YouTrack Pricing

We have finally come up with a pricing policy for YouTrack. To make long story short, we’ve got two editions, and we’re giving them away at 50% discount.

Enterprise Edition provides essentially everything that YouTrack is capable of, with no limitations whatsoever. Its regular price tag is set at $1200 but we’ve got an introductory offer for you: by ordering YouTrack Enterprise Edition before New Year, you receive it at a price that is twice less than it’s worth. In other words, you’re getting a keyboard-centric, full-featured, fast-flying, AJAX-based, state-of-the-art bug and issue tracking system at as low as $600!

Now what if you’re a small to medium team? There’s an alternative offer for you: Professional Edition. It’s restricted to 10 projects and 20 user accounts, and doesn’t support LDAP authentication. However, how can you resist buying a keyboard-centric… (see above for other superlatives)… bug and issue tracker for only $150? Hurry up though: it will cost $300 after New Year.

Before you make a decision, you’ll be able to evaluate YouTrack for an entire 2 months. Whichever edition you choose, you will receive 1 year of free technical support and upgrades (meaning that you will most likely upgrade to our next major version without paying a buck). Any subsequent updates will be paid again.

This entry was posted in news and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to YouTrack Pricing

1. t800t8 says:

Nice to know the pricing for You Track. Even You Track have some nice features, but if I need to pay $150 for Professional Edition, I will choose JIRA Starter edition (http://www.atlassian.com/starter/), it’s only 10$ and only there is a limit about the number of users (10 is too much for me).

Just my 2 cents.

2. Jura Gorohovsky says:

t800t8,

What can I say?
    We’re not forcing anyone :)

3. Pingback: Twitter Trackbacks for YouTrack Beta » Blog Archive » YouTrack Pricing [jetbrains.com] on Topsy.com

4. Craig says:

t800t8, I am a bit disappointed too, was hoping for a personal edition of some sort. I work on a lot of projects, some open source, but mostly for myself (nothing commercial) and I really enjoyed using Charisma.

I grabbed the YouTrack discount code just in case, but I have a feeling I will be going for the $10 JIRA (I already have the personal license for Confluence (which I will upgrade to starter edition)).

Either way, I hope JetBrains makes a killing on this, its an amazing product. (Plus if they make enough, maybe we can get a personal/starter edition for version 2?)

5. Craig says:

An amendment to my prior statements — I really don’t want to use JIRA (much prefer YouTrack).

Also I will still be bringing this up at my company hoping to at least pilot using it. My hopes for the personal/starter edition are for my own use.

6. t800t8 says:

Jura,

Yes, you can’t force anyone, but the limitation of Professional edition forces me. Actually I expected that YouTrack only limits by the number of users.

7. Jura Gorohovsky says:

t800t8,

Ok, what you’re telling above is that 10 users is too much for you.
    Is 20 projects too few?

8. Craig St. Jean says:

Jura,
    JIRA starter edition has an unlimited number of projects, but a max of 10 users (see http://www.atlassian.com/starter/faq.jsp#what and http://www.atlassian.com/starter/faq.jsp#jira-edition). I’m not sure if they check hostname to validate the 10 users are actually the only 10 users, or if they only allow 1 login per user at one time (so 2 people couldn’t be logged in under an account named ‘developer’ for example), but a model like that (even if it were only 5 users) would be great.

9. t800t8 says:

Jura,

Yes, 20 projects is too few. Time after time, I will have more projects, even some of them are dead or legacy but they should be there, it’s just for history.

I think it’s better if you charge the license per number of user, and maybe the number of active projects. Let’s say I can have unlimit projects but only 20 of them can be active. But it’s much better if you can have a free edition for personal use or very small group (maybe 3-5 people)

10. Silviu says:

Let me start by saying that I prefer YouTrack to any other issue tracker system I have tried up to now.

For me, a professional license of 20 active projects & 10 users will make more sense and actually will be enough in my present setup.

However, as t800t8 says, I have too, the same concerns that in time the number of projects might build up over 20. What I would also like is to be able to set-up as read-only or archive old/inactive/abandoned projects (just for reference) – archived projects should not count against the active projects.

P.S. Just as an idea. Why not to make the professional license more flexible? Something like: let the limit be 30 = number of active projects + number of active users (where the licensee can choose: eg. 10 projects + 20 users, or 20 projects + 10 users, or 25 projects + 5 users, etc.).

11. Jura Gorohovsky says:

You gotta be kidding.
    We at JetBrains have 22 projects overall hosted at YouTrack. One of them is a sandbox to play and test the tracker, another five contain less than 10 issues each, and IntelliJ IDEA is being tracked using 3 projects only because it had been easier back in JIRA days.
    So I’m really not getting your point at all.
    Additionally, you have tags, subsystems and all kinds of things to draw fine lines between entities tracked.

12. Jura Gorohovsky says:

Silviu,

We’re actually talking about 10 projects, 20 users (my mistype in a comment above).
    Archiving projects (as opposed to whole database) is a valid option, you can vote for the corresponding issue.

Your reasonable suggestion on license flexibility goes to a backlog for the future, thanks :) I really don’t see any possibility to change anything concerning version 1.0. After that, we could reassess things including license efficiency. It’s not like we haven’t assessed anytning prior to announcing, it’s just that everybody have different opinions.

Once we get our hands on hosted solutions, we could provide more attractive terms to individual users.

13. t800t8 says:

LOL, your case is not my case, and is not other’s case.

14. Jura Gorohovsky says:

Fine with me, we’re all different.
    Why don’t you buy yourself a JIRA then?

15. Vaclav Slovacek says:

Jura, I think it really depends on how developers organize projects. They may use YouTrack just for tracking very small experimental projects to use the same tools as they use for their main projects. I think limiting user count only would be much more acceptable for most developers. Kind of personal license (lets say at most 3-5 devs) would be good to let starters learn something about issue management.
    Except for the projects limit the pricing is reasonable.

16. David says:

I think a 20/20 split would be nice … we have 12 developers and will be moving to 15 (so user number we’re fine)… but, we have a lot of small modules (like around 20-30) that we work on for the 1 big system … the 10 project limit may prove to be a minor issue. (I consider each module a project in this case)

But of course, you can’t make everybody happy …. just my nickel’s worth. ;-)

17. David says:

After further consideration, I think you have perfect point Jura … using tags will allow me to keep the modules seperate and “clean” (can we get a “Tag” view ;-) … so, 10 projects is probably perfect. Woot!

18. Christopher A. Petro says:

I think the pricing makes sense and the users and project limits for the Professional version are just about right–for commercial use. For a small team it would be perfect, and when compared to the price of all of the other software needed to get a team going, $300 is not unreasonable.

It would be nice to use this at home for my side projects, however, where there are usually 2-5 users and about the same number of projects. I’m presently using one of the Jira starter licenses for that purpose. I can understand if JetBrains doesn’t want to get into that sort of low-margin business, however. It’s hard to make money providing support for tens of thousands of $10 licenses. Maybe a free edition without any support and with only a handful of users allowed?

19. John Simons says:

Is there going to be a license for OSS projects?
    The same way TeamCity works.

Also does it integrate with TeamCity?

20. Jura Gorohovsky says:

@John Simons
    1. No OSS license planned at this time due to database licensing restrictions.
    2. Yes it does integrate with TeamCity. See TeamCity Integration Guide for details.

21. Jura Gorohovsky says:

@Christopher A. Petro
    For version 1.0, we’re not providing a personal edition. However, we might consider a personal edition by the time we’re offering YouTrack as a hosted solution, which should happen next year.