Fresh .NET Tools from JetBrains for Code Coverage and Performance Profiling
The creators of the most intelligent extension for Microsoft Visual Studio launch a new .NET code coverage tool and a highly-anticipated upgrade for .NET profiler
September 14, 2010
Prague, Czech Republic, September 14, 2010 — JetBrains®, creators of intelligent, productivity-enhancing development tools, announced today a joint release of dotCover, a brand new code coverage tool for .NET developers, and dotTrace 4 Performance, a totally reworked version of their simple yet powerful .NET profiling tool.
These releases measurably extend the .NET productivity pack from JetBrains that also includes ReSharper, the most intelligent extension to Microsoft Visual Studio; TeamCity, the continuous integration and build management system; and YouTrack, the keyboard-centric bug and issue tracker.
dotCover is designed as a very simple-to-use extension to Visual Studio that helps .NET developers make sure that every single line of code that should be covered by unit tests is actually covered by them.
- Works within Visual Studio 2005, 2008, or 2010.
- Analyzes statement-level code coverage in .NET Framework and Silverlight applications.
- Integrates with ReSharper’s unit testing toolset.
- Highlights code that is not covered by unit tests.
- Detects which unit tests cover any particular location in code.
- Provides a console utility, enabling to use it with a Continuous Integration server.
- Aggregates data from multiple coverage sessions, and merges snapshots.
- Generates XML-based code coverage reports.
“With all the unit testing goodness that ReSharper provides right in Visual Studio, we felt it would be fitting to give .NET developers a tool to help them see how successful they are in their unit testing practices,” said Oleg Stepanov, .NET Division Project Lead. “Something that would enable developers to instantly see any lapses in code coverage and at the same time integrate into corporate development and reporting workflow. A few months of hard work, and we did just that!”
Before January 1, 2011, dotCover is offered at an introductory price of $49 for a personal license or $99 for a commercial license. All licenses come with 1 year of free upgrades and technical support.
To learn more about dotCover, please visit https://www.jetbrains.com/dotcover?prdc1
dotTrace 4 Performance is the first step in a substantial upgrade of the established .NET profiler offering from JetBrains. After being an all-in-one memory and performance profiler, dotTrace splits into two products. dotTrace 4 Performance is the first of the two, with the other, dotTrace 4 Memory, expected to come out in several months.
dotTrace 4 Performance helps .NET developers:
- Get accurate info on performance bottlenecks in a variety of .NET applications including those built using .NET Framework 4, .NET Compact Framework 3.5, and Silverlight 4.
- Profile applications with great accuracy in several modes, including profiling remote applications.
- Profile complex desktop and server applications, thanks to unprecedented robustness.
- Immediately estimate how removing a particular bottleneck would affect the overall application performance.
- Launch profiling from Microsoft Visual Studio and quickly switch back to review problematic source code.
dotTrace 4 Performance comes in two editions, Standard and Professional. Commercial pricing starts at $399. A bundle consisting of dotTrace 4 Performance and dotTrace 3.5 Memory, a memory profiler with support for latest .NET Framework, is provided with a discount.
dotTrace 3.5 Memory is free for all existing users. Licenses purchased on or after December 17, 2008, can also be upgraded to dotTrace 4 Performance completely free of charge!
For more information about dotTrace 4 Performance, please visit https://www.jetbrains.com/profiler?prdc1
JetBrains is a technology-leading software development firm specializing in the creation of intelligent, productivity-enhancing software. The company is widely known for its innovative, award-winning Java™ integrated development environment, IntelliJ™ IDEA (see details on the Web at https://www.jetbrains.com/idea); ReSharper and dotTrace Profiler for .NET developers (see https://www.jetbrains.com/resharper, https://www.jetbrains.com/profiler); TeamCity — a continuous integration and build management environment (https://www.jetbrains.com/teamcity); RubyMine — a Ruby and Rails IDE (https://www.jetbrains.com/ruby); YouTrack — the fastest issue and bug tracker (https://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack); and MPS — Meta Programming System for creating and extending programming languages (https://www.jetbrains.com/mps). JetBrains maintains its headquarters in Prague, Czech Republic, with its R&D labs located in St. Petersburg, Russia and Boston, Massachusetts. For more information see https://www.jetbrains.com.
Note to Editors: JetBrains, IntelliJ, IntelliJ IDEA, ReSharper, dotTrace, dotCover, TeamCity, RubyMine, YouTrack, and MPS are trademarks or registered trademarks of JetBrains, s.r.o. All other trademarks are the properties of their respective owners.