Today we have exciting news for all Android developers who use IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate or IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition as their IDE of choice — Android UI Designer, one of the most desired features, is finally coming with the release of IntelliJ IDEA 12.
Once IntelliJ IDEA 12 EAP opens later this week, you can start playing with it. Those who want to get it sooner may build IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition from the source code right now.
Here we would like to highlight the major features of Android UI Designer you will get with the new release:
- Adding new component to Canvas or Component Tree with one click.
- Move, Delete, Copy and Paste operations within Canvas and Component Tree.
- Powerful Properties Editor allows editing any number of selected components. You can also hide unimportant properties.
- Component Tree, which shows the hierarchy of components.
- Component Palette with all the components supported by Android SDK.
- Support of all possible UI layouts, FrameLayout, LinearLayout, GridLayout, etc.
- Support of resources in Properties Editor.
- Instant switching between multiple device profiles.
Watch this short overview of Android UI Designer in action:
As you may know, Google I/O 2012 is about to start on 27th of June in San-Francisco. We are happy to be invited to participate in Google I/O Developer Sandbox this year, to present the new features to Android developers. We hope you will join us on the conference to see the demos, ask questions and share your feedback with us and other developers.
UPDATE: Check out our official website for more details and learning materials about Android development and IntelliJ IDEA.
IntelliJ IDEA Team