Updated YouTrack 5.0 EAP: Awesome Agile Available

Please welcome new YouTrack 5.0 EAP build with an enhanced Agile board, a new Wiki and Screenshot tool, and a number of bug fixes.

Agile board enhancements

We are happy and thrilled to introduce our new awesome Agile. Many significant Agile board improvements are waiting to be enjoyed. Please take them for a spin and get the most out of your new Agile project tracking.

For example, you can set Attributes as Swimlanes. YouTrack now supports swimlanes based on Attributes or on Issues. To try out new swimlanes, choose Attributes to identify swimlane in Agile settings:

Swimlanes based on Attributes

More goodies: Now you can define the board for multiple projects and even narrow down the issues to be shown on the board by specifying a search query:

Creating new Agile board

In essence, now you can create almost any Agile board you want.

Get ready to be amazed once more: welcome multiple boards. Now you have so much flexibility in creating your Agile board that it’s hard to resist and configure only one. Go ahead then, create and keep multiple boards. Click the Create button and choose Agile to create a new Agile board:

Creating new Agile board

Now you can really track your projects in multiple ways. Please note that you can of course delete Agile boards as well in Agile settings.

And for dessert, get a load of entirely new backlog management. From now on the backlog is represented as a tree with multiple levels. Even subtasks of subtasks can be dragged now to the board directly from the backlog:

Backlog Management

This means you can use Epics in your work, manage the backlog in a totally new way and spend more time on the Agile board, without switching to the Issues list.

Yes, this is how awesome Agile can be now with the latest YouTrack Agile goodies.

Wiki Markup

In other enhancements, welcome a new wiki for visual descriptions and comments:

• Insert HTML tags
  • Highlight YouTrack users by typing @ before username
  • Distinguish long paragraphs with new list formatting
  • Find more available options in wiki help

Screenshot Tool
Enter new Screenshot tool. A completely new look and feel:

Screenshot Tool Design

There’s new functionality as well:

• Comments: Now you can add comments just in the screenshot itself
  • New highlight tool
  • Lines and straight lines: By holding CTRL you can easily draw straight lines:

New Screenshot

Share your ideas by taking descriptive screenshots.

So, to try out all the new features, download the freshest YouTrack 5.0 build from the Early Access Program.

If you use YouTrack InCloud, check out all the newest features in one of currently available languages. Please report issues with you comments directly in these instances. We’ve created YouTrack 5.0 InCloud EAP instances specifically to gather your feedback:

Just create an issue there to tell us what you think.

Also, we will appreciate any and all feedback via these channels:

We’re working hard to make YouTrack 5.0 even better with your help.

Keep calm and track softly with this new EAP for YouTrack 5.0, codenamed ‘Gentle’
YouTrack Team

This entry was posted in features, news, release and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Updated YouTrack 5.0 EAP: Awesome Agile Available

1. Dennis says:

The “YouTrack 5.0 EAP in German” website doesn’t work!

2. Dan says:

What’s the best way to use the screenshot tool on Mac? In latest version of Mac OS at least Chrome really, really doesn’t want to run Java applets. (Links to a Google help doc that says you have to downgrade Java? or something?). Or are some browsers better than others? I tried Safari too without much luck.

• Olga Kosyreva says:

Hi Dan,
      You are right there is a known issue with Chrome and latest Java versions. We are investigating the problem. Please check the freshest EAP build. Screenshot tool should work fine in Safari and Mozilla Firefox.
      Thanks.
      Best regards,

• Dan says:

Doesn’t work for me in Safari or Firefox either, I guess plugin isn’t installed? YouTrack in all three browsers says “Java 1.5 appears not be installed.” But I think Mac OS upgrade (to 10.8.4) uninstalled it for security reasons. The link from YouTrack when I click “Install” takes me basically to Oracle’s homepage which is not too helpful. I’m sure I could figure it out but maybe you guys want to put some instructions out there, there must be other Mac users like me.

Looking forward to the new version, custom boards seem cool and I’m glad you put some work into the agile backlog. But I still think there are some other areas of the agile board that similarly need a little more parity to seem as completely finished as the traditional side; the issue popup in particular (when you double click an issue). I logged a bunch of issues.

One more thing, I noticed a new feature to show/hide columns in the agile board? This is new right, up to now you could only do it through the settings panel right above it, but that affected all users, whereas this affects only myself?

• Dan says:

Oh to clarify, I tested all three browsers in the cloud EAP so if you’ve made some changes in the latest downloadable build, I didn’t test.

• Olga Kosyreva says:

Dan,

Could you please check your Java preferences:
          Open Applications > Utilities > Java Preferences.
          In General settings select the ‘Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications’ check box.
          Restart your browser.
          If the screenshot applet does not start still, please contact our support team.

Thanks

• Olga Kosyreva says:

Please feel free to vote for related issue.

Speaking of a new feature in Agile board, you are right. New visibility settings are per user. While general Agile board settings affect all users.

3. Ian Restil says:

In “And for desert, get a load of entirely new backlog management.” Did you mean dessert, or does the entirely new backlog management clean everything, making it a desert? ;-)

• Olga Kosyreva says:

Thanks for the notice. Hopefully, new Backlog management will be met as a delicious dessert. ;-)
      The post was updated.

4. Mr. Pickles says:

Trying to use the Screenshot app, I get the same “Java 1.5 appears not be installed.” in the latest FireFox (23+), on a Windows 7 Pro machine.

I uninstalled all Java’s. Got the latest Java from the link. Installed and opened the browser. Went to YouTrack, tried the Screenshot app. It asked if I wanted to Block or Not Block. I chose Not Block. It loaded the screenshot app. Cool.

Nope. When I closed the screenshot app and opened it again, it paused on the “loading” and then said “Java 1.5 appears not be installed.”

Ideas?

• Mr. Pickles says:

As a follow-up to my earlier statement, if you click on the “screenshot” app button, it asks if I want to Block or Not. I chose Not. If I do NOT leave that issue, it will NOT work again, instead issuing the “Java 1.5 appears not be installed.”

If You do the Dont Block, then need it again, just leave the issue and come back. It will then ask to “Block or Not” again and will work ONCE again.

It still STINKS, but a yucky workaround….