RubyMine 3.2 released: adds Rails 3.1, CoffeeScript, YARD and more

RubyMine 3.2 update is available for download from our web site.

After we heard about Rails 3.1 changes to the project structure and all the excitement about CoffeeScript at RailsConf this year, we understood that you would not want to wait until RubyMine 4.0 is released this Fall to get these changes. Hence — RubyMine 3.2.

So, what are the major changes in this update?

• Rails 3.1 Support: ‘JavaScript library’ option on project generation, Assets ‘smart folder’ in Rails project view, Sprockets support, etc.
  • CoffeeScript — .coffee file is a fully supported file type in RubyMine now.
  • YARD support and external documentation via rubydoc.info. (Read more)
  • New Ruby/Rails code inspections, including ones inspired by “Rails code quality checklist” and new naming convention inspections.
  • Many Cucumber related enhancements. (Read more)
  • And of course fixes and performance improvements.

Read more about what’s new and download RubyMine 3.2.

If you wish, check the more detailed release notes.

There’s another change you may be interested in: reduced RubyMine upgrade subscription prices. If you were waiting for a reason to update your license — there are several now.

And the last but not least, a BIG THANKS from the whole team to all who help us with their bug reports and performance snapshots! Thank you guys!

Develop with pleasure!
-The JetBrains RubyMine Team

This entry was posted in Announcement, Cutting Edge. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to RubyMine 3.2 released: adds Rails 3.1, CoffeeScript, YARD and more

1. Pavel Vasev says:

RubyMine 3.2 is unacceptably slow on Windows in our projects.

Text (code) editor sometimes hangs for 3-4 seconds just after entering 1 character in file with just 100 lines of code.
    Machine: win64/i7-920/4Gb-ram/SSD-hdd.

We had to rollback to 3.1.

2. Oleg Shpynov says:

Please try File | Invalidate caches, and if it won’t help, could you please capture CPU snapshot and create an issue at: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issues/RUBY
    Instructions are available here: http://devnet.jetbrains.net/docs/DOC-1144

Regards,
    Oleg

3. Stefan says:

Wow coffeescript. I thought we had to wait for 4.0 for it! Ah well, awesome. Thanks guys, downloading now :)

4. Toño says:

Great work! I love RubyMine and the way that improves my productivity when I’m coding. Wonderful tool.

5. Oleg Shpynov says:

Thanks a lot guys, develop with pleasure!

6. Toño says:

Same slowness issue =( back to 3.1.1 for know. Java process uses 150% ~ 200% of my CPU (Quad Core) which means two cores at ~100%

7. Toño says:

BTW I’m on ubuntu linux

8. J. Pablo Fernández says:

I really like the new search and replace user interface, it’s so much more consistent. Thanks.

9. Ben Turner says:

Solid full use of one of my two CPUs (windows 7). Been going for 5-10 mins post loading up RubyMine 3.2.1 this morning on my little project. Back to 3.1.1 for me, I think :(

10. Pavel says:

3.2.1 is extremely slow for me, actually 3.2 too, before that 3.1 was fine.

Yes, I’ve tried – Invalidate caches

11. Pavel says:

and yeah, i am on Mac version 3.2.1

12. McNaz says:

As much as I love the new features in 3.2.1… its just too slow to be usable :(

I’ve had to revert to 3.1.1

I am on Debian 6

13. BenY says:

I love RubyMine, but I have to vent. 3.2.1 wasn’t ready to have been released.

I’m on a Mac and experiencing the same keystroke delay issue that I see Windows users are reporting above. When you’ve got a cross platform issue like that, on such a fundamentally important thing in an editor as — well — typing … well, that implies a basic quality control issue.

14. Toño says:

Is this slowness issue reported? I’m concerned about this because I don’t see any response from JetBrain’s people…

15. Oleg Shpynov says:

Hello guys,

Could you please turn off inspections under section Rails and check if it helps? File | Settings | Inspections | Rails

Regards,
    Oleg

16. McNaz says:

Thanks for the suggestion Oleg. Turning off inspections didn’t help much. The two main issues I am seeing is:

1. 10 – 15 second lag when attempting when ctrl + shift + i. The same applies when trying to navigate to implementation ctrl + mouse click or lookup documentation ctrl + shift + q

2. 10-20 second lag in certain inspections, specifically the unused variable ruby inspector. This often takes upto 20 seconds before the IDE re-runs the inspections and clears the unused flag

3. Generally, RM3.2.1 is not as smooth as RM3.1.1. I feel it is always catching up with me (I am not a fast coder) which is not the feeling I get using RM3.1.1. Personally, I cannot use RM3.2.1 for more than 10 minutes I’m sorry to say.

HTH

17. Oleg Shpynov says:

It seems that you are experiencing the following problem: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/RUBY-8878.
    We’d appreciate your CPU snapshots a lot. Instructions on capturing CPU snapshot can be found here: http://devnet.jetbrains.net/docs/DOC-1144

Regards,
    Oleg

18. ankur says:

Great job on the updates to Rubymine, I use it and love it. Question, I cannot find any instructions on how to enable the Google Chrome javascript debugging.

19. @ankur: there’s nothing special to enable. There’s an additional ‘Browser’ field that allows you to choose Chrome or Firefox now in “JavaScript Debug” run/debug configuration settings.

20. xstringer says:

Really get this lag issues solved asap!
    we are using license versions of your software and really it’s impossible for me to work with the 3.2 version.
    nearly for each 4th char I’m facing a 4-10 second lag.

I have all my plugins removed removed all inspections and so on.
    Also its impossible to turn off automatic update of dependent gems.

Do you have a QA?! How could such a broken build get out in the field.

This is disappointing!

21. xstringer: RubyMine 3.2.2 is being uploaded to our servers right at this moment. Will announce shortly. Very sorry about the inconvenience.

22. Matthew Platte says:

For approximately 30 cents US per day, RubyMine is one of the best values available in any domain: if only my coffee bill were so minimal yet so productive. Thanks, RubyMine!