IntelliJ IDEA 10 EAP (98.311)

A new IntelliJ IDEA 10 EAP build (98.311) is ready for your testing.

Some noteworthy changes in this build:

• Several new code inspections: “Synchronization on static field”, “Unqualified inner class”, “Unnecessary outer class qualifier” and appropriate quick-fixes
  • Resin 4.x compatibility fixed
  • Grails filters support added
  • Important fixes in Android development support
  • Draggable & dockable editor tabs (see video below). Work in progress.

See the list of all the fixes and improvements since the last update, download the build and enjoy!

This entry was posted in News & Events and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 10 EAP (98.311)

1. Andrew Perepelytsya says:

Guys, the draggable editors feature looks great, but there’s no ‘reverse’ action to bring the window back into main editor, do you plan to add one? At the moment one closes the window and loses the context.

2. Bryan Young says:

The draggable editors feature looks great. It’s a little buggy, but I love the concept. I assume ‘work in progress’ means we should refrain from submitting bugs at this point?

3. Ronny Løvtangen says:

This is great :)

On OS X, the application menu is not available to the floating editors.
    And there are some quirks with Switcher when you have floating editors. But I guess that will be resolved in the next versions.

4. Yes there is. You just have to drag the tab title and not the window title bar and it works fine. Just like they do it in the video between windows..

5. Bryan, Ronny, thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    Yes, you’re right “Work in progress” means there’s a number of things to do before it makes sense to post bugs. But thanks for the feedback here, we’ll consider it.

6. Andrew Perepelytsya: you can drag back an editor window to the main frame; an action will also be provided so you could map it to a keyboard shortcut you like

7. Ronny Løvtangen: thanks for the feedback on app menu; the switcher will also be fixed to work with floating editors as well

8. Taras Tielkes says:

What about moving a toolwindow to a secondary screen, and maximizing it there?

9. Joe says:

In this EAP ctrl+shift+n (go to file) is broken. I get an exception in most cases and not completion. Submitted using the error reporting dialog.
    Would be great to get a fixes eap soon…

10. Lance says:

@Joe

I recommend you report the issue via their bug report system: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net Properly reported bugs will get resolved much faster than ones mentioned in random comments (which may not get noticed and thus not fixed).

Regards,
    Lance

11. Dimitar Dimitrov says:

Another preliminary feedback for the draggable tabs, please test on multi-monitor setups, with different sized, different aspect ratio monitors. Currently it’s way too easy to drag a tab with it’s title bar outside of the visible screen. Also, if a secondary tab container spans multiple screens, it does not accept focus.

12. tramsgar says:

FINALLY the editor tabs catch up with this century! =) Thanks!

13. Jon says:

Still get a whooole lot of java.lang.ClassCastException (+ other exceptions), rendering the build unusable. Same as in 98.231. 98.117 was the last stable/usable build imo.

14. Taras Tielkes says:

There seems to be a focus problem on Windows XP (64 bit).

I have a editor tab dragged to my secondary screen, and maximized it.
    I cannot put focus on it by clicking inside the editor. I have to explicitly click on the window title bar.

15. Taras Tielkes says:

In addition, the Ctrl-F12 popup continues to appear on the primary screen when invoked from an editor dragged to the secondary screen.

16. Brian says:

I’m very excited about the separate editor windows. I would love to see a preference for opening new files in a new or existing floating editor window. Also, when opening files with command-N, the file is opening in projects main editor window instead of the active floating editor window.

This feature has a lot of potential. Thank you, Jetbrains!

17. Flo says:

Thanks for the dockable tabs feature! I’ve been missing it since always.

I got 2 suggestions though:
    1. Make the positioning more reliable – It seem that I decide where the “center” of the window goes even though I dragged it out on the title-bar of the tab

2. Give the undocked tabs a ‘Stay on Top’ option

But even without the suggestions it’s awesome.

18. Hosam Aly says:

I am using the Community Edition IC-98.187, but am unable to use the update manager to update to 98.311. It just gives me a button that links to the download page. Is this normal?

19. Hosam: Yes, this is normal. The patch is available from build 98.231 to 98.311. From an older version you should update manually.

20. Andrew Perepelytsya says:

Multi-monitor (different aspect ratio) feedback:

Drag the tab to another monitor, release – ends up pushed up beyond the top boundary if I drop somewhere in the top 1/3 of the screen (win 7). Expected behavior – put new window’s top where the mouse position is.

And please, DON’T just stick it to the window top – hate programs doing it when there’s a taskbar I place at the top. Can’t get to window bar then, have to use keyboard shortcuts to invoke window menu and move it manually.