Experience the Full Versatility of Ruby with RubyMine 5

Hello everyone,

The weeks and days just before a major release are the definition of hectic: rapid heartbeat, fears, frustrations, hopes soaring high… But today we can finally sit down and catch our breath, because we did it! Please give a warm welcome to RubyMine 5!

As Ruby development is extremely diverse, with this release we aim to expand the boundaries and offer a full stack of development tools for more types of Ruby projects.

Read more about the release features, watch this catching demo from John Lindquist and finally download RubyMine 5!

RubyMine 5

Support of RubyMotion is surely the most prominent feature of the release. But hopefully, you will also enjoy these other features and enhancements:

• CoffeeScript debugger
  • Ruby 2.0 syntax and debugging support
  • Import of TextMate bundles
  • Running and debugging support for TorqueBox and Trinidad platforms
  • Ruby gem applications
  • Integration of remote Ruby interpreters
  • Puppet support

Besides, RubyMine 5 adds a new dark look-and-feel for the UI; improvements in the IdeaVim plugin; new features for Sass and LESS languages; and more.

You can buy or renew your RubyMine license on our website. Note that RubyMine 5 is a free update for everyone who purchased their RubyMine license after Feb 6, 2012. And as usual, a 30-day trial is available if you want to try RubyMine as your new Ruby on Rails IDE.

And last but not least…
A million thanks to all early adopters for your invaluable feedback!

Develop with pleasure!
JetBrains RubyMine Team

This entry was posted in Announcement and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Experience the Full Versatility of Ruby with RubyMine 5

1. Fabricio Quagliariello says:

I’ve just installed it.
    I love it. I am very glad to use it on a daily basis.
    You rock guys!

2. Gam says:

Installed. Looks good but scrolling performance are abysmal compared to RM 4

3. Yoosuf says:

Super excited, downloading and hope the version 4 keys will work on it :)

4. Martin says:

Is this available to IntelliJ Ultimate edition 12 as a plugin?

5. Vitaly says:

I push “Check for updates” button but nothing happens :(

6. ruby.freeman says:

Rubymine 5 with it’s dark scheme is just perfect!!
    the only thing I cannot find, is there a way to enlarge this font ?

7. Dmitry Polushkin says:

Please, get back an old icons from 4.5!

And how to prevent from sliding tabs on mouse left/right?

8. Victor Efimov says:

+1 for old icons!

9. Felix says:

Agreed. The new folder icons in particular just get lost in the background!

10. Brian Scott says:

Where is the Chef support! :)

11. Keith Lancaster says:

I must me missing something. I can use it fine if I create the project from the terminal, however creating the project from within Rubymine gives me console output saying that the app is being created, but the project directory is totally empty except for the .idea directory. Any thoughts?

• Tatiana Vasilyeva says:

Is it still an issue in RubyMine 5.0.1?

• Keith Lancaster says:

Yes, it is still apparently an issue. I am using rvm if that helps. The console output says that everything is being created, but the folder remains empty. Even weirder, I can’t seem to locate any of the supposedly generated files on disk using spotlight.

12. Den says:

Just REALLY annoying how file tree rolls up every time some file changes in background. Tried to use Redmine 4.5, now installed Redmine 5, and problem is still there.

Still using other old IDE.

• Anuki says:

Den, could you please clarify what kind of Project view you are using, whether you have a special scope? Also what type of project and on which platform do you open? Thank you.

13. Marcel says:

+1 for old icons. The new ones are terrible.

14. Jing says:

The new dark theme is cool, but the left pane is horrible. It made the same mistake that Windows 8 made, everything is just too flat to indicate where to click, especially on Nokia Lumia by the way, I got lost right after that screen showed up. Icons have meanings only when all of us agree on it, just like our languages. Now my brain needs to work harder with additional process to understand where is where, what is what. After all, this awesome tool is a TOOL, sorry to be mean to the new “look and feel”, but how I can feel if I don’t even know where to look.

15. Murat says:

I love the new version. Thank you for making such an wonderful tool. Great job!!!
    P.S. Please bring back the old icons, or so version of the them.

16. Pingback: Podcast #54 | Watir Podcast