Enjoy HTML5 excitement with PhpStorm & WebStorm

Lately we have been seeing a lot of excitement circulating on various blogs about HTML5 and it’s support in latest versions of all major browsers.

We are constantly improving our IDE to support new standards. Now you can easily enjoy HTML5 development with our new IDEs PhpStorm & WebStorm.

Let’s start with a simple example: Create a new HTML document.
Don’t forget to change DOCTYPE  to <!DOCTYPE HTML> to enable HTML5 support for that file. (WebStorm and PhpStorm 1.1 will also include new file templates for HTML5 documents )

Say, we’d like to use new <canvas> element.
Not only IDE will recognize your intention while you are typing <ca and suggest to add <canvas> but even after pressing Space it will suggest you attributes supported by this HTML5 element:

IDE also understands your code and the type of each element, so it will be able to help you with a new JavaScript API and show methods supported by the new HTML5 element:

Just press Ctrl+Space and the IDE will suggest all possible variants of autocompleting.

Using PhpStorm/WebStorm already? Follow @webide on Twitter.
We’re looking forward to your feedback, as always.

This blog is permanently closed.

This entry was posted in Cool Feature, PhpStorm, WebStorm and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Enjoy HTML5 excitement with PhpStorm & WebStorm

1. john says:

Why do I have to press ctrl+space every time I want auto completion? Is there a setting that allows the auto completion box to appear automatically upon first key press? This currently works for html, but not for css, js or php.

2. nicity says:

@john currently there is no such setting, please, vote http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/WI-341

3. weary says:

What about for code that is in an include file. As it will have no , how will know to use html5 elements?

4. weary says:

Oops, fell foul of stipping my code:

What about for code that is in an include file. As it will have no !DOCTYPE html, how will know to use html5 elements?

5. nicity says:

Right now (in WebStorm / PhpStorm 1.0) it is not possible but we will do it in nearest upgate, please file request http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/dashboard#newissue=yes

6. weary says:

Has this feature been dropped from 1.0.1? It no longer works for me.

7. nicity says:

No, it was not dropped, please file a bug http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/dashboard#newissue=yes

8. Steve says:

Is this supported in PHPStorm 1.01? I try but it seem not be supported.

9. It’s a bug in 1.0.1. We are going to fix it.

10. nicity says:

We fixed http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/WI-2551 , to appear in WebStorm / PhpStorm 1.0.2, as workaround, please use installation path without spaces inside.

11. Faisal says:

Hey, just downloaded the trial. Awesome so far, however, i am having the html5 autocomplete issue / tag coming up as an unknown tag.

I’m on osx, and the .app is in my applications folder. Any ideas how to get the workaround to work since I do believe there are no spaces in my installation path?

12. nicity says:

@Faisal By default PhpStorm / WebStorm is installed into ‘PhpStorm 1.0′ / ‘WebStorm 1.0′ <– there are spaces in installation paths

13. Faisal says:

ah! sweet. Renaming the .app from Webstorm 1.0.1.app to Webstorm.app did the trick. Awesome guys.

14. Shanimal says:

Thanks, I’m an eclipse user that would prefer a pre-refined IDE. I am really starting to enjoy this. I especially like that most of the controls are in line with Eclipse. I had to change CTRL+Y to CTRL+D.

Anyway, great tip, simple solution. I’m on my way again.

One more thing. Before my free trial expires, I’m wondering about PHPStorm. Do you have an IDE that works with more scripting languages (e.g. dotJS, JSP, Python, Perl, PHP, ASP, Ruby) I’d like to find a solution that I can learn once.

• Alexey Korsun says:

For JSP, Python, PHP, Ruby you should use IntelliJ IDEA. But by the way all our IDE’s use it as a platform. So the interface is the same for all products with little difference.

• Blake says:

Wait a sec…IntelliJ supports PHP? Is PHPStorm just a “flavor” of IntelliJ? If I purchase IntelliJ, do I get all the features of PHPStorm?

• Alexey Korsun says:

IntelliJ supports PHP but needs our plugin installed for that. The same for Ruby and Python. All plugins are free.
          The difference between PhpStorm and IntelliJ IDEA is that PhpStorm is far more lightweight – there are no unneccessary for PHP Java code comletion and code analysis functions and etc. And PhpStorm costs less :)
          So if you developing mainly using PHP + JavaScript – better use PhpStorm.
          If you are multilingual and often switch between PL’s – then use IntelliJ IDEA.

15. Is there a specific reason why (HTML5) is not supported? PhpStorm says “wrong attribute value”.

16. eugene.kudelevsky says:

@Sebastian, If you don’t have a doctype in your HTML file you have to set default HTML language level to HTML5 to enable HTML5 support in it (see Settings | Schemas and DTDs | Default HTML language level). If something doesn’t work for you, please file an issue in our tracker with detailed description of the problem and html file attached. http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/

Comments are closed.