Tell us how you use IntelliJ IDEA

If you’ve already launched IntelliJ IDEA 10.5 you probably noticed this  “green notification” asking your permission to send information to JetBrains about your IntelliJ IDEA project configuration (which frameworks are used and which are not) and feature usage statistics (e.g. how often extract method refactoring is used).

We just want to say that this information is VERY important for us and will help us concentrate our efforts exactly on the tools and technologies that you really use.

Analyzing your “productivity” statistics (Help | Productivity Guide) can help us discovering some useful but rarely used actions and refactorings and publish more posts and tutorials about them.

If you’ve originally disabled this feature, we kindly ask you to think again and, if you change your mind, you can switch it ON in IDE Settings | Usage Statistics section.

All the data sent to JetBrains is anonymous and does not contain any personal information.

Thanks for all the stats!
The IntelliJ IDEA Team

This entry was posted in Tips & Tricks and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Tell us how you use IntelliJ IDEA

1. Denis says:

I couldn’t use it, because I couldn’t start it. All I see is a splash screen. Windows 7 64 edition.

2. sam says:

i love all the automated stuff :-)
    but i rarely use the features which i must call by unlearnable keyboard shortcuts.
    it is hard to remember any of those shift+alt+ctrl+cmd+something shortcuts.
    redefining them all manually is very hard because there is no remove-all-shortcuts to start up from a clean base.

but the heaviest point for me, why i am not using all the features from idea is – there is no using-this-feature-pays-off-in-this-or-that-situation.

jetbrains.tv is a great place to put these stuff in but for me i can not find the needed information when-to-use-this-feature. it is just a how-to-use videa collection. i am not a osgi/spring/sql user so many of the features are absolutely unused from me.

3. Wolf Paulus says:

IntelliJ IDEA really is the best IDE for Java currently available and it’s fun to use. However, I find myself using it less and less since it has fallen behind as an IDE to develop Android Apps.
    A GUI layout tool is missing and the C/C++ language support doesn’t seem to work.
    Google’s Android Plugin for Eclipse isn’t a high bar but currently to high for IntelliJ.
    So sadly I’m not using it all that often anymore ..

4. Sujeet Singh says:

Hi,

manner and many users just don’t like it!

Regards,
    Sujeet

5. Marek says:

@Denis
    I bet some plugin is preventing IDEA from starting. The same was for me, I disabled “Idea server plugin” in the 10.0.3 and 10.5RC works now, although it’s too buggy for me to use (plugins issues).

6. Arnon says:

Would be nice if help/productivity guide would highlight features that are often used by others and not used by me

7. Bryan A says:

@Sujeet Sing Instead of using that feature, why don’t you put up a survey at your site and collect the data required. Of late many companies have started collecting user’s data in this manner and many users just don’t like it!

Surveys are what Jetbrains probably used in deciding to support all those frameworks and languages they currently do. But going forward where should they invest their resources? People exaggerate in surveys and surveys can’t show the exact features developers are using and what features are never used.

But why would any developer have a problem with anonymous data being sent back to Jetbrains to help them improve IntelliJ? Hey they can have my stack traces and anything else they want.

Seriously, we live in a world where people put there most personal information up on Facebook for all the world to see.

Congratulations to the Jetbrain’s developers on releasing IntelliJ 10.5. Very impressive piece of software.

8. New idea user says:

I am having issues with the atlassian plugin. They were working fine with 10.0 but I get a null error at startup and hence the JIRA #Integration is broken for me.

9. Ilya says:

I would love to see C/C++ support at some point. Eclipse sucks.