RubyMine 3, the right choice for developing with Rails 3

It is here! Please welcome everyone RubyMine 3.0 — the IDE created for Rails 3 development.

This release mainly focuses on strong Rails 3.0 compatibility but even if you are not on Rails 3 yet, you’ll find a huge number of improvements to every environment aspect, such as:

• Ruby code coverage with RCov,
  • Support for LESS, SCSS, rdoc and improvements for all supported languages,
  • Zen coding support for faster HTML/CSS coding,
  • Much better Git integration and support for Mercurial version control,
  • Major UI changes and performance improvements.

Read more about what’s new and download RubyMine 3.0.

Other important change — RubyMine 3.0 personal license is now 30% cheaper than before!
Note that RubyMine 3 is a free upgrade if you have a RubyMine license purchased after Nov 29, 2009.

RubyMine 3.0 took time to appear but we are very happy with the result and want to heartily thank all the early adopters for their invaluable feedback.

Develop with pleasure!
JetBrains RubyMine Team

This entry was posted in Announcement and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to RubyMine 3, the right choice for developing with Rails 3

1. Walter Souto says:

Só, what about GitHub integration like in WebStorm?

2. Dennis.Ushakov says:

Walter, GitHub integration is planned for 3.1 (see http://confluence.jetbrains.net/display/RUBYDEV/Development+Roadmap )

3. Norbert Winklareth says:

The Windows download button does not work.

4. Yaroslav says:

Any ETA for IDEA Ruby plugin update? Will it support the same features as RubyMine 3 itself?

5. dennis.ushakov@jetbrains.com says:

@Yaroslav, we’re going to release Ruby plugin together with IDEA X. But we’ll try to publish updated version earlier, most probably this week

6. Norbert Winklareth says:

I tried with:
    Chrome 9.0.587.0,
    FireFox Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.12) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.6.12,
    IE 8.0.6001.18975
    Safari 5.0 7533.16
    Opera 10.63

I tried on the following pages:

When I tried with FireFox, I tried with FireBug turned on and that there was an error and the error is that page_tracker is undefined.

I hope this helps, let me know if there is anything else I can tell you.

7. rbdev says:

Please, fix ugly font rendering under linux :(

8. DGM says:

download link also did not work in firefox on mac. It did work in chrome on mac.

9. John says:

Download link also does not work with Firefox on Linux
    This onclick=pageTracker… stuff is broken?

10. Arvicco says:

Download buttton is not working from Firefox/Mac (and there are no obvious ways to download without clicking it). This does not look professional and you guys are sure losing potential customers because of this.

11. Arvicco says:

I just had to guess that a direct download link for Mac is:

12. Mark Abramov says:

I could only wish I used that trial period before buying :)

Good job.

13. Archer says:

@ Mark Abramov,
    >> I could only wish I used that trial period before buying :-)
    - – -
    I’m curious: What did you mean by that? Did/do you have issues with RubyMine3? I’m looking for a Ruby/Rails IDE and am interested in learning from others who have tried packages like RubyMine.

Thanks!

14. Bill says:

Argh. Are arrow keys supposed to move the window by default now, rather than move the cursor? This is an annoying default behavior, hoping that it’s something about my environment that it is making it happen. I’m on 64-bit Lucid Lynx. How do I get the arrow keys to move the cursor?

15. @Bill: This sounds very odd. Of course not a supposed behavior. Could you please submit details to our issue tracker (http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issues/RUBY) or ask the team on the forum (http://devnet.jetbrains.net/community/ruby)?

16. Dan Michaelson says:

Guys great job. I’ve never seen developers, open or closed source, be so quick to respond substantively to bug reports and even feature suggestions I think. At least on my computer (just a Macbook Pro 13″), Rubymine 3.0 is the snappiest-feeling and most reliable Rails IDE I’ve used (and I’ve used RadRails, Aptana, and Netbeans pretty extensively), the best Ruby text editor (better than Textmate or Coda), and the sanest, clearest organization and selection of helpful IDE features. The keyboard friendliness is a particular win. Thanks and please keep it up!

17. @Dan: Thanks a lot! We really appreciate your feedback. Develop with pleasure!

18. Wang Yizhuo says:

The ugly font rendering under linux is a deal breaker for me. I would very much to try it, but I cannot bear with the fonts.

19. Bill says:

It appears that my issue had something to do with the keymappings exported by Rubymine 2 not being compatible with the keymappings imported into Rubymine 3. To fix it, I basically had to wipe out my imported keymappings and re-map everything from scratch. But after doing that, the arrow keys worked. Now I have different broken stuff, but will submit that through other channels.

20. virtualeyes says:

Same, IntelliJ on Linux = UGLY

Clearly a powerful IDE, but if it makes you feel like vomiting, well, look elsewhere…

21. Chuck says:

Wang, rbdev:

On a thread about PHPStorm, the following advice for font rendering was given:

File|Settings|Appearance|Look and Feel and set it to OS native, which for Ubuntu is “GTK+”

It has made a huge difference to the appearance.