RubyMine 3.2 EAP (107.261) improves CoffeeScript support

Here is the next update for RubyMine 3.2 EAP.

Thanks to everyone who sent us their feedback about the CoffeeScript syntax highlighting! We’ve improved it significantly since the previous public build. But still your new reports are much appreciated.

There are other fixes and improvements in this build. See the build 107.261 release notes for more details and the complete list of fixed issues.

Download RubyMine 3.2 build 107.261

This entry was posted in Announcement and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to RubyMine 3.2 EAP (107.261) improves CoffeeScript support

1. Jeff Deville says:

Minor Feature Request:
    Ruby files tend to be pretty short, so splitting a file across 2 tabs isn’t all that useful. However, just having muliple tabs visible is. So I find myself splitting a file, and then closing the first one, because what I really want, is just to be able to see two files side by side (code and specs).

Any chance you could create some keyboard shortcuts for: Move To Vertical Tab, or Move To Horizontal Tab?

Thanks!

2. Jeff, you may be interested to take a look at this request and the comments: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/IDEA-56716?query=split+tab+%23Unresolved
    It has a solution for you.

3. Brian Jenkins says:

Nice turnaround time fixing those CoffeeScript parser bugs!
    Thanks!

4. Tor says:

Dear RubyMine developers,

A bit OT, I know, but here we go:

I really like RM, but all the small bugs (of which I have already reported a bunch), and general sluggishness is starting to detract greatly from the user experience. I know I am commenting on a development version, but I am talking in general about the releases since 3.0 (the only releases I have tried), and seriously, you need to hunker down and iron out bugs and straighten out your testing practice!

It is great that you are responsive and open to feedback on your bug tracker, but I think that you rely too much on your community for finding bugs that should be found during your internal testing.

Also, you need to work closer with the bug reporters. It’s annoying to have ones bug report misunderstood and closed. Sometimes it seems like you are rushing to close the ticket.

I’m not sure what the general demographic will say, but personally I would like you to focus on bugs and performance, and I would be a little disappointed if I don’t see some improvement on this aspect before I have to pay for my upgrade protection.

Regards,
    Tor

5. Rafael says:

What I am missing as a major feature, is code completion in the views:
    - no completion on methods (even rails helper methods)
    - no completion on models (objects to be more accurate)
    => like post.t (strg + space) should show post.title e.g.

And in other cases, code completion is showing up where it isn’t wanted, and you cannot get rid off it, until you tap space for example) and delete it the whitespace again.

6. Dan says:

I agree with Tor in some ways but not totally.. JB is great in being so community-oriented with its development process, moreso than its supposedly open source competitors I guess, and I really appreciate that. There are a few bugs and inconsistencies in RubyMine — but in my experience alot fewer than in NetBeans or RadRails/Aptana, its competitors. What I like about RubyMine as an IDE is its reliability, predictability, and overall consitency. I also (somewhat secondarily) appreciate the speed of the releases, it feels like you really care about the product in that way. But I think it does lead to a few bugs and inconsistencies creeping in. Even though RubyMine is better here than its competitors in my view, it’s good keep up the pressure on this (in case you need advice :) ). And to keep up the pressure on performance and against bloat.

That said, it can’t be fair to judge this based on an EAP. People who will get frustrated by bugs should wait for the final release. And JB, you guys should make sure the final release is bug free and performant :) Maybe you should also reconsider the terminology/marketing of these “EAP’s” — is it really more of a beta? I am not sure I want RM prompting me to download a version that isn’t finished, either, which is happening now.

BTW I have noticed Rafael’s bug at times too, code completion that usually works sometimes does not work in the view.

7. Colin Jack says:

> I really like RM, but all the small bugs (of which I have already
    > reported a bunch), and general sluggishness is starting to detract
    > greatly from the user experience. I know I am commenting on a
    > development version, but I am talking in general about the
    > releases since 3.0 (the only releases I have tried), and seriously,
    > you need to hunker down and iron out bugs and straighten out
    > your testing practice!

I’ve been evaluating v 3.2+ and couldn’t agree more. Key features don’t work, for example I’ve never seen the debugger work (bug logged), the intellisense is patchy, refactoring has issues and again I’ve never managed to get working. Add in the general bugginess of everything else and it leaves me stunned this is by the same company that created the excellent Resharper.

I have been on the EAP recently (mainly as I found previous versions too buggy and RM kep suggesting I upgrade) so that might be part o the issue. However I do worry that there must be something wrong with your testing approach because right now RM isn’t up to the standards I would have expected.