IntelliJ IDEA Open Sourced

I believe you’ll like this announcement — IntelliJ IDEA has just gone open-source! Check out the press release as well as the new jetbrains.org community site for the details. We all will soon get a lot of new friends and colleagues in our IntelliJ IDEA community!

Starting with the upcoming version 9.0, IntelliJ IDEA will be offered in two editions: Community Edition and Ultimate Edition. The Community Edition focuses on Java SE technologies, Groovy and Scala development. It’s free of charge and open-sourced under the Apache 2.0 license. The Ultimate edition with full Java EE technology stack remains our standard commercial offering. See the feature comparison matrix for the differences.

Briefly, in the free Community Edition you’ll get all the Java code support — various refactorings and code inspections, coding assistance; debugging, TestNG and JUnit testing; CVS, Subversion and Git support; Ant and Maven build integration; and Groovy and Scala support (through a separate plugin). To learn more and download the Public Preview of IntelliJ IDEA 9 Community Edition, please visit the IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition site.

The IntelliJ platform, the common foundation for all our IDEs (IDEA, RubyMine, WebIDE or MPS), is being open-sourced under the APL 2.0, too.

You’ll find all the relevant information on how to participate and benefit at JetBrains.org. Check out the FAQ if you have additional questions.

This entry was posted in News & Events and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

99 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA Open Sourced

1. Yardena says:

Wow, that’s great news – thanks IntelliJ IDEA team! You are the best!

2. Woot!

I’m currently in the process of switching to IDEA, so this comes just in time. :)

3. Charles Wise says:

Congrats guys! This is a very big step for you.

4. Matt Moriarity says:

Fantastic!

I must say though, as a guy who just bought a license a week ago, if the community edition wasn’t missing features I really need, I’d probably be livid! But since I need ultimate edition anyway for the Java EE stuff, I’m alright with this :)

5. Justin Forder says:

Well done!

6. Brandon says:

This is fantastic. I’ll still be purchasing the ultimate edition but this is great news for the open source community.

7. Ed Gibbs says:

Great news and it largely takes out the final issue I often have convincing people to try IDEA in that it would cost them money. Looking forward to swaying a lot more people in the IntelliJ camp.

8. Beth says:

I love idea, but I have some trouble turning my co-workers on to it, since it costs (sadly). I hope this inspires more people to buy it. It’s a great product & I would love to see it be (more) successful in the marketplace.

Beth

9. Jesse Wilson says:

This is so awesome. Thankyou.

10. Danny Trieu says:

Sweet,… Should have a longtime ago….

11. Anatol says:

Yay! This is the best thanksgiving gift ever!

12. Really great news.

An awesome IDE for Java SE for free =D

13. Karthz says:

Wow, this is awesome!! I have always wanted a free edition of IntelliJ IDEA.

14. Pablo says:

Great step by IDEA, can’t wait to get Intellij 9.

Matt: that’s what they call a “License Purchase FAIL” ;-)

15. chand0s says:

Wow!
    I don’t need the Community Edition but this is very nice news.

16. Ashkan Roshanayi says:

And… finally! Great job jetbrains, good job!

17. That’s really exciting news. I’ve been a hardcore Java developer for many years, left Java for a few years and then came back.

IntelliJ is still *the* best Java IDE – hopefully this will help it keep that position.

Extra bonus points to you for putting it under Git. This will completely blow your mind with respect to the amount of contributions you’ll get back from the community. Now all you need is to reorganise yourself and form team-coordinators for contributions in different areas (GUI, Language support, core libraries and so on) – so that you can efficiently quality-check and merge in contributions in a scalable manner (Like Linux). -But I guess you already more or less have that kind of structure.

One question: Does IntelliJ have a “visionary” product owner kind of person, or is it more of a team-concensus based product? That always puzzled me.

BTW, your reCAPTCHA really sucks. I had to try 10 times.

Thanks again,
    Aslak

18. Err – sorry about the triple posting. I got CAPTCHA error messages for each submit, so I reposted. I’ll scroll up and check next time.

19. Badri says:

This is absolutely awesome guys!

20. Super cool,
    i’ve been using IDEA since 2001.

Way to go Jetbrains

21. Ben Hughes says:

Chaps & Chapesses,

You have always lead the way in what it is to make a seriously productive IDE. It’s no mistake that you bought the same productivity to the .NET world either.

Your kindness in OS’ing IntelliJ simply illustrates your commitment to building not good, but great software.

Hats off to you all.

A job well done.

Ben.

22. Waldo McGrain says:

I can’t wait to see some of IntelliJ’s features rolled into Eclipse!

23. Attila says:

Finally! Looking forward to a Ruby implementation ;)

24. Richard Osbaldeston says:

Will this effect the free licences for the full product (ultimate IDEA) that you’ve handed out to members of worthy open source projects in the past? Will they now be limited to the community edition instead?

Just wondering..

25. Gordon Tyler says:

This is fantastic news! Where can I find the Plugin SDK? I have a plugin which I wrote for IDEA 7 that I would like to port to IDEA 9.

26. Игорь says:

спасибо большое, теперь лабораторные работы буду писать IDEA, а не в этом тормозном Eclipse

27. Viraf Karai says:

I think that the community edition will be great for universities and trade schools teaching Java or languages for the JVM e.g. Groovy. For most enterprise Java developers and architects, the announcement makes no difference. I for one am an IDEA user but need the full-blown features e.g. Grails, Hibernate, JPA, Spring, web services, UML, web-containers (Tomcat, Jetty), etc.

The motive behind open-source the core part of IDEA is admirable and I definitely tip my hat to JetBrains for doing that. I also highly recommend that JetBrains work hard to promote the open-source version of IDEA in schools and universities because Java is widespread in many IS departments.

I for one am a pragmatist and am willing to pay the $250 that JetBrains wants for an individual license for funding development of IDEA. Having used Eclipse which is totally open-source, I totally realize how unsuitable it is for enterprise development. The hassles that I am able to overcome with IDEA as well as the beautiful UML diagrams it generates are well worth the price.

28. Jim Pearson says:

Completely awesome news! IDEA has rocked my Java world for a long time.

Thank you for doing this!

Jim

29. eclesia says:

Much like netbeans 5.5 with everything elsewhere. It’s still behind it as far as i can see. Too much icons, menus, toolbars everywhere. not what I would call friendly at first sight.
    Anyway, it’s a good thing to have another open source competitor.

30. yole says:

Gordon: Now that the source is available, a separate SDK download no longer makes much sense. Please refer to http://www.jetbrains.org/display/IJOS/Writing+Plug-ins for more information.

31. Michael Kay says:

I really hope this works for you: you deserve to be successful. I’ve been an IntelliJ user for years since Jacek Ambrosiak convinced me in the corridor at a conference, and I’ve been happy to pay for it – it’s cheaper than my laptop, and worth far more. As it happens, I don’t think I need any of the features that won’t be in the community edition. I’ve been doing consultancy recently with a company that has Eclipse installed everywhere, and I’m amazed how much better IntelliJ is (and that’s not just familiarity, the people there would all prefer to have IntelliJ if they were allowed to.)

32. redditor says:

:-(

grails
    :-(

33. Shanbo LI says:

This is the best news I v heard around these years, indeed!

34. Superb news. I’ve been evangelising IntelliJ for a long time, but the cost has been the barrier in each and every case – this announcement removes that problem.

RIP Eclipse :)

35. Wohoo! Surely today is not April 1st? :)

36. Craig says:

Congrats! I’ll be keeping my paid license (and upgrading when Maia is finished) though. Hopefully this will bring more people to IntelliJ IDEA.

Also, off topic, I like the website redesign!

37. Dave Griffith says:

Congratulations! This represents an impressive achievement for the JetBrains team, and a great day for the extended Java community.

38. nethibernate says:

woo.. it’s a great news, we get another choice of Java IDE.

39. db says:

Fantastic! So when will you be open sourcing Resharper? ;-)

40. Mike says:

now eclipse IDE is doomed. It’s JSP support is not much better than syntax, and freemarker support is pain.

Now that people will try to use it first for plain Java – they will fall in love and become dedicated customers. You just gave me another reason to buy a license as soon as my current project ends (you should really fix your eclipse import, that really keeps me off).

Anyhow – great news!

41. Wow it’s cool and thanks to JetBrains team to make it happen :)

42. StanTheMan says:

But no Javascript and CSS support? C’mon! This makes the open source edition pretty lame for such a basic feature.

43. opensas says:

congratulations!!!

now I will definetely give it a try… can’t quite get used to netbeans nor eclipse…

44. Gordon Tyler says:

Yole: Thanks for the pointer!

45. adwin says:

Can I developed grails apps with IntelliJ CE ?
    it support groovy but in the comparison matrix I saw that Grails was not supported.

I am using VIM at the moment :)

46. This is awful news, absolutely terrible move…. for Eclipse :-) and possibly for consultants, who uses Eclipse so that a job takes longer time == more income.

I think it makes perfect sense to separate the Core from the EE, and I assume that the previous OSS license will disappear as a result, and since I have been working on many OSS projects, we extremely seldom uses anything beyond the “standard install” (in 8.x) and if that is roughly the new Community Edition, then I am totally cool with this, and I think it will be so much easier to get friends and colleagues to start using it.

47. Yousuf says:

Congrats!!! i’ve been looking up to this :)

48. Alan says:

What does this mean?

10/15/09 8:56:51 PM [0x0-0x10f10f].com.jetbrains.intellij[8225] [JavaAppLauncher Warning] Java application launched from PPC or bad stub. Relaunching in 32-bit, and tagging sub-processes to prefer 32-bit with $JAVA_ARCH=i386.
    10/15/09 8:56:51 PM [0x0-0x10f10f].com.jetbrains.intellij[8225] [JavaAppLauncher Error] This process is [i386] and was re-exec’d from [i386], but for some reason we are trying re-exec to [].
    10/15/09 8:56:51 PM [0x0-0x10f10f].com.jetbrains.intellij[8225] [JavaAppLauncher Error] unable to find a version of Java to launch

49. Thanks JetBrains! Now can I convince you to do the same for TeamCity?

50. Whoa! Should we read this as good news or bad news? Isn’t a large chunk of installations being used for just Java? How will you keep the money coming?

All the best! I love IntelliJ.

Ashwin.

51. Brett Morgan says:

Will this allow MPS to become completely open source?

52. kodOZANI says:

Wuuhuu ! I am very happy to hear this news. Thank you.

53. This is a great news. You created amazing IDE and make it available for free. Thank you!

54. yole says:

Brett: Yes, MPS is now completely open-source.

55. yole says:

Douglas: We don’t have any plans to open-source TeamCity. The existing licensing model ensures that there’s no price barrier to adopting it, and the plugin architecture allows the users to customize and extend TeamCity.

Adwin: You can develop Grails applications with the Community Edition (and you’ll certainly have more features than in vim), but you won’t have any Grails specific IntelliJ features (such as the Grails project view, navigation bars, code insight support etc.)

Alan: Unfortunately the initial Community Edition build for the Mac only works on Snow Leopard. We’ll release a fixed build today.

56. recursv says:

That is exceptional news. Thank you to all involved

57. Sokaris Mykerinos says:

Awesome !!!!!

58. Cem Koc says:

I believe that this movement will save future of JetBrains to its rivals. As a IDEA developer since 3.x, I can simply say that NetBeans is also very mature and good now and has been threatening IDEA in this field especially in terms of financial perspective. There is no doubt about IDEA will be better than ever.

59. hmarco says:

Great news and will enable great developers to become greater. Thanks!
    But, why not including Ruby support?

Jetbrains: I’m a fan since the start of IntelliJ, keep up the very great work!

60. Richard Osbaldeston, let me put it short and simple — no they won’t be :)

61. atc says:

I love it, excellent news!

62. Paul Bakker says:

While I truly hope this will help spreading IntelliJ more, I wonder how many people can actually use this version. All EE support (even simple web projects) is stripped out, which makes the Community Edition very limited useable in practice.
    If Java developers would just get rid of the idea that software is supposed to be free… I’m also not sure if open sourcing will help any good. OS only works if the company is structured around this concept, otherwise it’s just overhead.

63. Roman Strobl says:

Hi all, here are some answers to the questions – yes, MPS can be now fully open source, because the platform used under it is also open source.

As for Grails, currently it is only supported in Ultimate Edition.

As for how many people drive the vision of IDEA – it’s definitely not 1 person, it’s more of a team effort.

As for licenses given away to open source projects – open source projects can continue to use the IDEA licenses as they received them and I believe we will continue giving away free licenses of Ultimate Edition to open source projects if they need them and request them.

As for building plug-ins, see this page:

No plans to open source ReSharper right now.

64. Confused says:

Looking at the number of features cut out of the free version, I have to ask, Why bother?

I love Intellij Idea. I think the full version blows eclipse away. But compare eclipse with the free version of Idea…..

65. Jacky says:

Great new. :) Reading source code now, and I want to make some plugins for the community.

66. ameno says:

weeeeeeee finally.
    way to go, thank you!
    a few important features are missing support in the community edition, but hey… its a first step :)

67. Geoffrey De Smet says:

Great news :)

In this file:

line 64:
    private final HashMap<PsiPackage, Set<List>> myDependencies;
    should probably be
    private final Map<PsiPackage, Set<List>> myDependencies;

It will be interesting to see how open sourcing evolves IntelliJ :)

68. javafuns says:

69. davie says:

fantastic news – this gets around the most common argument (excuse) for using eclipse.

70. Daniel Serodio says:

Awesome news!!! I really hope you get the financial return you deserve, and I’m glad to see Groovy support listed as a Community Edition feature; I’ve been reading that Groovy support in IntelliJ is the best around, now I have the chance to try it.

71. Mike Miller says:

Initially I thought this was great news but I think there are just a few too many red X’s on the comparison page. I don’t begrudge you guys making money but what good is ‘comprehensive Groovy support’ if the IDE does not include the support for Grails?

72. darth says:

Awesome news :)

73. tdm says:

Been an IDEA fan since the early days of intelli… simply “the best” IDE… this is certainly a really good news… good move jetbrains.

74. Jeff Dickey says:

I’m 110% with ‘confused’ above… the “community edition” has been so heavily lobotomized that it’s hard to see any Eclipse or NetBeans developer, no matter how disenchanted, from really taking it seriously, or even bothering to fire it up. JetBrains and the “community” are going to have to work really, really hard to make this seem anything more than a come-on for the full “Ultimate” version.

75. Under Surface says:

My eyes lit up when I saw the heading on this, but looking at the comparison chart, well…

No app server support?
    No framework support?

Oh boy, let’s build Hello World in this awesome IDE!

Ok, the less cynical side of me hopes that these features are eventually duplicated by the open source community, eclipsing the current feature set and freeing the on-staff developers to create a richer offering in the Ultimate Edition. This is actually a good move, as by the time that the open source edition catches up to the licensed version, the developers that *were* maintaining custom code can incorporate the open source features, then focus their attention on their own development efforts for a larger set of non-public features.

I’ve convinced myself. From within me now comes a mighty “yay”. YAY!

76. Todd says:

I have to wonder if this won’t hurt IDEA instead.

Given the lack of features in the Community Edition, I can’t see people switching from NetBeans or Eclipse. If nobody switches to the Community Edition there’s never a chance to upsell into the Ultimate Edition.

Alternatively, what’s to stop the Eclipse and NetBeans communities from scavaging the best parts of your Apache licensed codebase and locking their enhancements behind a more restrictive license?

You might do better to position the Community Edition against the RCP platforms provided by NetBeans and Eclipse.

I’m always glad to see more code open sourced. Good luck!

77. Ashitkin Alexander says:

I don’t understand this edition. If the aim is to promote IDEA in universities, it should provide minimal support for JavaEE development – at least Tomcat support or probably some built-in container.

78. Cem Koc says:

I have same concerns about the usability of community edition. However it is a just one step to make more. In my opinion, community edition should have same features and be free to universities, non commercial projects.

79. Java world was waiting for this to happen for a long time, but anyway ‘better late than never’. I just wish standard edition had spring support.
    Congratulations and thanks for this great gift to community :)

80. Much expected and exciting announcement! :) Keep going & growing!

81. David says:

Why are so many people being so demanding in wanting the web / enterprise features from JetBrains for free while they themselves are unlikely to give away their software/support/time for free? Sometimes it seems that it’s just a step away from asking IntelliJ to actually do their homework/work for them if that’s possible. (Then perhaps the company should hire JetBrains instead. It will be more cost-effective.)

I wish the attitude ‘Let me seize this great opportunity to write my own plug-in / platform / next big thing!’ be more prevalent.

82. Petre Suprovici says:

I am a Java/J2EE/Groovy/Grails developer and I’d love to use my old buddy the IntelliJ IDEA back at home too, for my own personal training and continuous education. As of now, my focus is on Grails and I’m less than enthusiastically using Netbeans 6.7 for that purpose. Question: What kind of v9 upgrade am I supposed to get on top of my v8 license, the community or the ultimate edition, in exchange for purchasing right away a $249 IDEA v8 personal license? See the following announcement on the JB’s Licesing & Upgrade page @ http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/buy/index.jsp: All IntelliJ IDEA 8 purchases made on or after October 1, 2009, qualify for a FREE upgrade to IntelliJ IDEA 9. Sooooo… 4 which one, folks? Thanks!

83. Petre, you’re getting an Ultimate Editon license when IntelliJ IDEA 9 is out if you’re going to purchase IntelliJ IDEA 8 now.

84. Demoth says:

so much awesomeness for freee!!

85. amir says:

what about j2ee !!!!!?

86. Mr Grumpy says:

The community edition looks like really useful, if it’s 1997 and you’ve just bought the first edition of Java Servlet Programming.

87. beko says:

But why???

88. sendi says:

how do you setup tomcat with this community IJ release ?

89. satyanarayana says:

I am new to intel IDE .Can any help how to import and export Project from Intelj and also how to work with the IDE

90. Jeff Schwartz says:

Can someone tell my why IntelliJ is worth $250 more than Eclipse v3.6?

91. Ssundar says:

I am using IntelliJ for more than two years(starting 6.x) and I must say there are valid reasons to be considered as the best. This 9.x is one step ahead of all. Good luck.

92. Jeff Schwartz says:

@Ssundar,

Your response is pure emotional with no facts. Just because you ‘feel’ that way doesn’t make it so. If you had provided actual side by side comparisons supporting your opinion then I might have taken you seriously. But as it stands now you just come off as IntelliJ fanboy or maybe even a Jetbrains employee.

So does anyone else out there want to tell me why IntelliJ is worth $250 more than Eclipse v3.6?

93. Johan says:

@Jeff,

I will try to answer that. US$250 is a lot of money yes, but… There’s always a but.

If you bash off people as fanboys or “maybe even a Jetbrains employee” it simply means that you could be a different fanboy yourself or just too stingy to fork out that much for an excellent IDE. Excellent in the way that it helps you to excel.
    “To surpass someone or something; to be better or do better than someone or something; To be much better than others” – http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/excel
    I “grew up” using Eclipse, so I didn’t really bother to try something else, although I explored Netbeans too. So when IntelliJ Community Edition was released I jumped at the opportunity and gave it a try.

To my amazement it was faster, less cluttered, streamlined, logically presented and just plainly put: the tool for the job. Over the time I’ve been using it, I also noticed that it encouraged me to better coding styles.

It’s kind-of like the “organic”-hype people have about food. You get Eclipse like you get normal veggies/fruit, the fruit that everyone buys. But then you get organic veggies and fruit that people just think to be a money-making scam. But in the end, check the biological composition for yourself and see what is best. IntelliJ IDEA is that organic IDE.

If this isn’t descriptive enough, try it out for 3 months and you’ll understand.

I’m in the process of saving up for the Enterprise Edition, just because it’s worth it.

94. Fan of the Source says:

I just wanted to come back and say thank you for opening the source. I just re-upped from 9.x to 10.x ultimate. I think the price is more than fair and I will always have the tools I purchased in a form I can modify. I actually *own* the products I purchase. I love it.

– A Happy IntelliJ 10 user, releasing the source only reaffirmed my love for IntelliJ.

95. Jacob Dixon says:

Its a very exciting news for many application developers as they can convert this open source technology as per their needs and use as per their choice. I hope there would be a long list of users to join this community within a short period of time.