PyCharm 1.5 EAP build 107.130: database support, new Move refactoring

Today, hot on the heels of the IntelliJ IDEA 10.5 release, we’ve released a new EAP build of PyCharm 1.5. This build includes two major new features (which will probably be the last major new features of the 1.5 release).

The first one is database support. You can now use PyCharm to edit .sql files (with full syntax highlighting and code completion), browse the structure of the tables on your database server, run queries and view their results. And of course, in Django applications, PyCharm will automatically recognize the databases referenced from your settings.py file and offer to configure data sources for them. (This currently works for SQLite, MySQL and PostgreSQL database engines).

The second one is a new refactoring: Move Class/Function. You can now press F6 on a class or a function to move it to another file, and update all imports as needed.

Of course, we’ve also fixed many problems, both in new features (such as ReST/Epydoc support) and in older ones (such as highlighting of unused or unbound variables).

You can download the new build from the PyCharm EAP page.

This entry was posted in Early Access Preview and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to PyCharm 1.5 EAP build 107.130: database support, new Move refactoring

1. Jakub says:

The new features sound good, but I’m getting “com.jetbrains.python.psi.impl.PyNamedParameterImpl cannot be cast to com.jetbrains.python.psi.PyFunction” for almost any file I open.

2. RobW says:

The new database support features are very welcomed indeed.

Outside of generic ODBC connectivity, what level of automatic support is being planned for MS SQL Server?

We’re likely to start a MySQL to MS SQL Server conversion, so the pending release of the new database features in 1.5 could not come at a better time.

Cheers,
    Rob

3. hello says:

Hello. Can you tell me when 1.5 will be released?

4. yole says:

Jakub,
    File | Invalidate Caches should help.

Rob,
    In any case, you can configure a data source for your application manually. This is already supported for MS SQL in the current EAP version.

The final 1.5 release will be out in a few weeks.

5. Is mySQL over SSL supported as well?

6. This post should be tagged EAP.

7. yole says:

Support for MySQL over SSL is an issue of the underlying JDBC driver and not PyCharm itself, but I see no reason for it to be unsupported.

8. Masklinn says:

I get significant JS regressions in this EAP: the JS engine keeps crashing during rendering and refresh, even though I had no problem in 107.40 and JSLint does not find any utterly egregious error.

9. Brad Miller says:

It would be nice if I could set some preferences for .rst files.

For example in a large restructuredText project after I make modifications to some paragraphs it would be nice to use Code | Reformat Code to clean up the paragraph but that doesn’t do it all the old line breaks are kept intact. I can’t uncheck the Line Breaks option under Wrapping and Braces because that will mess up my Python.

Maybe its already possible to do this and I just haven’t found the right place in preferences?