Please welcome WebStorm 8.0!.
This major update adds support for some of the most trending web technologies and brings new tools to improve your development experience.

WS8_banner

Highlights in WebStorm 8.0 include:

• Advanced AngularJS support. WebStorm now provides smart AngularJS specific code completion, refactoring, navigation and quick access to documentation.
  • Spy-js, a JavaScript tracing tool. Spy-js makes tracing and profiling JavaScript easy in any browser.
  • Multiple cursors and selections will help you edit your code faster, especially if you are used to this feature in other editors.
  • Integration with Grunt, a JavaScript task runner and Bower, a package manager for the web.

Other important updates included in WebStorm 8.0 are:

• New Live Console in JavaScript and Node.js debugger.
  • Support for CucumberJS test framework.
  • Improvements in the support of JavaScript modules: RequireJS, AMD and EcmaScript 6 Harmony modules.
  • Up-to-date support for LESS 1.7, improved performance for JavaScript and TypeScript, and much more.

Read more about what’s new in WebStorm 8.0 and download the IDE for your platform.

WebStorm 8.0 is a free update for everyone who purchased their license after March 26, 2013.

Develop with pleasure!
JetBrains WebStorm Team

About Ekaterina Prigara

Ekaterina Prigara is WebStorm product marketing manager at JetBrains. She's passionate about new technologies, UX and coffee.
This entry was posted in Release Announcements. Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Welcome WebStorm 8.0: AngularJS support, spy-js, multiple selections, Grunt and more

1. Nice!

What hapened with the Yeoman support? Wasn’t that planned for this version?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

We wasn’t able to finish yo support for this update. Hope to add it in the nearest future.

• Addy Osmani says:

Hey Ekaterina. I lead engineering on the Yeoman team. If there’s anything at all WebStorm need help with in terms of improving our APIs or just general questions about integration, please feel free to holler :)

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Hey Addy, nice to hear from you :) We’ve already started working on integrating yo, but it’s still work in progress. Sure, we’ll let you know if there is any question. Thanks!

2. Doster says:

Great! The best IDE for web development out there! Keep up all the hard work!

3. Andi says:

awesome update! i just got a few questions:
    -) is gulp implementation planned too? i guess including grunt was easier, because it´s basically parsing a configuration file. and grunt is more famous (right now), i guess.
    -) when will phpstorm 8 be released, and will it come with all features of webstorm 8?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

We might consider adding Gulp support in the next major release, haven’t developer a roadmap yet.
      Most of the new features are already available in PhpStorm 8 EAP. You should find the latest updates about EAP in PhpStorm blog.

4. Daniel says:

Why isn’t there a good database plugin available for webstorm. I have a feeling that they’re artificially limiting the plugin because it’s perceived as “not being a necessary part of the stack for a web app.

• Dmitry says:

Agree. WebStorm have Node.js support and database plugin would be useful.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

To tell the truth, you are right: we have database support in our other products like PhpStorm and we don’t want to overcomplicate WebStorm by adding this plugin that is, we believe, not that much demanded by our users right now.

• Daniel says:

But there are many other plugins available and I’m wondering why it’s not even available optionally. I mean are node developers discouraged to touch sql? Either way I love the ide, but please consider making that plugin compatible, because you have everything else lol.

5. Dmitry says:

Shame that Stylus looks abandoned, but it’s great release nevertheless, especially Spy-js, multiple cursors and better AngularJS support.

6. phil says:

Are these features available in IntelliJ 13.1 ?

7. Ricardo Amaral says:

So, Grunt support is built-in and we can easily run our tasks directly from the Grunt window. Awesome.

But how can we debug our JavaScript code when launching a webserver with Grunt? I have generated a webpage with Yeoman and I’m using the default Gruntfile.js with the connect tasks for the development webserver. How can I debug my code within WebStorm like this?

I’ve added a run configuration with Node.js (http://stackoverflow.com/a/17452803/40480) but when I use the ‘debug’ icon instead of the ‘run’ icon, my Grunt ‘serve’ task hangs on one of the other tasks and the server is not launched. So I can’t debug :(

• Ricardo Amaral says:

I just found out the cause for the task hanging. I’m using grunt-concurrent (to run some of the tasks in parallel: https://github.com/sindresorhus/grunt-concurrent) and that’s the thing that hangs the node interpreter when running directly from WebStorm.

However, I’ve removed the concurrent stuff from my Gruntfile.js and the debugger does not work. Breaking points on my JS code doesn’t do anything. What am I doing wrong?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

That issue on stackoverflow that you link to is not anyhow related to debugging your JavaScript code.

What you want to to is to debug your client-side JS code, right?

In this case I would suggest you 2 options:
        a. start your Node.js app with Grunt on dev server and then use WebStorm’s JavaScript debug configuration there you should specify the URL of your running app; or
        b. delete task that runs server from Grunt, run your app with WebStorm’s Node.js run configuration and debug it with JavaScript debug configuration (can create it at the same time with Node.js conf).

If you actually want to debug your Node.js code:
        a. start it with Grunt and use Node.js Remote debug configuration; or
        b. delete Grunt task that starts server and use WebStorm’s Node.js debug configuration.

8. Tuan says:

Hi,
    Will these features be available in PhpStorm 8 too?

Thanks

9. phil says:

Sweet, i got the Angular features working in IntelliJ by clearing my settings and doing a fresh install. How about an option to change the syntax colour of angular specific html attributes?

10. Pingback: PhpStorm 8 EAP 136.1382 | JetBrains PhpStorm Blog

11. Jared says:

gulp (isnt grunt dead yet?)… come on jetbrains!!

12. Ben says:

Great, currently enjoying the new update.

It would be nice though, if a new feature could make it possible to more easily open each project. I tend to go back and forth between 2 or 3 projects on a regular basis and it’s troublesome having to go through File->Open each time.

I’m currently on Windows and have Webstorm 8 pinned on my start menu. I’ve noticed that with the other programs I’ve pinned there (ex. Paint, Wordpad) that an arrow appears on the right of the pinned program shortcut that lists all the ‘recently opened items’.

(look at number 3. the right arrow, ‘Jump List’, which shows recently opened items)

Anyway, I’m really enjoying the latest update.
    AngularJS support is just great.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

There are several things that might help you:
      1. In the File menu you can get access to the list of all your recent projects if you click on Reopen project.
      2. If you pin WebStorm to the Windows taskbar, when you right-click on its icon, you’ll see the list of all recent projects that you can open in one click.

• Ben says:

Thanks, that helps a bunch. Didn’t know that pinning to the Windows taskbar could bring me a list of recent projects; I’ll be going down that route for now.

It would be great if the Windows Start Menu pin could have the same though (perhaps through a future minor update).

Thanks!

13. Hui says:

Hi, Can you give more dojo AMD configure example with webstorm8?

14. Nick Kaye says:

Wow! I just updated IntelliJ and super sweet “Grunt” task runner console panel appeared. Is this a new feature?

15. WildCat says:

Hi, I am wondering if there is still a green icon before the file names in “project” views rather than a js icon in WebStorm 8.

16. Pedro Selas says:

I’m thinking that should be helpful a feature for passing parameters to grunt tasks.

17. Andrew Saint says:

Any chance you could add Gulp support too?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Yes, it’s in our development roadmap for WebStorm 9. We are about to start Early access program quite soon, follow the updates in the blog or on twitter https://twitter.com/webstormide if you’d like to try Gulp integration before the official release of WebStorm 9.