IntelliJ IDEA 10.0.2, a massive bug-fix update

IntelliJ IDEA 10.0.2 update is ready for you to download.

The update introduces almost 900 fixes from our issue tracker, related to every part of IntelliJ IDEA platform and every supported framework, language or technology, especially Flex, Android and Groovy/Grails.

The HTML/JS/PHP support team has also done an impressive amount of work, which, by the way, predicts the near release of PhpStorm 2.0 and WebStorm 2.0, IntelliJ IDEA’s younger sister IDEs.

The update is highly recommended for users of both Community and Ultimate editions.

Check the release notes for the complete list of changes and download IntelliJ IDEA 10.0.2 or install the patch from the IDE.

Develop with pleasure!
IntelliJ IDEA Team

This entry was posted in News & Events and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 10.0.2, a massive bug-fix update

1. Craig Atkinson says:

IDEA 10.0.2 has major Grails regressions (auto imports when pasting code don’t work, method overrides aren’t detected, illegal variable references not detected, etc.)

How do I revert to version 10.0.1?

2. Tareq says:

Hi,
    I’ve been an anticipating this release for a while because of the fixes related to @ApplicationContext. Unfortunately, installing the patch from the IDE has totally screwed up code highlighting. Now, only Java keywords are highlighted whereas everything else is not (fields, annotations, constants, ….). Most annoying, errors are no longer underlined.
    Hope there is a quick way to fix this.

3. Peter Gromov says:

Craig,
    Could you please provide concrete examples of broken behaviour? Better as separate YouTrack issues.

4. Tareq says:

The issue is already reported here http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/IDEA-65021
    And the fix in my case was to update the Scala plugin.

5. Amjad says:

I had better luck uninstalling IntelliJ and then reinstalling rather than updating through the IDE

6. inca says:

What has happened with “Project Settings” -> “File Encodings” -> “Default encoding for properties files”? The list is totally disabled. This stuff has annoyed me for a long time (I had to switch this to ISO-8859-1 every time I start new project), but now it just isn’t working at all.

How do I revert?

7. Jamie Echlin says:

10.0.2 seems really broken. Eg, you have a java module. You create a groovy module and add a dependency on the java module. In a groovy script you try to import a class in the java module – the dependency can’t be resolved.

My real beef though is that it seems impossible to back out a patch. I couldn;t find how to anyway. I had to download 10.0.1 from cnet.

cheers, jamie

8. Jamie Echlin says:

This is rather odd. It worked fine on the reinstalled 10.0.1. Reading other comments I started 10.0.2 again in order to upgrade some plugins. I never did that because strangely it started working. I suspect something is amiss with the indexing.

9. Igor TN says:

My code inspection stopped working. I have to compile now to find my errors.

HOW TO REVERT BACK TO 10.0.1? PLEASE!

10. Jonas says:

Hi,
    i’m using Idea on Mac OSX and unfortunately i can’t recommend the 10.0.2 update – me and my colleagues here on the Mac are experience a broad range of problems after the update – i even did a clean install of 10.0.2, without any improvements.

The IDE is either missing a broad of packages that is used by your Java class, but it was everything there and okay with 10.0.1 or the IDE is showing everything as okay, but once you hit the “Make” button, it shows that there are things missing due to missing imports.

11. Igor TN says:

OK, after I wiped out the directories that contained my IntelliJ preferences and configuration and reinstalled IJ from scratch, I am fine. I am just surprised I had to do that.

12. Andrew Gustafson says:

Agreed, the code highlighting doesn’t work any longer. Can we work around the issue by doing a fresh install of 10.0.2?

13. Jeff Thomas says:

The “Download Patch and Restart” option simply isn’t working for me. It downloads the patch and restarts sure enough, but it restarts as 10.0.1 every time. I’ve tried it 3 times.

14. Kurt Schmidt says:

Hi,

when will you ship an update for the buggy 9.0.4 for those customers who actually paid a lot of money for the 9 release?

Thanks,
    Kurt

15. Alex says:

Hi,

Just for your information the patches are never installed correctly or you guys do not update the version no in the About menu option.
    Every single time, is an update I simply uninstall the previous version and install the new one.
    This may help for others experiencing issues with the IDE.

Also I would like to thank to Jetbrains for giving us the opportunity to use your Community IDE. I like the best the Android development feature.
    Is way better than Eclipse, but I saw there are issues with displaying correctly the Javadoc for Android related packages.

All the best,
    Alex

16. Lunovus says:

How does one update from 10.0 to 10.0.2?

I haven’t updated from 10.0 to 10.0.1.
    Now the “Check for Update…” dialog only offers “More Info…” and “Cancel” but no button to download and apply a patch.

When I download and start the full 10.0.2 community release it refuses to install into my 10.0 folder because it only wants to install into an empty folder or one with a 9.x community release installed.

So, how does one update from 10.0 to 10.0.2?

17. yole says:

If you experience problems with error highlighting after upgrading to IntelliJ IDEA 10.0.2, please be sure to upgrade your Scala plugin to version 0.4.472 or later.

18. yole says:

Kurt,
    As previously stated, we do not currently plan to release any new updates for IntelliJ IDEA 9. I don’t see any YouTrack issues reported by you, so I’m not sure which problems you’re referring to when you speak of “the buggy 9.0.4″.

19. yole says:

Lunovus,
    Please install IntelliJ IDEA 10.0.2 in a separate folder.

20. Fredrik says:

900? You left over 900 issues in a major release? Seriously, doesn’t that figure burn a hole somewhere? Although I love your products, and admire your speed (most of the time) at fixing bugs, you MUST take a serious grip on product quality. How did your QA dept let this through? What quality standards do you measure your RCs by? Even if the majority of this vast number of issues were user reported that’s no excuse – most of the bugs I’ve seen are easily spotted by performing rudimentary function tests. Most of your users are probably whipped by far more rigorous quality requirements, and you expect them to use tools with more bugs than their own products they produce with it.
    I say this not because I’m mad at you (altough seriously annoyed =) but because, as I said, I really like your products and want you to stay, and grow, in the market.

21. Damian Nowak says:

@Fredrik, the best way to release perfect software without bugs is not to release it at all. Good job JetBrains team!

22. Jamie Echlin says:

FWIW I didn’t have the same problems I reported earlier on another machine.

> Just for your information the patches are never installed correctly or you guys do not update the version no in the About menu option

On Windows this seems to happen when you don’t start IDEA as an administrator. Maybe it could check for that>

23. Daniel says:

I too am having updating to 10.0.2 using the About -> Check for updates toolbar

It just downloads something, and then restarts in 10.0.1…

24. Fredrik says:

@Damian Did you even read my comment? You just hope your customers didn’t read yours…

25. Jonas says:

Could you guys tell me where IDEA stores files for a Mac OSX installation – i want to remove each and every file so that i have the chance to do a fresh install. I have identified so far:

* /Applications/IntelliJ IDEA 10.app
    * ~/Library/Preferences/IntelliJIdea10
    * ~/Library/Caches/IntelliJIdea10
    * ~/Library/Application Support/IntelliJIdea10

Any directory missing?

26. Jonas,
    Here is the document describing what you seek: http://devnet.jetbrains.net/docs/DOC-181

You only missed Logs folder.

27. Cornelito says:

I was able to resolve the syntax/error/code analysis problem by going to my plugins settings and upgrading all my plugins, which included Scala and Python.

After restarting the IDE and letting it rebuild its indexes it worked again for me.

28. Oscar Lantz says:

Reply to Inca: The properties file encoding bug has annoyed me too. But I found a solution. In the .idea folder in my project directory there is a file called encodings.xml I just added this attribute, defaultCharsetForPropertiesFiles=”ISO-8859-1″, to the component element.

So my encodings.xml file now looks like this:

29. james says:

Android support is severely broken on 10.0.2.

30. james says:

BTW I’m on OS X where I’m experiencing the broken Android functionality. Luckily I was able to locate a version of 10.0.1 (which wasn’t easy). First 10.0.2 was complaining about some open projects I had with errors, so I got rid of all of them. Then when I finally reached 0 errors, I couldn’t even install the app on my phone. It kept telling me it couldn’t upload the file because the device was unavailable. When I tried to restart Android ADB, it told me “error: closed”. I love this IDE to pieces, but this release is not good. You guys should also make it easier to get old versions (not just 9x and 8x, etc.) in case this kind of stuff happens.

31. Eugene Kudelevsky says:

@james, currently, many users use Android support in 10.0.2, and we’ve never heard about the broken functionality. If you have any problem, please submit it to our bugtracker http://youtrack.jetbrains.net

32. James says:

Well whatever it was, the 10.0.3 update fixed my Android problems. Thank you!

33. Mickaël says:

With 10.0.3, I am still having the problem reported by Inca, about properties files encoding which is disabled: http://blogs.jetbrains.com/idea/2011/02/intellij-idea-1002-a-massive-bug-fix-update/#comment-167266

34. Warren says:

For those of you struggling with upgrading and remain in the previous version after restart. try running idea.exe with raised privileges (run as administrator).