CIDR goes public as AppCode — a new Objective-C IDE!

Horray!

It’s been a while since the first announcement that JetBrains is working on an Objective-C environment and we know many have been keen to try a new tool.

So, without too many words, Early Access Program for appCode IDE is now open!

We are very much looking forward to your feedback to help us create a tool you would enjoy using daily. This is why this early access program exists in the first place. Please note that appCode is not even a Beta yet, we have lots of things to do by 1.0.

So, to share information and discuss the product development with you, we have this blog, a dedicated discussion forum and an issue tracker. Your questions, ideas, features requests and bug reports are welcome (in their respective places)!

We kindly invite you to download the latest build from the appCode EAP page, give it a try, and let us know what you think.

Develop with pleasure!
-JetBrains appCode team

This entry was posted in Announcement and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to CIDR goes public as AppCode — a new Objective-C IDE!

1. Taras Tielkes says:

Issue tracker link is outdated

2. Paul says:

It would be nice if the app was developed in cocoa instead of java. Java never really conquered the UI very well. It would look and behave so much much better.

Same goes for all JB’s Mac products.

• Alexey Pegov says:

Paul, appCode based on IntelliJ IDEA Platform, which is written in Java, so appCode itself is also written in Java.

If you have any UI suggestions or bugs please post them to our Issue Tracker. Thanks!

• Jordan Zimmerman says:

I can’t disagree more. IntelliJ IDEA is perfect on all platforms. XCode is awful.

• John says:

I actually like the XCode UI, but what good is a pretty UI when the text editor is the feature you’re using most, and XCode’s text editor is missing all kinds of important functionality? IDEA managed to combine TextMate-style code snippet behaviors with instant code completion, and on top of that gives you all of the inspections and refactorings you expect from an IDE. And I especially can’t stand not having Vim shortcuts ever since I took the time to learn them a few months ago. AppCode is working great with IdeaVim. Plus I use IntelliJ IDEA for almost all of my ActionScript, JavaScript, Java, and Ruby on Rails development, so it’s nice to only have to remember the shortcuts for one IDE. One thing I have noticed about IDEA/AppCode is that it runs much better in 32-bit mode than 64-bit mode, being noticeably more responsive even on a core i7 machine. I think a little blue pop-up clued me in to that one.

3. Chris says:

Support for Mercurial would be important.

4. Rick says:

This is great news! Apple never conquered the ide very well.

5. Right. This is killer. Totally killer. I’ve tried it out for 5 minutes and I already love it. Totally in love. I’m not sure Xcode will get used by me ever again.

I usually hate non cocoa front ends, but since gives me an IDE that, you know, WORKS and stuff, I couldn’t care less right now. I got so excited looking at the refactorings menu just now I nearly had a heart attack. And they work! And they’re fast! Unlike Xcode, which is a shameful bit of software.

Finally, we Cocoa developers have a kick ass development tool. I get the feeling I’m going to really grow to love AppCode. And boy, do I need the productivity boost.

A thousand thanks, JetBrains, for giving us all a tool that finally does our craft justice. And shame on Apple for not making something like this years ago.

6. Pingback: AppCode – IDE For Developing, Debugging And Deploying iOS Apps EAP Version Is Out! | oObly

7. Jordan Zimmerman says:

I had no idea!!! I just found out about this today. I’m mainly a Java developer. For fun I do iPhone apps. So, at my 9-5 I have the greatest IDE ever created and then for “fun” I go to the backwoods of XCode. I just downloaded and brought up my iPhone app. Boom – works great. This is so freaking awesome!!!

8. This is awesome! I opened a test project that had about ten lines of code and it already found and offered to fix two bugs: a memory leak and an incorrect format string. I’m actually excited about programming in Objective-C now.

9. GeekyCoder says:

Finally, Xcode faces serious competition !

Thank for showing Apple how a great IDE should work and how intelligent a IDE should be.

It doesn’t matter if AppCode isn’t a true Cocoa-based application as long as it works superbly. I rather prefer that AppCode is written in Java as it built on decade of work on the most intelligent IDE ever.

Bravo !

10. GeekyCoder says:

One valuable feature that Xcode users glamour for but still never get it in Xcode is built-in code formatting. Finally, we get to have this feature in AppCode, and it is really works wonderfully. The Reformat Code feature that works on Objective-C already worth its value of AppCode ! No more relying on hack (crustify) to perform code formatting of objective-c. What we have is flexibility and powerful code formatting built-in in AppCode.

Jetbrains should aggressively promote this Reformat Code among its impressive code editing feature, because this is one serious feature that is lacking in Xcode.

11. Demetrio Filocamo says:

Guys this is a really great news!!! I will finally be able to use a REAL IDE for Objective-C as well and not only for Java!! I hate XCode!

Dem

12. Israel says:

Finally, a normal IDE. XCode is so bad that I considered dropping iPhone development. Even the EAP version works so much better than XCode. Thanks!!

Comments are closed.