YouTrack Pricing Model Changes

When YouTrack 4.0 was released, we announced that we would make changes to our pricing model starting in early 2013. The changes were planned to affect Agile board only, making it a paid option. However, after we analyzed our statistics and your feedback, we decided to go further.

Why change the pricing model?

1. In 2012 we received a number of complains about the InCloud pricing model, saying it was complicated and had too many options. Many of our customers had trouble understanding the differences between Reporters and Users, or the differences between Private and Public projects. Our statistics showed that only 10% of our customers used Reporter accounts actively.

2. We realized that making the Agile board a paid option would make the choice even trickier. Meanwhile the Agile board appeared to be used by more than 80% of our customers, which easily proved its popularity.

3. There was some inconsistency between the Stand-alone packs and the InCloud plans: there were no reporters or private projects in Stand-Alone packs, while the Free plan/pack had different numbers of users.

4. We received many requests from our large customers interested in additional services, such as assistance in customization and configuration, and special support.

Considering all of these reasons, we decided to make the following changes to our pricing model effective from January 23, 2013:

Changes in InCloud Plans

1. Free plan is now extended to 10 users and unlimited number of issues.

2. Agile board is now included in all plans by default.

3. No more Reporter Accounts. Any active user account is counted against the plan limitation now.

4. Since you’re getting no additional Reporter accounts, we’ve reduced the prices for all plans up to 100 users. See the Pricing for more details.

Notice for existing customers:

1. Free plan customers: your current plan will be extended to the new parameters automatically by the end of January 2013.

2. Commercial customers: no changes will be made to your current plan, and you can use your current plan for as long as you want. You will need to choose a new plan only if you would like to upgrade your plan.

Changes in Stand-Alone Packs

1. Agile board is now included in all packs by default.

2. We’ve raised the prices for all packs, instead of making Agile board a paid option. Check the Pricing for more details.

3. We’ve introduced a new 500-user pack.

4. New Enterprise Pack with unlimited users and additional services, with customization, configuration, special support and more. Check details here.

Notice for existing customers: These changes will affect you only when you extend your upgrade subscription or upgrade your user-pack.

Please visit the YouTrack Pricing page for more details. We hope that now you’ll have an easier time choosing the pack or plan that’s right for you!

This entry was posted in news and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to YouTrack Pricing Model Changes

1. Eugene says:

Currently we have 50 users and 131 reporters for $200 per month.
    By new prices we should choose plan for $500 per month.
    “Thank you” for this pricing change…

2. Valerie Andrianova says:

Notice for the existing customers:
    2. Commercial customers: no changes will be made to your current plan, you can use your current plan as long as you want.
    Eugene, will it work for you?

3. Perera says:

I too share Eugene’s concerns. We use the Reporter feature a lot, as a small development team supports a large set of external Reporters who reports issues.

The issue for an existing customer is that we planned to move to the immidiate next tier as we grew. So although #2 above applies, it will be a short time until the cost skyrockets. For us, we use the 10U/50R package, and now the next tier of 100U will cost us 30 times of what applies now :(

The new pricing seems quite expensive especially for smaller companies, maybe you could reconsider this aspect.

• Valerie Andrianova says:

We understand your point, that’s why we decided to keep your current plans. We’ll think about the upgrade price, thanks for your feedback!

4. Vladimir says:

What is the point of limiting the number of users for a free account if it is not includes private projects? This is very nice for open source projects and for promotion of YouTrack, but limited users??? C’mon…. It’s like GitHub with limited number of forks :)

5. Valerie Andrianova says:

We do offer a separate free plan with up to 2000 users and public projects to OS projects, while the Free Plan is intended to be used by small teams with public projects. The first commercial plan for 15 users with private projects starts from $20/month.

6. Steve Baer says:

Wow. I just spent the last three weeks setting up migration scripts and testing things for migrating from our own custom bugtrack system to youtrack this morning. One of the key features that helped us decide to use youtrack was the reporter system since we wanted to get our users more involved in our software development process. Looks like I’ll be spending the morning in meetings to try and decide if we should stop the switch to youtrack with this new pricing model.
    -Steve

• Valerie Andrianova says:

Steve, thanks for your feedback, please take our apologies, we understand that these changes might seem pretty unexpected. May I ask you, how many users and reporters you need?

• Steve Baer says:

We wouldn’t know how many yet, though we do know that we have several hundred thousand users (of course only a small percentage would participate in the issue tracking process.) We were hoping to use the email integration feature which created reporter accounts and have custom “report on this” type features in our software using the REST API with the thought that we would continue to up our in-cloud account level until we hit a point where it made more sense to just install the unlimited user standalone version of youtrack (which I believe has increased from $3000 to $12,000.)

Our hope was to get out of the business of maintaining our own custom bugtracker that we’ve written over the last 15 years and focus on writing the software that our users paid for. I would expect small changes in pricing for products like youtrack over the years due to things like inflation, but dramatic restructuring like this makes me feel that we should just abandon this venture and refocus on tuning up our current system. This really is a hard decision because we were very happy with our initial tests of youtrack (and it is hard to drop a months worth of work down the toilet), but I’m not sure if your new pricing model is well set up for what we want to achieve.
        -Steve

• EugeneOZ says:

“and it is hard to drop a months worth of work down the toilet”

I understand you so much.. I was primary evangelist of YouTrack in our company. Now I look like an idiot.

7. Valerie Andrianova says:

Thank you, Steve, we understand your point. Having thousands of users & reporters is a pretty big YouTrack installation, which definitely cannot be served by the small-medium hosted plan. If you have found something similar on the market, that can provide you with the hosted solution for thousands of users and decent performance that costs much cheaper, we understand your choice.

• Steve Baer says:

Hi Valerie,
      That’s not exactly the point. I think my last comment was not properly worded and I apologize.

The pricing is not really the issue and I’m not threatening to jump to a different product. The fact is that the other hosted solutions also don’t have the reporter concept which is one of the driving reasons why we chose to go with youtrack.

The issue is that a feature we really wanted to explore is completely gone now. We are willing to upgrade our account to larger numbers of users over time and were figuring that if this “social bugtracking” concept were going to work that we would pretty quickly hit the 2000 user + 20,000 reporter account. That option is no longer available which means we are pretty limited on exploring the idea in hosted youtrack. Yes, we could switch to the unlimited stand alone version, but we really would much rather have a hosted system so we don’t have to be involved in administration / maintenance. The stand alone version is always going to take some portion of time from one of our developers each year which is time we would rather spend writing our software.

We just finished chatting about this and are still going to go forward with migrating to youtrack since it does still does offer a lot of advantages over our current system. It is a big let down that we can’t really do a whole lot of exploring the concept of using youtrack as a “social bugtracker” for our users, but we’ll just have to rethink how we could do that in the future.
      -Steve

8. Valerie Andrianova says:

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the details, now I understand your position even better. The idea of social tracker hasn’t been really changed, you can still create reporters inside YouTrack (it’s just a role). And if you are planning to have more than 2000 users, it’s a big installation that needs special support and administration (I can tell that based on our own experience, we have around 50 000 users in our YouTrack). Оf course, it’s not a problem, we can offer a custom solution for you, means we’ll host a separate YouTrack server for you and will take care about administration and maintenance. Please contact us at youtrack-incloud-support@jetbrains.com and we’ll discuss the details. I’m sure that we’ll find a proper solution for you.
    Regards,

• Steve Baer says:

Thanks Valerie. That’s great news. In reality we probably won’t be making our youtrack “social” for at least several months as we internally are going to have to go through a learning period. It is good to know that this option is still available if/when we get to that point.
      -Steve

9. Russell says:

Unfortunately, number 2 in the post doesn’t help my situation. I started a 30-day trial of YouTrack a few weeks ago, since my team has been tracking issues in a shared Google Doc, which is less then ideal and I thought I could just pay the $10 a month fee on my own to help the team. I thought the reporter account feature would be perfect for my situation, since I would need about 9 user accounts and 20 reporter accounts. We’ve been really enjoying the product during the trial, so I was going to sign up yesterday for an annual account. You can imagine how surprised I was when I discovered that what I thought was going to be a $10 a month expenditure turned into a $150 a month one…an increase of 1400%! I feel like I’ve wasted many hours of my time trying a product that is no longer really an option.

I wish JetBrains would have changed pricing after some notice so that folks trying out the product wouldn’t face a situation where we signed up for the trial expecting one set of pricing, only to want to sign up for a paid account to find the cost dramatically changed. I know this wasn’t intentional, but it feels like a classic bait-and-switch right now.

• T Park says:

I’m in the same boat… I was about to register and start paying the $10 per month, then as I came here today to register, I became very disappointed to find these pricing & user consolidation changes changes. I signed up for the free account over a month ago and was planning on switching to the $10 a month plan.

Now I can’t because of the ‘reporters’ and ‘users’ accounts are consolidated. So now to have everyone as a reporter.

Previously I only had TWO reporters, and I just wanted 50-75 people to be able to log in *occasionally* just to SEE the issues created by reporters.

So before it would have been $10 a month, now it will be $300 a month (because now I have to get the 100 users plan) ?!?!? 30x increase??

• Valerie Andrianova says:

I would advise you to enable guest account, which allows your 50-75 people log in occasionally to see the issues reported, and still have your two users, who actually report issues.

• T Park says:

Will guest account be open to the internet? I want to keep it private on my network only, or require a login for guest account. Is this possible?

Also, because I signed up for the trial back when it said it was $10 a month, will they still honor this price to me?

• Valerie Andrianova says:

Yes, guest account gives an anonymous access to your instance. So, if you want to keep your data private and require log in for each user, you need to create a separate user account for each one. Unfortunately, we cannot provide you with the subscription for the old plan, we only keep it for the existing customers, but I’m sure we can find the solution for you, please contact us at youtrack-incloud-support@jetbrains.com and we’ll discuss the details.

10. Valerie Andrianova says:

Russell,
    Please take our apologies for misleading you. In your case, you almost fit into the 25 users plan, plus you can always make your extra user accounts inactive. Please contact us at youtrack-incloud-support@jetbrains.com and we’ll find a solution for you. Of course, if you find similar solution with more attractive pricing model, we’ll definitely understand your choice.

11. Jerry Hoffmeister says:

Wow – this is a significant price increase. We have an unlimited standalone instance and the yearly maintenance fee has increased from 1400 to 8400 – a 6x increase. How do you justify that? I’m sure I’m going to have a hard time getting that past finance. Even if we drop back to the new 500 user plan (which would be sufficient for us at least for now – we have 225 users) it’s still nearly a 2x price increase. Incremental increases are expected but this isn’t an incremental price increase.

• Olga Kosyreva says:

Hi Jerry,
      I totally understand your concerns. However, pricing changes were supposed to simplify the pricing model. We wanted to avoid adding chargeable options like agile board. I hope you still enjoy new agile YouTrack. Sorry, that it was too unexpected for you. Please, contact me for further questions.

12. Paul says:

Wow. Big disappointment on our end. I was about to promote YouTrack in our company and found out the reporter account problem. Basically this is a no-go on our side. Sorry about my time spent on evaluating YouTrack.

It still reads “Your team is 10 or less people? Use YouTrack free! ” on the product page which is misleading.

• Valerie Andrianova says:

@Paul, thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it. It’s been almost a year since we changed our licensing model, so it’s quite surprising to expect reporter accounts. May I ask you for some details about your case? How many users and reporters do you need?
      Thanks in advance! By the way, you are welcome to use YouTrack absolutely free for up to 10 users.