RubyMine 4 Beta Update: Welcome MiniTest Support

Hello everyone,

We’re accelerating a little bit in anticipation of the release. Thanks to your feedback some bugs were caught in the previous beta update, so we decided to deliver the next one today. Please try RubyMine 4 Beta (build 113.2)

And we still have some new features for you, not only bug fixes. We are glad to announce MiniTest supported by RubyMine. Although the test framework comes bundled with Ruby 1.9.x, we suggest to use the minitest gem to stay up-to-date. Please note that you also need minitest-reporters gem to integrate with RubyMine test runner.

The full list of changes can be found in release notes.

I’ll tell you a secret, guys. Today is JetBrains Birthday! We can’t share the pie with you. So let this Beta be a small present :)

Develop with pleasure!
JetBrains RubyMine Team

This entry was posted in Announcement, Cutting Edge and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to RubyMine 4 Beta Update: Welcome MiniTest Support

1. erik says:

one suggestion, change the default typo color before the release, it’s too similar to the error one, and it seems that the code has errors, when it’s just a grammatical problem (real or for uncommon words/names). I’d suggest a medium-dark green

• Tatiana Vasilyeva says:

Erik, thanks for your note. Nevertheless, you can change it in color scheme settings for not to wait.

• erik says:

yeah, I changed it, but it’s a nice improvement to have in the default one too, as now it’s the same color, and it’s quite confusing

2. Leonid Svyatov says:

Happy Birthday! Keep going with delivering the best IDEs on the market!

3. KODer says:

Happy Birthday! Thank for realy best IDE)
    What about Jade templates support?
    May be some BackBone.js support?

4. ruby.freeman says:

Congrats!!!

5. Keep up the great work guys! Nearly our entire team of rails developers has switched from Netbeans/Aptana/Vi/Vim/Eclipse to RubyMine. A number of us have been trying out the Beta 4 (including myself) and we’re really noticing the speed gains. I’m glad you pushed out this particular update, the one previously while it wasn’t generating a bug that I could submit, was crashing in the sense of the debugging instance would just suddenly end.

Regardless, thank you very much for keeping up with the latest technologies and frameworks. I really enjoy your posts where you show off some of the more obscure tricks you can do within RubyMine.

6. I’m using MiniTest::Spec and with the help of minitest-reporters RubyMine can run these tests. However, apparently it is not possible to run/debug individual tests.

I suppose that RubyMine needs some kind of parser for each supported test framework. Is it possible for a user to write the necessary code and make RubyMine use it?

• Tyler Smart says:

I am wondering the same thing. I am using capybara with minitest and I cannot run individual tests. When I right click to run a test individually, I just get

==============================================================================
      SUITE test,test/factories,test/functional-old,test/integration,test/unit,test/unit-old,test/unit-old/helpers (SEED 1525)
      ==============================================================================
      ==============================================================================
      pass: 0, fail: 0, error: 0, skip: 0
      total: 0 tests with 0 assertions in 0.006371 seconds
      ==============================================================================

• Oleg Sukhodolsky says:

RubyMine doesn’t support MinitTest::Spec yet :(
      Here is a request for this RUBY-10777.
      Feel free to vote for it.