PhpStorm & WebStorm 6.0 Early Access Program started

We are happy to announce the first public build of PhpStorm & WebStorm 6.0!

There’s a lot of changes. We started to work on core language features and later will show some love to tools and frameworks. The most visible of what’s already available today:

• PHP
    • Automatic generation of “use” clauses on class name completion
    • Change signature refactoring
    • Pull up/Push down for class members refactoring
    • Better runtime error prevention - more problems will be caught by code analyser
  • JavaScript
    • TypeScript support: coding assistance & debugging via source maps
    • Dart support is now integrated into WebStorm
  • General
    • Darcula – completely dark IDE interface option

We’ll publish a series of blog posts on these and other new features. Also, much more is coming!

As usual, bear in mind that you are getting a snapshot of work in progress and product will undergo series of technical and cosmetic changes.

• EAP users should know the drill, but since this is a major upgrade – we’ll repeat:
    BACK UP YOUR PROJECT INFO BEFORE 1st RUN
  • IDE Configs are stored in a separate folder, so all previous builds are unaffected by this one. Plus – automatic import will finally pick old ones up for you on the first run
  • 3rd party plugins may cease to work with this build – ping authors for platform 12 support, we’ll gladly help them in case of trouble

Download PhpStorm & WebStorm 6.0 EAP build 122.864 for your platform from project EAP page.

Develop with pleasure!
-JetBrains Web IDE Team

This blog is permanently closed.

This entry was posted in Early Access Preview, PhpStorm, WebStorm and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to PhpStorm & WebStorm 6.0 Early Access Program started

1. Pierlo says:

Awesome news!
    Any way to get the darcula theme on phpstorm 5?

2. Lots of major releases recently – 5.0.4 is still pretty hot and KABOOM – 6.0.0 EAP.
    I’m just curious about the story behind the jump :-)

• Alexey Gopachenko says:

Nothing special. We open EAP as soon as possible. Usually in couple months since major update. .

And we just want to release often. It’s easier since we don’t charge users per release :)

3. Yuriy Firs says:

Dark theme is cool! Thank you

4. Florin says:

First of all, Thank you! for releasing an EAP so soon, I’m an EAP junkie and I was checking the blog/EAP page for like 2 times a day waiting for this :D

Second, if anyone else thinks that PhpStorm would benefit from this: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WI-14991 please vote for it!

Thanks once again for doing such a great product!

5. Sargis says:

It would be really nice to have ANT support in WebStorm without workarounds and external tools. :)

6. Andreas says:

Oh no, i bought PHP Storm 2 Weeks ago, and now there is a new Version :-(

• Alexey Gopachenko says:

1. You should really read at least the summary on the buy page :) Every license comes with one year of free upgrades.
      2. EAP is not really a Version. Its a weekly/experimental/beta/preview of work in progress. And its free. Just dont forget to provide good feedback.

7. Andriy Bazanov says:

Hmm… Just encountered “The JVM could not be started. The maximum heap size ….” error when attempted to launch v6 EAP. Never had this before and v5 still launches just fine. Launching via bat file works fine (but leaves cmd window opened until PhpStorm is closed).

Editing PhpStorm.exe.vmoptions allowed me to launch it in usual way, but with -Xmx350m instead of default -Xmx512m

• Alexey Gopachenko says:

I really expect to have the discussion on possible reasons in other place you’re very aware of :) Please file it!

• Andriy Bazanov says:

I’ll try EAP build at work first — wanna see if there will be any difference and possible reasons (excluding the fact that v6 bundled with Java v7).

8. Alex says:

Can not start it on windows 7 x64 =(

—————————
    Error
    —————————
    The JVM could not be started. The maximum heap size (-Xmx) might be too large or an antivirus or firewall tool could block the execution.
    —————————
    OK
    —————————

9. AVEbrahimi says:

Go ahead, we are waiting for final release!

10. Uno says:

In 5.0.x editor tabs looked very nice, now they have ugly 3d look (more dark gray at the bottom) I hope that is not intended and it will be fixed in next eap’s.

11. William says:

lol looking great!!! please consider patch updates for all the EAPs with v6 :P

12. Adrian Dimitrov says:

Awesome, finally got “Show directories with changed descendants” now, I can delete the eclipse :)

13. Pierlo says:

Sorry this is my first time trying an EAP version and I’m not entirely sure I know what you mean exactly with ‘BACK UP YOUR PROJECT INFO’ – how do I go about this the safest possible way? I googled a bit without success… is there a step-by-step guide?
    Thanks!

• Alexey Gopachenko says:

“PROJECT INFO” here is the content of .idea folder, it contains all per-project settings – version control, deployment, inspections etc. It might become incompatible with previous builds (5.0) after opening with newer one. So – zip it to a safe location.

Plus, if you are not (for any of the unconvincing reasons) using the version control (properly) – zip your project too. Just in case. EAP is officially alpha quality, thus while usually its quite stable things may go wrong.

14. Stefan says:

I like the new UI Interface, but I the coloring for php files is bad.
    Looks very bumpy :(

15. Loving this, thanks for all of the regular updates. I know that I always have something to look forward to when I visit jetbrains.com

16. Very exciting. I mentioned in my recent blog entry (http://adoseofjavascript.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/the-tools-of-my-trade/) how impressed I am with your release schedules and the overall quality of WebStorm so news like this shouldn’t surprise me but it did and I’m even more impressed now than I was prior. Question: Can I run install these early access releases side by side with my licensed version? I’d really not want to screw that perfect environment up as it is my bread and butter tool :)

Jeff

17. Great, I look forward to this version is available in stable :)

18. Tanc says:

Brilliant new UI. Darcula mixed with my own theme for the code is just perfect. Thank you for saving my eyes.

19. Matthew says:

I am finding that PhpStorm is using more and more memory on my MacBook Pro. A project in 4.0 for example is sitting around 400Mb Real Mem after a few minutes of usage, the same project in 5.0 is sitting around 550Mb and in the 6.0 EAP is sitting at 1.07GB Real Mem.

I have php code sniffer turned on in 5.0 so that could explain the jump between 4 and 5 slightly, but I just wanted to express concern over this trend as one of the draw-cards to PhpStorm was how lightweight it was in terms of resource usage.

• Alexey Gopachenko says:

Well.. The JVM is locked to same fixed amount of RAM for all versions, so in the long run usage will be just the same.

But this is a first EAP. In current stage of development we are focused on putting new stuf in. We keep performance at the sane levels, but main work on it is done after feature freeze and in minor updates (x.0.x).

If you want us to fix something in particular – submit a detailed report to the tracker.

20. Leonid Svyatov says:

Desperately need Darcula in RubyMine! Is it planned?

21. kris says:

I am happy to see a progress phpstorm team behind phpstorm.

a little doubt with PHPstorm ?

1. When I run sublime text 2 I can type and type and tab and it’s type my code faster then what I write in phpstorm. phpstorm write slow and I got no speed of what I am writing.

phpstorm genrate code better and make me fast coder but can someone can let me know how they work fast.

When my code relies on html5BP then he is playing slow from starting to end.

22. Tobias Hoffmann says:

This one is huge! Love the new colors and refactorings. Great work!

23. Alex says:

Aren’t you going to include support of html template languages?

For example EJS (http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WI-7910) or some generic solution?

24. Radek Skrabal says:

Still no support for Stylus markdown? It’s been requested by many people like a year ago. I’m really, really disappointed…

25. Mark says:

I switched to the Darcula scheme but my project tree is still light…how do I make it dark?

Also it appears you’ve missed restyling a few icons, such as Resource Root (purple folder) and PHP files.

• That happened to me also. I believe that you we’re trying to change editor color scheme, not the IDE scheme. There is new setting for that now in first section of IDE settings named Appearance.

26. Pingback: PhpStorm – un délice d’IDE « Carnet de travail autour de l'informatique et de l'information

27. Chee Meng says:

Seems that the elseif issue is still unsolved though… many duplicates of this issue, since version 2.0? One sample report that is still open http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WI-6175

Hope this gets looked into :)

28. Charlie says:

The new UI looks good :)

29. Gepard says:

Will 6.0 get simple Project management? Even smaller Editors have a way to collect projects in a list or project management window.

30. Oleg says:

It would be nice if at least in next version we will get revisited menus in phpstorm.

I always get mixed with searching for correct place for menu -> they always are on wrong location.

31. Pingback: TypeScript & PhpStorm or WebStorm

32. Danko says:

New PhpStorm Icons ugly as hell (EAP-124.373) Please give us your “classic” icons back! :|

33. dkf_genius says:

I am using IntelliJ V12 with Darcula theme. And I have installed a PHP plugin to support my development in PHP.
    But comparing PHP development to Java development, the TABs background color seems inconsistent as Java, which is white instead of dark. I wonder is this a bug of PHP plugin or IntelliJ IDE?

34. Dorthe says:

Will there be a light theme shipped with phpstorm 6? I don’t like it at all – well, I don’t like dark software themes at all – they look stylish at first glance, but are not as user-friendly to use as light themes – for me at least ;-)

• Alexey Gopachenko says:

Yes, the default theme is there.

• mishavantol says:

Is it also possible to switch the iconset? I personally can’t see the difference between files, folders etc. in a glance anymore. And there a bit… ehm ugly (imho).

35. jitendra vyas says:

What is better in PHPstorm then Sublime Text 2 for php development?

36. Felix Wessendorf says:

I would also like to express my displeasure on the new icon design. If I could at least manually change the icon set – that would be great :)

Comments are closed.