IntelliJ IDEA 10.5 released: new technologies, new features, new pricing

It is done! IntelliJ IDEA 10.5 is available for download from jetbrains.com web site.

If you’ve been following this blog you more or less know what’s been keeping us busy and what you get in IntelliJ IDEA 10.5.

What you did not know before is that IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate gets a price drop for new licenses and for personal license upgrades. (you do know, our upgrade policy allows upgrades from 2-3-year old versions too, right?). See the details at our Buy & Upgrade page.

The key features of IntelliJ IDEA 10.5 update include:

• Full Java 7 Support
  • Reworked UI for refactorings and Search/Replace, simplified code completion
  • JavaScript Debugger in Google Chrome
  • Groovy 1.8 and Spring 3.1 support
  • JavaScript, Android and Flex enhancements
  • Jetty integration
  • XSLT2 support, etc.

Check the ‘What’s new in IntelliJ IDEA’ page to learn some more and to download your edition of choice.

And of course v.10.5 is a free update for everyone with version 10 license and for everyone using the free Community edition! :)

Develop with pleasure!
The JetBrains Team

This entry was posted in Releases and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 10.5 released: new technologies, new features, new pricing

1. Patrick says:

Any word on ruby plugin support for this release ?

2. Oh, those upgrades from 2-3 year old releases is ultrasupercool idea — I would like to jump in 10.5 just in couple of days, as soon as I get to it. Thanks, dudes!

3. Francis Devereux says:

Great news on the personal license upgrade price drop. Downloading now :-)

4. Congratulations guys! Now that IDEA 10.5 is finally out of the door, I hope that PyCharm based upon 10.5 will follow soon :-)

5. Fredrik says:

Thanks a lot, hoping for a lot less bugs than in the 10.0 release.

The price before the cuts wasn’t really too high, but hopefully this will attract at least more personal license owners.

6. pmac says:

This is quite buggy so far (I know some will say I should open bugs, but, frankly, I can’t be bothered. I don’t open bugs for any other software I pay for).

- In java debug mode, when mousing-over a variable, the variable inspector pops up as expected, but when you move your mouse to examine the variable, the popup disappears. Really important that this is fixed, IMO.

- In a two screen environment, the javadoc view is opening on my second screen in certain situations.

- When adding a module dependency, the screen froze for about three minutes (the module being added is tiny).

Those are what I’ve noticed having been using it for about half an hour. I hope I just happen to have stumbled upon all of the major issues, and there aren’t more.

Looking forward to 10.5.1. This is on a Mac.

7. Oleg Shpynov says:

Hello guys,

We are going to public Ruby plugin for 10.5 in a couple of days. Right now it is under QA processing. Sorry for such inconveniences.

Regards,
    Oleg

8. Robin Sander says:

After upgrading from 10.0.3 to 10.5 IntelliJ now freezes after several actions and/or minutes! (mac os 10.6.7, java 6, 64 bit)
    I already cleared the whole cache, disabled some plugins and validations but still it freezes, so I will switch back to 10.0.3. Bummer!

9. trespasserw says:

Robin,

please file an issue with thread dump attached.

10. sferrazzi says:

Hi,

IDEA-69367 this bug is open for 10.5 final. :-(

No good, boys…

11. Patrick says:

Thanks for the info Oleg, looking forward to the release.

12. Håkon Nilsen says:

I’ve installed IntelliJ 10.5 with great anticipation. But when I fire it up, after it is done with the indexing and stuff, it tries to refresh my Maven projects. It can’t handle it. I get an “Out of memory” dialog, which says the Xmx is too low, and I need to adjust it upwards. When adjusting it over 1200MB Java won’t start IntelliJ. Anything up to 1200MB isn’t enough according to IntelliJ.

This must be a huge bug, and it needs fixing! I was running IntelliJ 10.0.3 just fine with 512Xmx since it came out, and now it needs to consume all of my computer?

I was hoping 10.5 would prove to be better for my computer than 10.0.3 was, because that was just eating up all my resources.

Oh well…

13. Oleg Shpynov says:

We’ve got good news for you. Plugin for IntellIJ IDEA 10.5 is available via plugin manager.

Regards,
    Oleg

14. Philip says:

@pmac regarding the variable popup in debug mode: the disappearing popup is very annoying but you can hold ALT and click on the variable to inspect

15. I have been using Eclipse from very start and always thought that eclipse is the best IDE available but I see lot of love for IntelliJ even though its paid one , any particular reason guys or what is there in intelliJ which is not available in eclipse @ free of cost?

16. Oscar Mendoza says:

Dudes, congrats on the release!! Nice features!!! However, I’ve been trying to download the release since yesterday (linux, ultimate edition) and every time I open the file, I get an error, is something wrong with the linux tar??

Once again, congrats!!

Regards,
    Oscar

17. pmac says:

@Philip, thanks. With longer use, I haven’t seen any more issues, so if those are fixed, then it’ll be a great release.

18. Jordan Lee says:

Great new release. Haven’t had any problems for the last couple days at all.

19. Arvicco says:

After installing this release, I lost all ability to do Ruby-related development. Since so many people use Idea for Ruby/Rails development, there should have been a WARNING that the release breaks their Ruby work, not a promotion of non-existent “Updated Ruby … Plugins” in the release notes!

20. Dave says:

I’ve installed idea 10.5 but i think it has many problems with j2ee facets,
    for example when i added hibernate facet the required libs would not be downloaded,
    or after adding javaEEapplication facet to a previously created app i realized that the libraries would not be added.

21. Jacob says:

going back to 10.0.3 also as cucumber gem doesn’t seem to recognised in ruby 1.8.7 sdk on 10.5 with the latest ruby plugin

22. Keith says:

There is a memory leak bug in this release; keep reporting out of memory exceptions even at xmx 2048m;

There is a P1 in there somewhere regarding memory consumption:

[ 23891] ERROR – m.intellij.concurrency.JobUtil – Java heap space
    java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    at gnu.trove.TIntObjectHashMap.setUp(TIntObjectHashMap.java:131)
    at gnu.trove.TPrimitiveHash.(TPrimitiveHash.java:83)
    at gnu.trove.TPrimitiveHash.(TPrimitiveHash.java:68)
    at gnu.trove.TIntHash.(TIntHash.java:58)
    at gnu.trove.TIntObjectHashMap.(TIntObjectHashMap.java:55)
    at com.intellij.lang.javascript.index.JSNamespace.doRead(JSNamespace.java:103)
    at com.intellij.lang.javascript.index.JSNamespace.read(JSNamespace.java:91)
    at com.intellij.lang.javascript.index.JSIndexEntryBase.load(JSIndexEntryBase.java:86)
    at com.intellij.lang.javascript.index.JSIndexEntry2.(JSIndexEntry2.java:33)
    at com.intellij.lang.javascript.index.JSEntryIndex$2.read(JSEntryIndex.java:39)
    at com.intellij.lang.javascript.index.JSEntryIndex$2.read(JSEntryIndex.java:32)
    at com.intellij.util.indexing.MapIndexStorage$ValueContainerExternalizer.read(MapIndexStorage.java:329)
    at com.intellij.util.indexing.MapIndexStorage$ValueContainerExternalizer.read(MapIndexStorage.java:278)
    at com.intellij.util.io.PersistentHashMap.get(PersistentHashMap.java:276)
    at com.intellij.util.indexing.MapIndexStorage$1$1.compute(MapIndexStorage.java:79)
    at com.intellij.util.indexing.MapIndexStorage$1$1.compute(MapIndexStorage.java:71)
    at com.intellij.util.indexing.ChangeTrackingValueContainer.a(ChangeTrackingValueContainer.java:125)
    at com.intellij.util.indexing.ChangeTrackingValueContainer.getValueIterator(ChangeTrackingValueContainer.java:93)
    [ 23893] ERROR – m.intellij.concurrency.JobUtil – IntelliJ IDEA 10.5 Build #IU-107.105
    [ 23893] ERROR – m.intellij.concurrency.JobUtil – JDK: 1.7.0-ea
    [ 23893] ERROR – m.intellij.concurrency.JobUtil – VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM
    [ 23893] ERROR – m.intellij.concurrency.JobUtil – Vendor: Oracle Corporation
    at com.intellij.lang.javascript.index.JSNamespace.doRead(JSNamespace.java:103)
    at com.intellij.lang.javascript.index.JSIndexEntry2.(JSIndexEntry2.java:33)
    at com.intellij.lang.javascript.index.JSEntryIndex$2.read(JSEntryIndex.java:39)
    at com.intellij.lang.javascript.index.JSEntryIndex$2.read(JSEntryIndex.java:32)
    at com.intellij.util.io.PersistentHashMap.get(PersistentHashMap.java:276)

23. Jbk says:

I have the same issue as Håkon.
    I have a MacBookPro with 8G and had several projects which ran fine in 10.0.3.
    I now grabbed 10.5 and no matter how much memory I allocate to it it will use it all up as soon as I open any of my previous projects. Regardless of whether is a MAVEN, Java, grails….same thing. I can set it to 4096 and it will still run out of memory.

I saw a post about disabling the IDETalk plugin which I did but still runs out of memory.

Any ideas?

24. nicity says:

2 Keith and Jbk renaming of Idea system directory (~/.IntelliJIdea10/system on Win/Linux or ~/Library/Caches/IntelliJIdea10 on Mac ) should help (see discussion in http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/WI-6428 )

25. nicity says:

2 Jbk, Keith and Håkon Nilsen try renaming your ~/Library/Caches/IntelliJIdea10 (~/.IntelliJIdea10 on Win / Linux), might be http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/WI-6428

26. Jeremy says:

I had the same “m.intellij.concurrency.JobUtil – Java heap space” problem when opening a JSP page in 10.5. Renaming the Caches dir fixed the problem.

27. greg says:

It looks like the CFBundleIdentifier in the osx bundle has changed (whyyyyy?) – and is probably wrong in the Ultimate Edition: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/IDEA-70516

28. Stu says:

I’ll agree with the sentiment that 10.5 is too buggy to use. I’m having constant issues with my projects freezing when packaging maven builds. I’ve been building with IntelliJ since 7 and these are the worst issues I’ve faced. I’m reverting to 10.3 until the next release.

29. Bob says:

Our team is finding 10.5 unusable as it constantly freezes upon loading and indexing source tree.

30. Troy says:

I too believe there is a memory leak. If I leave Idea 10.5.1 open overnight, it will max out the allotted memory (1024M) and run very slow until I close it and reopen it. No background tasks show up in Idea, so its hard to tell of there is a process contributing to the problem. It’s also hard to know whether it is some 3rd party plugin causing the problem.

I’m getting ready to disable every plugin that I don’t normally use to see if that makes a difference.

31. Garrett says:

I have the same experience as Troy, running on CentOS 5 32-bit.

32. Rom says:

I am experiencing the same thing. I will try disabling all unneeded plugins.

33. Joel says:

I’m having the same problem as Troy in version Intellij Ultimate 11.0.2 running on Windows Server 2003 x64 and Java 1.6.22 (not 64 bit). Many of my colleagues have the same problem.
    When I first open my project in Idea, it uses very little memory (285M out of 1024 max allotted), but over the course of the day that number continuously increases. If I leave Idea 11.0.2 running overnight, it will max out the allotted memory (1024M) and run extremely slowly until I close it and reopen it. No background tasks show up in Idea, so its hard to tell of there is a process contributing to the problem. I’ve tried invalidating the caches and that doesn’t help as the heap continuously increases. It’s also hard to know whether it is some 3rd party plugin causing the problem.

Is there anything I can do to help diagnose or resolve this problem?

Thanks,