IntelliJ IDEA 14 Early Preview is Available!

Today we are happy to announce that IntelliJ IDEA 14, codenamed Cassiopeia and scheduled for release later this year, is now available for early preview! You’re welcome to download the IntelliJ IDEA 14 EAP and see what exciting new features it offers.

idea_logo

Highlights of this release:

• Java Debugger:
    • Completely rewritten using the new API, with unified Debugger tool window for all languages.
    • The Watches tab now persists expressions (and remembers it even after you close it.)
    • Breakpoints can now be arranged by user groups.
    • Hidden elements of long arrays and collections are displayed on demand, you no longer need to edit the view settings for that.
  • Java editor:
    • Backspace smart indent makes the Backspace key aware of your code formatting settings, so it doesn’t break your code when removing indents before caret.
    • Now it’s possible to generate tests for methods and add them to an existing test class.
  • General IDE:
    • The new Code cleanup action (available via AnalyzeCode Cleanup or as an option in the VCS commit dialog) applies quick-fixes in batch mode to selected files.
    • The improved Find in path action now can search within files with unknown extensions and within the .idea configuration files. It also uses indices when searching for strings that contain a part of an identifier (3 characters and longer.)
    • Copy/paste selected code as HTML/RTF is now available without additional plugins.
    • Better IDE startup time.
  • JavaFX:
    • SceneBuilder 2.0 is now available as UI designer so you don’t need to leave IntelliJ IDEA to work with .fxml files (requires IntelliJ IDEA to run on Java 8.)
  • Spring:
    • Performance when handling Spring projects with large numbers of XML descriptor files has been significantly improved.
    • The Select In action now also can navigate to the Spring tool window.
    • The new plugin with Spring Websocket support.
  • Grails and Gradle now work better together.
  • Mercurial:
    • The Push dialog has been improved.
    • The Log viewer loads faster.
    • The option to revert uncommitted merge and update from the Log viewer reverting the current changes.
    • Displaying of the current revision in the Log viewer.
    • Many other enhancements, including the notification about incoming/outgoing changes.
  • Web development:
    • Postfix code completion for JavaScript
    • Spy.js and Node.js now can run together via new run configuration.
  • We think you’ll also appreciate the fact that Code Coverage tool, Structural Search and Replace, and Type Migration refactoring have become available in IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition.

Work on IntelliJ IDEA 14 is in full swing, so many more awesome features await ahead. Meanwhile, feel free to help us make the release even better by sharing your feedback in our discussion forum and reporting bugs to the issue tracker!

Stay tuned for more details on these and other new features soon to appear in our blog.

Develop with Pleasure!

About Andrey Cheptsov

Andrey Cheptsov is IntelliJ IDEA product marketing manager at JetBrains. He's passionate about productivity, programming languages and tools.
    This entry was posted in EAP Releases, New Features and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 14 Early Preview is Available!

1. Paweł Gajda says:

Great news! What about latest changes from Android Studio Beta 0.8.0, will they be introduced in IntelliJ IDEA 14 only or we can expect them in IntelliJ IDEA 13 as well?

2. Andrew Kowal says:

Is there any public roadmap for 14? What major features/changes have been planned?

3. Alex says:

Hi,
      can you please explain how to use JavaFX designer?
      i double click .fxml file but not see designer.

• anet says:

Alex,
        IDEA must run on java 8 because SceneBuilder whioch is used under the hood is built over java 8.
        Sorry for the inconvenience

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

You should run IntelliJ IDEA using JRE 1.8 and you should also specify path to SceneBuilder 2.0 in the settings.

• Simon Billingsley says:

Does this mean that IDEA 14 will run with JRE 8 on OSX?
          We are currently stuck using JRE 6 due to Font Rendering issues…

4. klein tawan says:

good, I like Community version but Ultimate it’s expensive. Are you plan to discount soon?

Thanks.

• Mike says:

Klein,

You get what you pay for. It’s money well spent.

-Mike

• Luca says:

I saw that if you are a startup you can actually have a discount of 50%! In my opinion if you are an individual developer I don’t think that IntelliJ is that expensive! I bought it with the personal license and as Mike says it’s money well spent! For real! :)

5. Andrei says:

Do you have in plan to merge features from Android Studio beta?

6. Omair-Inam Abdul-Matin says:

Any plans to add support for Mercurial Patch Queues (MQ) in IntelliJ IDEA 14?

7. Rafael Franco says:

Great! Does it include aspectJ incremental compilation?

8. Igor Kolomiets says:

Good to hear that JetBrains is at never decreased pace in developing the next version of IDEA.

Is it just me or it’s a general industry trend that makes debugger an important as never before tool when developing around legacy code bases? So it’s quite reassuring to have next generation of debugger tool on horizon.

9. Morgan says:

Looks awesome so far! I really love IntelliJ!

I have a few suggestions/ideas:

* Postfix macros should be configurable and available in any language. For example, I want “.return” to be just “.r” because that will really save me keystrokes in javascript. Also when doing e.g. jasmine unit testing, I very often have to go back and wrap everything with expect(__).toBe(__). Would be very nice with a postfix macro for that!! I would also love to have them in Scala.

* Whenever there is an “Intention” available, perhaps instead of showing that yellow lightbulb, the cursor could change color (to e.g. pink) – then you would know that you can just press alt+enter to get the intentions menu. That lightbulb can be a little distracting (kind of like Clippy, but not nearly that bad of course :). The feature is GREAT, it’s just the appearance that can be distracting.

* Have an option to slim down or remove the gutters/margins/padding at the side of the editor. When editing 2 (or 3) files side by side, A LOT of space is lost. It seems that some space is reserved for e.g. breakpoints, but I (almost) never use them, so the space is just wasted. The git indicator for modified line is still necessary though, just make it really slim, or hmm perhaps the background color of the line that is modified/added could change (ever so slightly)?

* Even smoother scrolling (on OSX) like the on sublime text has would be sweet.

* A quick way to see a diff of everything you’ve done since last commit. I know I can just open the commit dialoge (cmd+k), but I don’t want to commit, I just want to see what I’ve done. “Changes” (cmd+9) isn’t quite what I want either. I want something that looks like the bookmarks popup, where you can get a quick preview/diff for each file.

Just a few ideas from the top of my head. :) I hope you’ll consider some of them. I really love intellij. Thanks

• Kirill Likhodedov says:

As about diff feature: why “Changes” (cmd+9) isn’t quite what I want either? Could you please provide more details on the view you are requesting, possibly with a link to a screenshot of some other 3-party existing tool that already has the feature?

• Alexander Podkhalyuzin says:

We have plans to add postfix live templates to Scala in IDEA 14, where we will have appropriate API for it.

10. Cory Comer says:

Any info on having the Spring facet detect the beans configured in a Spring Boot application via autoconfiguration?

11. Kamil Afsar says:

Dear JetBrains,
      Thanks for bringing Idea to the next level. But please fix the Scala and Play plugins! It’s deadslow, hanging too often, refactoring doesn’t work all that well, etc. Please give it the care Java support gets.
      Thank you! :)

12. What a wonderful news! Thanks.

I hope it will not like v13 :)

13. Dev says:

Please add C# support in the next version.

14. Vivek says:

This is great news.. Have been using IDEA since 2008 and simply love it. Can’t wait to try out the v14 eap.

15. How fast is compared with the v13 ? Because I noticed you said you rewrote it using the new API.

16. Marc Walter says:

Great news! Could you confirm support for WebSphere Liberty Profile in IntelliJ 14?

• Michael says:

WebSphere Liberty Profile is supported by IDEA for long time already.

WS LP is implemented as a dialect of the WS server, so you should be able to register WS LP server home as a WS server and go from there.

If you have any troubles running WS LP with IDEA 13 or 14, please open YouTrack’s.

• Marc Walter says:

Well I can start and stop WLP from inside IntelliJ that’s right. But that’s all. No support for editing server.xml file in a wizard for example or using autocompletion for adding databases, JMS resources, JNDI entries and so on. And I don’t see log output in the console, I have to build every time to see my code changes (no hot deployment like using Tomcat). So you call this support? See Eclipse WLP Plugin to see what I mean.

17. Still using JVM 6 on Mac and JVM 7 is just optional? Disappointed.

18. My tool to create deb packages of IDEA has been updated: https://github.com/trygvis/intellij-idea-dpkg

19. Dmitry says:

Yes! Finally “smart” backspace is implemented!

20. Ken says:

The most important thing to me is that, Can IDEA 14 now debug grails 2.4/2.3 application directly, not in remote mode?

21. Ali says:

any plans for built-in and enhanced support for Typesafe platform e.g. Play, Scala, Akka and more

22. Steve says:

Question: Is the PHP plugin already working for this release? I want to update but only if I’m sure I can continue my development after that :)

23. Oleg says:

The new clean-start customization “wizard” is hOrRiBlE:

1) The first step is a choice between Alloy and Dracula theme.
      Why it is limited to these two?
      Why Dracula vs Allow instead of Dracula vs IntelliJ?

2) The second step is a horrible screen with big cells with where it is probably possible to configure an initial set of plugins.
      This screen has vertical scroll bar with a bunch of options below the scroll line.
      The customization of an individual plugin group is on the separate screen with a kind of “back” button, but without “cancel” button.

And there is a lot of empty space on all screens.

Thank you for the “skip all/remaining and set defaults” button that thankfully allows to skip that monstrosity and get to the screen where the proper settings dialog can be opened.

24. Leo says:

The “about Intellij Idea” section still shows 13.1.
      Seems to work fine besides that :)

25. Alex Hetu says:

Are there any plans to add support for Thymeleaf in this version?

Thanks!

26. Paul Bakker says:

What about OSGi support? This was scheduled for 14 according to this issue: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-100812

Is this still planned before the final release of 14?

27. Haris says:

Hi,

a small suggestion: Bookmark-lists (or groups) related to a task (just like the SVN change lists).
      Also, the same for breakpoints.

Thanks

28. weijun says:

While the “Copy/paste selected code as HTML/RTF” feature is nice, when I want to paste a block of codes into a plain-text mail in Mail.app on Mac, the output is very ugly. It looks like first the rich text is paste there and then it’s converted to plain text. Maybe it’s a problem of Mail.app, but it’s annoying. Now I have to first paste the code into a real text editor and then copy/paste to Mail.

29. Amma says:

Some improvements for flash projects?

30. Are there plans to support spring boot better? Right now intelliJ doesn’t know which beans are there etc.
      I assume the reason is that spring boot does a lot of magic which is hard to grasp for an IDE…

31. Hesam says:

Currently the IDE has so much problem with RTL languages (in my case Persian).
      Are you aware of these problems? Is there any plan to fix these problems? Thanks

32. Juan says:

Great !!

But please improve the performance. Idea 13 under Mac OS is working really bad, every time a project is open two minutes updating index!

33. Pepijn says:

All the links to this page mention a built-in Java decompiler, but this page doesn’t. Is it in? Could you say a bit more about it?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

More details about the built-in decompiler coming soon. I will update this post once we have the detailed post published.