How is Flash Doing?

Over the last year there have been many rumors about death of Flash, just as rumors about its second life, inspired by Apache and new Adobe AIR features. Since the release of IntelliJ IDEA 11.1 we gather Usage Statistics, which helps us understand better your real needs and allocate resources correspondingly. The statistics of course does not represent the full worldwide picture, but it lets us analyse how IntelliJ IDEA is used for ActionScript and Flex development.

The good news, as it turns out, is that the number of active ActionScript and Flex developers has been growing constantly. As a proof, here’s a chart showing how many times Flash Run Configuration was started each month:

Here are some more Flash-related statistics in case you’re interested.

Target platform:

Pure ActionScript vs Flex:

Maven Flexmojos vs standard project setup:

As a conclusion we would like to say a huge thank you to all who agreed to send Anonymous Usage Statistics to JetBrains.

If you haven’t done this since you first started IntelliJ IDEA, please open Settings (Preferences on Mac), search for the Usage Statistics settings page and select the checkbox.

Develop with Pleasure!

This entry was posted in News & Events and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to How is Flash Doing?

1. Fábio Oliveira says:

I’d say the only conclusion you can take out of that chart is, and using your own sentence, that “the number of active ActionScript and Flex developers using IntelliJ IDEA has been growing constantly”.

Peace

2. Fábio Oliveira says:

My question is the following:
    isn’t the growth we see here just about the number of Flash developers that started using Intellij ?

Not really related with “Flash is not Dead”, but instead the number of active ActionScript and Flex developers using your tool has been growing constantly.

There. I am now satisfied.
    Being an iOS developer, I must make sure no one thinks Flash still has a chance! ;-)

• Boris says:

Zealotry and IT don’t mix well together. I’m here to tell you that you are way off. I make a lot of money by developing for iOs in AS3.

3. Judah says:

Is there a getting started guide for Flex development with Intellij?

4. deep says:

Country graph expected :(

5. YopSolo says:

@Fábio Oliveira, too late…
    Apple give the 2012 award of the best ipad application to a Flash Application ;)

Is there a tut that explain how to start with IntelliJ and Flash Action Script ?

6. Jim Robson says:

76% Web, and 76% Flex. I’m guessing it’s mostly Enterprise development, where Flex is very much alive and well.

7. Frank Wienberg says:

Just to let you know, there are a couple more IDEA ActionScript developers out there who just happen to not invoke “Flash Run Configuration”, so we are not part of that statistic. We use Jangaroo to compile ActionScript to JavaScript, so we take advantage of the nifty support IDEA offers for ActionScript, but never actually run the code in FlashPlayer or AIR.
    Keep on the good work!

8. Sergio Brito says:

Hey YopSolo!

which one is the Flash app that won 2012 award of the best ipad application??

9. wing says:

@Fábio Oliveira

if flash is really dead. how come the tools of writing as3/flex not dead and even more people are using it?
    And you should also beware the Apache Flex is doing well.

The developer will choose the best tool for development. But I think you’re only very casual iOS developers so that you think that as3 is sxck. But in fact, as3 is great.

10. Anand says:

Thanks for sharing such an insight. I do agree that Flash is imortal and can not be just dead any day.
    I was looking at some HTML 5 books and am surprised, every single example is compared with Flash and try to meet its level, though its hard to do so and funny at the same time.

I own a company PlanetRIA running on pure Flex/Flash technologies and is growing manifolds evcery other day.
    I have shared my own experience over here http://www.planetria.com/blogs/5-reasons-why-you-should-code-in-apache-flex-air
    Thanks
    Anand

11. Alexander Doroshko says:

@Judah, @YopSolo I believe that getting started with Flex or ActionScript project in IntelliJ IDEA is pretty intuitive, though agree that we at JetBrains should post some tutorials ourselves. You can look through IntelliJ IDEA help (Help | Help Topics | Language and Framework-Specific Guidelines | ActionScript and Flex) or search for some 3rd party ‘getting started’ blog posts in the Internet or just try New Project | Flash Module and follow very simple wizard.

12. sanjeev says:

GREAT!!!!… I was thinking to move to HTML5 and after writing a small enterprise application I am frustrated with it to test it on various browsers with a number of frameworks a very BAD experience with HTML5

MOVING BACK TO MY OLD FRIEND FLASH & FLEX

13. DreamingCode says:

I was told back in 2010 that flash has died. In 2013 i was told that :

1. Google uses Blink rendering engine and V8 Javascript.
    2. Mozilla uses Gecko rendering engine and SpiderMonkey Javascript.
    3. Apple uses Webkit2 rendering and Nitro javascript.
    4. Microsoft uses Trident engine and Chackra javascript.

I know realize that back to 2010 i was fooled.
    I know realize that 2013 Flash player came back from the dead.
    Resurrected !

14. Anatole Tartakovsky says:

Alexander, can you comment on progress/availability of falcon with Idea?
    Anatole

15. Alexander Doroshko says:

@Anatole ActionScript Compiler 2.0 (which has the same code base as Falcon compiler for MXML) is already supported for a long time. As far as I know Falcon compiler that supports MXML is not in beta quality yet, so it is not supported yet.