, I think, would be a huge popularity boost among Linux users.

14. Peter says:

Really disappointed that nowhere on your buy licence section it is mentioned that given price is without VAT. The little comment that one may see (or rather often miss) in shopping cart (Excluding tax) is not helpful at all. Being told that there is 19% VAT somewhere at the end of whole process when I’m already dealing with your online reseller is bad practice in my point of view.

15. Denis.Zhdanov says:

Guys, there are linux users at IJ dev team and we really like idea of adding our product(s) to Canonical repos. I believe we’ll move at that direction as release is passed.

16. @Samuel K: Thanks for the suggestion. Makes a great sense. Will consider adding it.

17. Bruno says:

Congratulations, guys!
    Java User Group will now win licences for IDEA X ? or still for IDEA 9 ?

As for Linux, I always install all Java stuff in /opt/ myself, no double packaging/distribution.

18. Claudiu says:

A search (Ctrl+F) like this (s|.*)* freezes Idea X. Tested on Ubuntu. Not really a good search regex, but it could happen to make mistakes like that. It can be reproduced with Ctrl+R too.

19. Claudiu says:

Even this (s|.)* freezes it. Geany works with this very well.

20. Claudiu says:

Don’t mind the previous one. It was this (s|.)* that froze it. Geany worked with this very well.

21. @Claudiu: please use our issue tracker to submit bugs: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net

22. Claudiu says:

hmm. The expression I entered didn’t get in entirely. Enclose that expression between 2 tags: a html tag to, and the corresponding closing tag.

23. Claudiu says:

I will, if I’ll have the time. Right now I’m hard pressed. Sorry.

24. yole says:

Bruno,
    Of course, all licenses we’re giving away are licenses for latest versions of our products.

25. Romke says:

Great job, tremendously enjoying the speed and the new features, you definitely made my day … and many more to come!

26. Mazelthov!

I was fed up with Eclipse!

Are there no bundled dark themes with the community edition? I may have been dreaming but I thought there was some included with the EAP. Am I missing something?

27. yole says:

No, we never had any dark color themes included in an IntelliJ IDEA distribution. We will have them soon, though.

28. Eric Bednarz says:

Please post a notification if you decide to fix the scrollbars, or at least adjust your pricing plans to match the new cheap look. TIA

29. There is one editor color scheme that I have noticed called WarmNeon, but after you get used to Twilight it looks a bit scary. Now that GTK+ integration finally looks good what I would like to see is actually Twilight + ability to invert fields with white background and set gutter color (i.e. project explorer, test results etc.)

30. John says:

There seem to a annoying issue on Mac whereby the context menu of Intellij still appear when its top main menu is clicked. If the main menu is clicked, by default the context menu should hide but it seems that Intellij 10 didn’t hide the context menu.

Still , Intellij 10 is really great aside from minor issue.

thx for the great release

31. yole says:

Eric,
    Based on the feedback we’ve received, which has mostly been positive, we don’t currently plan to change the look of the scrollbars.

Yury,
    The WarmNeon scheme is currently bundled only with PyCharm. We plan to bundle other color schemes converted from TextMate, including Twilight.

John,
    Please submit an issue to http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/

32. Arkus Zetov says:

@Denis.Zhdanov

Canonical partnership sounds like a great idea – and I am sure this will be benefit both for IJ and Linux users.

Could you please file a bug to tracker so everyone can track its status?

Looking forward for it – Intellij IDEA in Ubuntu repo sounds awesome!!

33. Eric Bednarz says:

That is very bitter, because it means that I wasted money and a lot of time on a dead horse.

I don’t even use scrollbars, but the new ones
    * obscure part of the gui
    * look like an iOS ripoff gone wrong

When I saw them in the EAP, I didn’t give it a second thought because I really assumed that some interface library was in the process of being rewritten or replaced.

According to the license terms I can’t even sell my version 9 license to somebody who doesn’t find bad user interface objectable (I know enough programmers who don’t).

Bah.

34. Stephen says:

So far everything seems ok with IntelliJ 10. However it takes 500% longer to stop a tomcat process that is being debugged. In IntelliJ 9, you guys did a good job where stopping and disconnecting a Tomcat process would be instantaneous and there were no more port hangs.

In IntelliJ 10, to stop a Tomcat process now takes more than a few seconds; on larger projects from 5 to 10 seconds!

I think this is a usability problem for everyone — I use JRebel so don’t have to restart that often, but when I do need a restart the instant kill you had in IntellIJ 9 is far superior to what it is now.

35. Stephen says:

+1 for Eric’s issue.

The scrollbars are not a showstopper for me, but I know a lot of corporate IntelliJ user’s who switch to Metal L&F for performance reasons including myself. Corporate PC’s can often be slower than what we have at home(can’t choose your harddrive, can’t run 64 bit etc).

Anyways, after just trying IntelliJ 10, I would expect Metal L&F to revert scrollbars but they do not. IntelliJ 9 reverts scrollbars to appropriate L&F which is correct programming / swing behavior.

Tomcat kill problem is a much bigger usability issue in IMHO and a worrying regression from version 9 to 10

36. John says:

I really like the ios-like scrollbar however, contrary to some commentators here. Will need getting used to but it really work great.

37. Denis.Zhdanov says:

@Arkus Zetov

Hey, here is the ticket about (K)Ubuntu repositories integration – http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/IDEA-63004

38. chris says:

looks great on win7.x64 great work :)

I would also like to bump the support for darker color themes and even Actionscript color settings to be included in the GUI. ( Under Settings-Editor-Colors & Fonts Actionscript is missing :( )

39. drew says:

Wow, the best release ever. Please don’t change the scrollbars, the new scrollbars are awesome as they stay out of the way and won’t distract from code! This release kicks the pants off SlickEdit or any other code-centric IDE by far.

40. Steven Shaw says:

Might it be time to consider removing the “IntelliJ” from the name? IDEA is now very much so a multi-language IDE.

41. eric says:

I think the new scrollbars look pretty ghetto… at first glance, you don’t even notice what they are. That being said, if looks were the only problem, I could live with them.

42. Nick says:

43. yole says:

eric,
    If you’re using a laptop on the go, it’s much easier to press Ctrl-Up/Down on the keyboard than to aim into a small scrollbar arrow using the laptop touchpad.

44. fotos says:

Just cons and almost no benefits at all:
    1. Visually indistinguishable from borders
    2. No up / down arrows
    3. Unexpected visual styling

Pros (?):
    1. Smaller (arguably a con also since the are harder to hit as a target)
    2. Non disruptive

You can’t call a theme “OSX” and have altered scroll bars that break the norm. At least name it something else and give us the original “OSX” theme.

45. User says:

The Back button (Ctrl+Alt+Left) doesn’t take me back to the previous place anymore.

46. ToneDeF says:

47. eric says:

Regarding @yole’s last comment about using ctrl+up/down, you’re correct that I could do that. Or I could switch to a different editor that doesn’t force me to change the way I like to work for no reason. Guess which option is $600 cheaper?

48. John says:

49. Kerry says:

50. Kerry says:

I made a very civil, reasonably worded, non-flaming statement here that I like the idea of making standard scrollbars an option in addition to the new scrollbars. I mentioned that after a few weeks of use I still hadn’t gotten used to the new scrollbars.

Why did a comment like that get “moderated” away?

51. @Kerry: this was probably just a mistake. Sorry for that and thanks for noticing and for your opinion.

52. Jennifer says:

I’m switching to IDEA 10 and it’s the best Java IDE I’ve found so far; good work!

Can anyone tell me if the i-beam mouse cursor is configurable when you’re using a dark colour theme? I found this issue from way back in 2002
    and it still seems to be an problem.

As the end of that thread states, it’s not the text caret that is the problem, it’s the mouse cursor when in ibeam mode over the editor.
    Have I missed a configuration option somewhere?

53. At first, I didn’t mind the new scrollbars. Yes, in general, I like change. But after a few months, I find the new scrollbar gets in the way. It saves a few pixels of horizontal space, but as wide screens become more and more common, we don’t really lack horizontal space. While before, I always had a feel of where I was in the file, I now need to make a very conscious effort to locate the scrollbar amongst all the other markers already displayed at the right of the source.

54. Jeff Shanholtz says:

55. yole says:

See the following FAQ for more information on the new scrollbars:

56. Jerry Destremps says:

The new scrollbars are HORRIBLE!!! You MUST fix this. We need ARROWS AND CLEAN scroll bars. What on earth were you thinking about?!? This sucks!!!

57. Jerry Destremps says:

Your FAQ is obnoxious. Removing arrows from the top and bottom of a scroll bar is like removing the steering wheel from a car and telling people to just press this or that (in other words, re-learn what we already learned since 1984 on our first Macintoshes). I use IntelliJ on windows, and the new scroll bar is NO GOOD (a scroll bar without arrows?!?!?!) with a laptop with a mousepad. There is no mousewheel, and your response that no, we’re not going to change it is bad. I’m going to start a facebook page to boycott your product until you change it back to the way it was.

58. yole says:

Jerry,
    If you could present some logical arguments, you might have some chance of convicing us to make some changes. A Facebook petition is guaranteed to have zero effect.

Also note that most Windows laptops support scrolling with a touchpad. Just drag your finger along its right edge. Sometimes this possibility needs to be enabled in the touchpad driver settings.

59. Jerry Destremps says:

Everyone else already presented the arguments. You are trying to FORCE culture change and usability change, and you are trying to FORCE how people use the most basic user interface feature on a windowed GUI. The scrollbar is fundamental and simple. You have not only made it overly complex and polluted with way too much information, but you have removed basic expected functionality that everybody relies on in EVERY app in EVERY operating system that uses scrollable screens. For you to remove the arrows FORCES everyone to change the way they work. Well, fortunately we have other choices. If you want to create a little religion out of your scroll bar, and post your creed as an FAQ, that’s fine. But I don’t have to upgrade or spend any more money on your product. Reducing the width of the elevator is also really odd. Who on earth knows what that’s supposed to mean, or how it’s supposed to behave. The answer is really simple: give us a normal scroll bar and then another bar that has all that other colored information on it. And if you really want to get people’s approval, give us an option to have a normal scrollbar, or your new one, and another option would be to allow us to put the colored information bar on the left or right, although that’s probably not necessary. But for you to change the fundamental way that a trusted interface element works (on YOUR app only), is a sure way to frustrate people, as you can see from many other people’s responses. There is WAY too much functionality crammed into that little thing, but if you’re going to keep all that junk in one place, the least you could do would be to give us our arrows back. A LOT of people use those exclusively to move up and down one or more lines at a time. It’s not up to you to decide that now I must learn new behavior in order to use a scrollbar, which we’ve all been using since 1984 when the first Mac came out.

60. Jerry Destremps says:

And you want logical arguments? What other reasons do you need other than what the people who feed you are saying? Logic has nothing to do with it. Marketing is not about logic, it’s about giving people what they want. Is that logical? I think so. Here’s what others said and why you would do well to change the scroll bar (and we would appreciate it sooooo much!):

“Please put back native scrollbars in code editor panes. With this iPhone-like insane scrollbars IDEA 10 is totally unusable for me now, sticking with 9.0.3.”

“I don’t even use scrollbars, but the new ones
    * obscure part of the gui
    * look like an iOS ripoff gone wrong”

“The huge issue with the new scrollbars is the complete omission of the up/down arrows. If I’m editing a large file, it’s now impossible to use the scrollbar to scroll just a few lines. This doesn’t matter if I’m using a mouse that has a scroll wheel, but if I’m using my laptop on the go, all I’ve got is a touchpad.”

“I’m going to have to weigh in on the scrollbars… An inconsistency in user interface between applications for such a fundamental task as scrolling creates a constant dissonance and adds impedence between thought and execution. Scrolling is not something I needed innovated–I just need it to work. I’m sure some people will like the new behavior, just as some obviously do not. When I select Windows look and feel, however, that’s what I want. Please give me the option.”

“I definitely second the notion that the scroll bars should behave _and_ appear as the native os mandates. For us Mac OSX users you just make it harder to use windows / panes that have scroll bars.

Just cons and almost no benefits at all:
    1. Visually indistinguishable from borders
    2. No up / down arrows
    3. Unexpected visual styling”

“The new light-weight scrollbars are not doing it for me — too small to grab, and too small to see clearly. You can keep the new scrollbars, but please add a new UI option to revert back to the version 9 scrollbars for the folks like me who like them the way they were before. Thank you!”

“Has there been any more thought about reverting or at least fixing the scrollbars? These new ones irritate me on a daily basis, and after a month of use, I’m still not liking them any better.

Ultimately, I just don’t understand the decision to remove the buttons. Leaving them in doesn’t hurt anyone, nor does it have any negative impact on usability to those who ignore them. Taking them out, on the other hand, is bound to anger some of your users, even if it’s just a few. Why was development time wasted reinventing something that absolutely didn’t need to be reinvented? And furthermore, why was that wasted effort spent producing something that’s less functional than the thing it replaced? Most places I’ve worked would have never even let this idea get off the ground.”

“I’ve also been hating on the new scrollbars for the duration of my 30-day v10 trial. For what it’s worth, I’m not planning on asking my manager for an upgrade if I can’t disable them.”

“I’d like to add my voice to those calling for the new scrollbars to be an option that can be switched off. After a few weeks using them I’m still not comfortable with them. I keep finding myself doing things like accidentally dragging the “Ant Build” button or other buttons to the right of the scrollbar.”

“At first, I didn’t mind the new scrollbars. Yes, in general, I like change. But after a few months, I find the new scrollbar gets in the way. It saves a few pixels of horizontal space, but as wide screens become more and more common, we don’t really lack horizontal space. While before, I always had a feel of where I was in the file, I now need to make a very conscious effort to locate the scrollbar amongst all the other markers already displayed at the right of the source.”

“Ugh. Hate the new scroll bars. Just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why choosing Windows look and feel wasn’t giving the native scroll bar look. Why would you guys make a change that you HAD to know would make countless users upset?”

61. Jerry Destremps says:

With the new scrollbar, if you have it full of red (errors), it’s almost impossible to find the elevator/thumb. I shouldn’t have to hunt for the elevator/thumb.

62. Jeff Shanholtz says:

Half of the team I’m on doesn’t use Idea. I guess I’ll be joining that other half sometime soon if you guys continue to stubbornly refuse to give native scroll bars back.

I could understand your position if there was 1 or 2 people complaining, but with this volume of complaints, think about how many hate it but haven’t gone to the trouble to speak up? Apparently not enough to matter to you guys. I guess we’re not part of your targeted demographic.

63. yole says:

I’ll admit that we did not optimize the scrollbar (nor any of the other features of IntelliJ IDEA) for the case when your file is full of red. If it is, IntelliJ IDEA is most likely pretty much unusable in this situation anyway; you should configure it so that it highlights only relevant errors.

The rest is not logical arguments, so I won’t bother replying, sorry.

64. eric says:

“The rest is not logical arguments, so I won’t bother replying, sorry.”

In this case, logical doesn’t matter. We can agree to disagree on the logical value of the reasons why several people hate the new scrollbars. A lot of people don’t like something about your product, and they don’t care if their feelings are logical or not.

The only place you need to think about logic is in forcing the users of your $600 product to adopt a feature that they don’t like or want.

65. Jerry Destremps says:

Here’s the thing Yole. You are pretending like this is your little pet project that you can do whatever you want with. However, over the years, many people have become dependent on using Idea because they like the productivity gains that it allows. However in this one instance, you are stubbornly refusing to consider changing something that many people have complained makes them LESS productive. And this is not some little toy product we use to entertain our kids with and make little paper mache hats with. This is a product we use every day, under tight deadlines, to earn our livelihoods, to pay our rent or mortgages, to feed ourselves and send our kids to school with. So the less productive we are, the less money we can make and the less we can impress our clients and employers. So what you are doing now is interfering with our livelihood and our productivity. You tried our your scroll bar experiment, and maybe some people like it, but a lot of people have said they don’t. The least you could do is offer a real scroll bar to people who want one, instead of stubbornly insisting that we are just being “illogical”. You’re not dealing with idiots here, but your attitude makes you sound patronizing and superior to your customers, as we’re too stupid to know better. My opinion of Jetbrains and your company has definitely dropped many points since this conversation began, and everyone who reads this is going to think twice about buying a product from a stubborn software publisher who will not listen to the needs of their customers.

66. Josh says:

please add up/down buttons to the scrollbars

67. Jerry Destremps says:

Can you name one other application on the face of the earth that allows you to grab a scroll bar thumb by not actually grabbing it? It’s unintuitive, and non-standard. You split the elevator in half, and expect us to intuitively know that we can grab it with the mouse, even in the part where the thumb is not showing? This scroll bar is an experiment gone south.

68. Jeremy says:

I’ve purchased and have been using version 10 for a few months now and I am still constantly running into problems using the new scrollbars. So much so that I figured there must be a way to turn them off and use “old” style scrollbars. When I found this thread and JetBrains complete disregard for user feedback as “not logical” I was shocked. It seems you are more interested in forcing a usage style on your users rather than taking a step back and realizing that something you implemented doesn’t really work as well as you may have thought. Everyone has pointed out the difficulties with the scrollbars already so I won’t repeat them.

You seem to point to the users as the problem with your new feature, but with so many people expressing difficulties with a “feature”, maybe you should put some work into offering an option to turn it off instead of all the work you are putting into creating FAQs and trying to talk everyone into how awesome it is.

Please provide an option to use “old” style scrollbars. I won’t make it my mission to get you to give your users the option, I will just go somewhere else.

69. John says:

Yole,

I actually quite like the new scrollbars, but I find your attitude in this matter and JetBrains’s apparent disregard for its customers to be a disturbing development. I have recommended IntelliJ to dozens of friends and colleagues, and I am personally responsible for my employer’s decision to purchase upwards of 100 IntelliJ licenses. I have always been very satisfied with JetBrains products and have been a firm believer in the company’s vision for nearly a decade.

Your conduct regarding this scrollbar issue is the first negative experience I have ever had interacting with JetBrains or its products. The way you have treated my fellow customers is frankly appalling. It may not mean much to your business, and judging by the stock you put in other’s opinions it will certainly mean little to you, but I am so turned off by what I have read in this thread, that I am seriously questioning whether I want to be associated with you or continue to do business with a company who would choose to have you as a representative.

It would be great if you did something to address your users’ concerns. Barring that, it would be considerate if you declined to do so by explaining why your users’ needs were not a high priority. But if even that is too much to ask, the very least you could do is apologize for being a prick.

70. Jerry Destremps says:

JetBrains’ official response to me by email regarding the scroll bar was that if I wanted to, I could get a full refund by contacting their sales department. Baffling and disappointing. I, like John, have recommended IntelliJ many times to many people. But I’m probably going to stop doing that for obvious reasons. I continue to use it every day. But I still hate the scroll bar.

How you decided that combining a multicolored status indicator with something as fundamental and commonly used as a scroll bar is beyond me. Not only that, but you REMOVED the scroll arrows, making single line code review on a laptop impossible unless you TRAIN yourself to do the new “JetBrains Way” (using control-down arrow).

I am not your lab rat. Don’t force me to retrain myself to use your new failed experiments when a the rest of the entire planet is using STANDARD scroll bars for the same task.

71. Russ Jackson says:

Just downloaded the community version of IDEA 10 to see if I wanted to buy the upgrade and am immediately disappointed with the new scroll bars in the editor panes. Very frustrating to say the least – really missing the up and down arrows to scroll thru code line by line without changing the line focus.

72. Phil Shapiro says:

I’m a long time Java programmer (I worked on the Cafe team at Symantec eons ago) and am just getting back into it after a while away. I was looking forward to trying out IntelliJ again since it’s been so long, and I’ve been very impressed overall with the feature set, performance, etc. But the first thing I noticed was the non-standard scrollbars.. and I asked my coworkers how to change it, and heard that there wasn’t a way to do this.

I figured that’s ridiculous, of course there’s a way to get the real platform look in a modern Java app. Imagine my surprise to find out that not only is there no way to do this, but this is the implementor’s intended behavior and there’s no way to convince the implementor to change it back.

I don’t buy the argument that it’s hard to change the code.. are you saying you render the scrollbar directly instead of using a collection of graphic assets, as is typically used to implement a platform UI?

For what it’s worth, here’s another vote to have an option to put back platform appropriate scroll bar graphics.

73. Mackebrecht says:

where is coldfusion in 10.5.2 ?

74. ksafonov says:

@Mackebrecht please check you have CFML support plugin enabled: File | Settings | Plugins, search for ‘CFML Support’

75. Randy says:

OK, I’ve tried getting used to the new scrollbars. I still don’t like them. If they just still included the arrows they wouldn’t be so bad. Would you consider that?

76. Jerry Destremps says:

I am now using AppCode to develop iPhone/iPad apps, and once again you’ve got those new scrollbars that are annoying as hell. I have one huge file that I need to be able to finely control scrolling on. Using my laptop, that’s almost impossible without 1) scroll arrows at top and bottom and 2) a scroll thumb/elevator that is not so narrow. I have to spend extra time putting my mouse PERFECTLY into that tiny little narrow width so I can click and drag the thumb. However, like I said, on a big file, this does not give me fine enough control and makes standard scrolling very difficult. Can’t understand why JetBrains is so stubborn about this. Most people want at least the option of having standard scrollbars back.

77. Roger says:

So to paraphrase your position on the scrollbars. “We decided to change it because we felt like it, we know that tons of users and platform style guides say that’s very bad. We don’t care, you obviously don’t understand what’s good for you, we know better.”

If I had a dollar for every stupid UI element ever dreamed up by arrogant programmers and foisted on users like it was a gift from the gods, I would be a very rich man.

Bottom line, you guys suck. Have a nice time continuing to maim what was once the best Java development environment.

Done with you bozos.

78. Clark says:

Hi, There,
    I’m a newbie – just got 12 on the advice of several coworkers. I’m learning my way around. I, too, was confounded by the scroll situation, and, having read through this thread, even more confounded by your attitude. But, it’s your house and your ball, so do what you will. Just wanted to point out that I can’t make the scroll wheel work for horizontal scrolling. Do I just need better training?

79. yole says:

Clark,
    In general, Java doesn’t support multiple scroll wheels (or a scroll wheel that can be tilted). Depending on the mouse you’re using and the drivers, wheel tilting can be recognized as presses of additional mouse buttons, in which case you can assign them to “Scroll Left” and “Scroll Right” actions. See http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-86461 for more information.

80. Brian says:

There have been many reasonable explanations posted here for why you should provide an option to have native scrollbars. Another very acceptable solution would be to keep the custom scrollbars, but just make them function a bit more like the standard ones – an then everyone would be happy.
    Unfortunately, this company has taken the stance that they don’t care what their customers think. A good rule of thumb is that for every internet posting such as this, there are 50-100 people who feel the same way, but don’t bother to search through message boards, and especially don’t bother writing their own post.
    If you don’t care that several thousand of your (potential) customers don’t like your new scrollbars, that’s your prerogative. I for one will not be buying IntelliJ because of this, and I know that a number of my co-workers won’t be buying it either.

81. Mike Ormsby says:

I’ve been using IJ Idea for Flex development about a month now and like it very much.

My one criticism is this: I use it on a Mac, which unfortunately has the deal where windows can resized or even moved by grabbing a tiny portion of the window border. Combined with the narrow editor window scrollbar you have a situation where it is difficult to grab that scrollbar. Frequently I wind up dragging the window when I’m trying to move the scrollbar. Suggestion: just make the scrollbar a few pixels wider. Or make the scrollbar width configurable.

82. Rani says:

I am new to IntelliJ. Is there a way to make the scrollbar broader?
    Please.
    I keep clicking on the stuff to the right and left of it, because it’s so narrow. It requires superior hand-eye coordination, if i had that much hand-eye coordination, i would have been a tennis pro.

83. Kirk Olson says:

Please bring back the old-school scrollbars. It might have seemed a good idea at the time but it turned out to be disastrous for most users. At the very least give users a choice, drop the “we like it and so should you” attitude (that goes for more than just the scrollbars btw)

84. Fred Haslam says:

I have to frequently scroll through both and and outputs with thousands of lines. And when I need to fine control of moving through one line at a time I *need* the arrow thumbs. Right now my process is to copy and paste into a more useful editing tool.

Usually intellij puts in switches to reverse these unilateral changes. Any hint that they plan to do that? I would hate to go back to using multiple IDEs because of this.