What’s mining: Leaner CSS in RubyMine

Hello guys,

Today are going to show you a brand new feature of RubyMineLESS support. Information about this language can be found here.  LESS coding has never been so easy!

What’s in?

• LESS syntax highlighting
  • On-the-fly syntax checking
  • All the brilliant CSS editing features are available for LESS as well
  • LESS variables support with code completion, one click go to declaration, usages search and rename refactoring!

Why LESS, you may ask? As far as we are making our decisions on new functionality using your votes, we know that many of you are already using LESS as an alternative to CSS in your every day coding. We’ve got quite a few votes for LESS support: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/RUBY-4419 and voila — it is here!

Also, we are working hard on Sassy CSS support: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/RUBY-5874

P.S. All this cool staff will be available in coming Early Access Preview build of RubyMine 2.5 and also in new versions of other JetBrains IDEs such as IntelliJ IDEA, PhpStorm and WebStorm.

Develop with pleasure!
-JetBrains RubyMine Team

This entry was posted in Cutting Edge, Feature, WhatsMining. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to What’s mining: Leaner CSS in RubyMine

1. Jez says:

Awesome work guys – I can’t wait to get these features in Sass 3!

2. Pjero says:

Nice!
    I also cant wait for SASS to have this to.

Keep up the good work

3. Oleg Shpynov says:

@Pjero Your website really rocks :)

4. Amit says:

Yey!

Finally, LESS support is here..
    I’m using Rubymine for 6 months now, and this is the only feature that can make me even more productive :)

5. Oleg Shpynov says:

@Amit Develop with pleasure!

6. Bhavin says:

Hi,

I have been using the latest build and have been thoroughly impressed with your decision to include LESS support. It shows how much you care about developer productivity.

I have recently migrated to less.js from ruby-based LESS. Since it gets parsed at client-side. It makes the whole deplyment cycle especially during development less painful. However, it has minor differences with ruby-based LESS. Do you have plans to support those syntax? For example, it supports javascript evaluation using “ wrappers.

Also, one minor glitch that I have noticed in this build is that it does not recognize less variables that are imported through @import. Do you plan to fix that in the upcoming builds.

7. Oleg Shpynov says:

Hi Bhavin,
    Thanks a lot for your feedback!
    Talking about LESS support:
    1. Glitch with variables in imports is already fixed an will be available in next EAP build coming soon.
    2. We don’t have any plans for supporting less JS, however feature request is welcome at: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issues/RUBY

Best regards,
    Oleg

8. Ronnie says:

I am currently using LESS in my grails application with Intellij 9.0.2. I’m really liking the LESS js but I can’t seem to find the Intellij 9.0.2 support for LESS in the config. Can you point me in the right direction so I can enable this?

Thanks in advance.

9. Pierre says:

Hello
    I have the syntactic colors for less file in intellij 10.5.1 but I don’t
    have code completion as shown in the screenshot. Is this feature available for intellij ?

10. Eric says:

Where can I vote for LESS support for IDEA? It’s still not in 10.5?

11. Yuriy says:

CSS code completion still does not work in IntelliJ IDEA 10.5.2 in LESS files.
    When can it be fixed?