New in 10.5: Attach debugger to a running Android process

Recently, we’ve introduced a new feature that should make it MUCH easier to debug your Android applications. Now, you can attach IntelliJ IDEA debugger to any process running on an Android device or in the emulator, which is related to the source code of your project.

Just click “Attach debugger to Android process” toolbar button and you’ll see the list of processes grouped by device they are running on:

Note: to be shown in the list above the name of the process should be specified in AndroidManifest.xml as a “package” or “process” XML attribute.

The feature is, of course, available in the IntelliJ IDEA 10.5 Release Candidate. So, you are welcome to try and let us know what you think.

This entry was posted in New Features and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to New in 10.5: Attach debugger to a running Android process

1. Paul says:

In the Choose process dialog I see the device id but there is no list of processes.
    This is while the Android Logcat view is working.

‘adb shell ps’ works too.

2. karel herink says:

Hi,
    I have the actual device and an emulator running at the same time and the process can be selected for debugging in the emulator but not on the device (Nexus S). When I execute:
    ./adb -d shell ps
    I can see the process listed:
    app_72 14591 75 112724 34324 ffffffff 00000000 S au.com.objectconsulting.vodafone.mobile.gss
    this is using IntelliJ 10.5.1 on OSX Lion

3. Sam Khan says:

I am experiencing the same issue as the user above in that I see the device id but no processes. I’ve specified various combination of the package and process attributes in the manifest file but still no luck. Any help would be appreciated!

4. Eugene Kudelevsky says:

@Sam, please submit an issue to our tracker: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/dashboard.

5. Magnus says:

I am having the same issue as Sam Khan and Paul. No process, only device id. And the ‘adb shell ps’ works

6. Lak says:

Hi,
    I am a Android mobile developer, I need to develop/debug with full code base that include the framework.

Eclipse can load full code base as following,

Can IntelliJ possible load full android code base just like Eclipse? How?

7. HAMID says:

when start to debug android in VS
    show this message “Device: No Devices Attached is either not running or not attached.”
    help me…