RubyMine 3.1: Faster Code Completion, New Refactoring, SQL Console and more

RubyMine 3.1 is available for download.

This update brings a lot of fixes to the IDE functionality, stability and performance, but also adds several new features. In RubyMine we introduce something new and long-awaited with every new release. So, make sure to check these new functions:

• Autopopup code completion — code completion suggestions appear instantly as you type.
  • Introduce Parameter refactoring added for Ruby.
  • SQL console — RubyMine auto-detects the database your Rails project uses and offers an SQL console.
  • Command line application (‘mine’) — opens files and projects in RubyMine from command line.
  • Added ability to build Rails app into a .WAR file.
  • Structure view now works for Shoudla tests and for Test::Unit “test” closures.
  • JavaScript debugger is more Rails-aware now. It can start along with the Rails application.
  • GitHub integration — open projects in IDE right from a remote repository, or share your project as a new GitHub repository right from the IDE (screencast).
  • Floating editor windows — tweak your workspace by undocking and dragging the editor tabs (screencast).

See the full list of fixes from RubyMine bug-tracker.

Try RubyMine now or download and update your current version.

We’ve also updated the Ruby plugin for IntelliJ IDEA, it is now compatible with the latest IntelliJ IDEA 10.0.2.

Last call: RubyMine mega-special-offer ends today! You still have several hours to get your nearly free license. :)

Develop with pleasure!
The RubyMine Team

This entry was posted in Announcement and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to RubyMine 3.1: Faster Code Completion, New Refactoring, SQL Console and more

1. yeah says:

Great app, but ideavim plugin is still old and slow :(

2. Oleg Shpynov says:

Hi yeah,

We have some work planned on the improving ideavim plugin, however there are some temporary technical problems related with recent sourceforge attack.

Regards,
    Oleg

3. When you released 3.0 I thought it did all I wanted and I could stay there for a while… I was wrong. 3.1 sounds cool. I’ll upgrade soon.

4. yeah says:

Wow!
    Now, I’m starting follow JetBrains blog and twitter, for news about IdeaVim plugin.
    I love JetBrains ;)

5. Dirac says:

No .slim template support still :( What does it take for someone like me to implement this on his own?

6. paxer says:

awesome update ! thanks !

7. Thanks!

Will there be an “immediate” window in the debugger in a newer version? Basically an irb you can use while debugging.

8. Drew says:

How do I get the ‘mine’ cli command installed?

9. Rubinsh says:

Great update! the autopopup code completion is a killer feature! and I also like the shell integration (mine command)

Keep up the good work!

10. @Drew: you need to enable the command line script by running “File | Create Command-line Launcher” from RubyMine

11. Brian Takita says:

I already have ‘irb’ in my debugger when I use the command line debugger with Rubymine :-)

12. Two issues: too many small bugs and too often too slow.

Minor bugs include things like the IDE reporting (e.g. for something after redirect_to) a wrong number of arguments when all is correct, and quite a few other mis-reports.

Too slow: for example, on my 1.8GHz 2GB Linux notebook running not much else editing in a controller using I18n t (translate) it took about 5-10 seconds PER KEYSTROKE, and I think that was due to the IDE looking up the localized string in config/locales/… I did not find a way to turn it off.

PS: Oh, and now this feedback form returns without accepting my comment – but also not giving any error message.

All in all, to compare it with another Java-IDE, Netbeans is a MUCH more reliable product even if it has not even half the functionality. What use are all those functions to me if it pretty much makes the IDE unusable? Most of those helpful options are not half as useful as they sound, especially if one cannot trust much of what the IDE reports too much off the time.

No, I am not satisfied. As Douglas Crockford stated it: Why do developers try to optimise down to saving a few seconds of typing when the LEAST they do (in terms of time) is actual typing? This product justifies my skepticism towards fat IDEs.

13. I concur with the previous post by Michael Hasenstein.

3.1 seems a step back. On my Linux box, I didn’t recognize any of the RVM rubies nor gemsets, something that was fixed and worked well in 3.0.

I also agree that the code completion features and are all but useless. This is not Java, guys, most of the methods I want to call are implemented via method_missing (e.g. in Active Record) and pop ups show useless stuff. The one feature I use occasionally is CTRL+space to complete the name of a local variable. I generally have turned off all the bells and whistles that chew up memory and make the IDE slow.

What I care about most is top-notch integration with Ruby tools, like the debugger, RVM, gem control, etc. It’s still not clear to me why the IDE has a separate settings window to attach and detach gems, if there is a Gemfile set. What’s the point? Why don’t you work on that for a change. I do love and use frequently the ability to browse and search gems that are associated with the project.

In RubyMine 2.x there was a key combination to move lines CTRL + cursor up/down. That feature was cripples in 3.0, and my colleague reports it’s totally destroyed in 3.1.

One of the biggest issues I have, just like the previous post, are all the little regression issues. Don’t you guys practice TDD? I presume not, or you wouldn’t have so many regression problems opening up. I find this ironic from the makers of an IDE that’s designed to make TDD an well integrated workflow. What gives?

I’ve loved and used Rubymine for 2+ years, in part because all my friends at Pivotal Labs use it. At the current rate, I’m not sure I’ll renew my subscription again, and will be on the looking to switch to a different tool. That would be a bummer. Please don’t let it come to that.

14. Mikin says:

I agree with the previous poster… Moving current line (or selected lines) up / down in mac using cmd+shift+up / cmd+shift+down worked perfectly in RubyMine 2.x … but its behavior has changed in RubyMine 3.x

I can’t move lines up / down anymore. cmd+shift+up/down moves only *valid statements*. It won’t even move comment lines around.

Please bring back the old behavior in the next update (I am fine having to learn a new shortcut!)

15. Anand Sankaran says:

Are you guys kidding me? Is 3.1 an even usable editor? Whats with the frequent pauses and hang? I run this on a Sandy Bridge i7 machine with 16 GB of RAM and RubyMine installed on a SSD running Ubuntu.

It stinks in Mac OSX (i5 quad core with 8 GB RAM) as well. 3.0.1 has acceptable speed for editing.

Did you guys test this at all with a big project? Very unhappy.

16. Oleg Shpynov says:

Hello Anand,

Please try RubyMine 3.1.1 RC: http://blogs.jetbrains.com/ruby/2011/03/rubymine-3-1-1-rc-103-204/.
    It fixes most of the problems you can face with using RubyMine 3.1.

Regards,
    Oleg

17. zlu says:

unfortunately the mine command has disappeared.

18. Aryk says:

I’m using RubyMine 3.1.1 and I agree with Wolfram and Mikin, are you guys bring back the default behavior for move line? Did you release it in 3.1.1? I don’t see it in the keymaps, all I see is the “move statement” command.

19. Lopik says:

Agree with Aryk,
    The new behavior for move line is bummer :

20. Gerry says:

What does that mean “offers an SQL console”? There is too much SQL output to the Console, how do I turn it off (and on again)?