PyCharm 1.0 Beta 2 is available

Today we’re happy to announce that PyCharm has gotten one step closer to the final version, with the release of the 1.0 Beta 2 version. All in all, it includes more than 100 fixes and improvements in the Python/Django/App Engine part. The most important changes are:

• Buildout support – probably the most requested feature in PyCharm so far. Buildout is supported for both Django and regular Python projects, and we’ve put a lot of effort into ensuring that Django projects using Buildout are automatically configured and ‘just work’ when opened in PyCharm;
  • Greatly improved import of binary modules, ensuring much better support for wxPython, PyQt4 and PyGTK;
  • Major improvements to code analysis performance;
  • Support for Structure View in Django templates;
  • Several new inspections to validate correctness of tag and filter usage in Django templates;
  • Support for manage.py commands defined in libraries (such as South) in ‘Run manage.py task’ action.

We’ve also picked up all of the goodies in the latest version of the IntelliJ Platform. The features we’d particularly like to highlight are:

• Spell checker in the Commit dialog;
  • Option to ensure that edited text always fits in the specified right margin (Code Style | General | Wrap when typing reaches right margin)
  • Improvements for memory usage during indexing, including a fix for a problem that could cause indexing to get stuck indefinitely.

Download PyCharm Beta 2, and don’t forget to get your 50% discount code for the final release of PyCharm!

This entry was posted in Early Access Preview. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to PyCharm 1.0 Beta 2 is available

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention JetBrains PyCharm Blog » Blog Archive » PyCharm 1.0 Beta 2 is available -- Topsy.com

2. Michael says:

Excellent work! I’ve been bouncing back and forth between Textmate and Espresso for the past few years, but I don’t know if I can go back after developing in PyCharm for the past few weeks. I’m excited to try out Beta2, and look forward to the 1.0 release!

3. Fabio Corneti says:

This is terrific, with buildout/virtualenv support (working!) this is the first Python/Django IDE done right in the history of the language. Great job! Can’t wait for the final release.

4. astral_reaper says:

But is a slower than beta1 on ubuntu

5. Syam Pannala says:

I am using it on Ubuntu and Open JDK (btw, sun jdk is pretty tough to get and install and open JDK is supposed to be almost exactly the same). I am seeing enough crashes with Beta 2 that I am switching back to the older version for now. I’ll wait for the next one. If you need me to send you some debug info to help debug this, let me know.

Please ensure that open JDK (or atleast a version) is supported. I am paying customer of IDEA and will gladly pay (50% off!) for PyCharm.

6. yole says:

Syam,
    Could you please file an issue at http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/ and attach ~/.PyCharm10/system/logs/idea.log so that we could investigate the crashes?
    Unfortunately we’ve seen a significant number of UI problems when running our products under OpenJDK which were fixed by switching to Sun JDK. Because of that, we can’t officially support OpenJDK at the moment.

7. Syam Pannala says:

It is much better with the Sun JDK. I have seen no crash so far. And yes, the openjdk crash stack trace had awt in it.