Integration with an Issue Tracking System in PhpStorm

Working on a project often means working with issue tracking. There are various issue tracking systems out there: YouTrack, JIRA, FogBugz, many projects use the issue tracker which comes with GitHub, and there are several more out there.

PhpStorm comes with built-in support for many of these issue trackers. It even provides “generic” issue tracker integration which provides integration with other issue trackers like Drupal’s.

This functionality is available in IntelliJ Idea, PyCharm, WebStorm, PhpStorm, RubyMine, and AppCode.

From the File | Settings menu, we can specify issue tracker integration under the project settings’ Tasks | Servers node. As you can see, PhpStorm comes with many supported issue trackers out-of-the-box.

Once an issue tracking server has been added, we can browse our list of issues, correlate VCS commits with issues and tasks, create new tasks and so on. The Alt+Shift+N keyboard shortcut will list available tasks and provides the starting point to creating a new task.

Have a look at our tutorials page for some examples and on how to work with tasks, look at descriptions from within the IDE and so on. We also have an earlier post on making use of GitHub’s issue tracker.

As always, we appreciate your feedback in the comments below or in our forums!

Develop with pleasure!
– JetBrains PhpStorm Team

This entry was posted in Cool Feature and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Integration with an Issue Tracking System in PhpStorm

1. Jan Dorsman says:

This feature is really useful. I have been using this for over a year now and can’t imaging working without it. Especially when combining it with the changelists feature, you can create a separate changelist for each issue, works like a charm! :)

2. Chris says:

Does the current version of PhpStorm not support trac anymore? I tried to set it up several times but it does not connect. Not on projectlocker.com and not setup on my local system. No further information why it could not connect.

3. Igor says:

I’m getting an error when trying to test connection: Sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

Please help.

4. Konstantin says:

Hi!
    Unfortunately, i don’t find integration with bugzilla :(
    Do you plan to support it?

5. SebCorbin says:

This is a nice feature, but it’s totally unusable if you’re working with a secure private issue-tracking system (see this 2-year-old issue http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-68256)

6. Troy McCabe says:

Thanks for the write-up on this; hadn’t run across this before and am excited to use it.

As far as access to it; any chance it’d become a “Tool Window” in the future? I don’t mine the shortcut (I’ll memorize it after a few more times using it) but having it always open on bigger monitors would be nice.

7. defray says:

Hey thanks for the info but what about redmine ?

8. Evgeniy Bobrov says:

I use JIRA bug tracker with official plugin. On current moment plugin is more convinient and usable: it counts time, allows to change issue’s parameters and states, has auto commit on solving…
    Built in feature is only faster…

9. Kamil P says:

One feature I found is missing there is possibility to filter tasks by user they attached to, e.g. with redmine integration. It would be nice to have it!

10. Tom says:

You wrote that it is possible to “create new tasks”. I’m a little bit confused, because IMHO it is not possible to add a new issue into an external issue system including youtrack out of the phpStorm IDE. I already have asked for that feature in april this year at the forum: http://devnet.jetbrains.com/message/5485685#5485685

So what is right?

• Maarten Balliauw says:

Well both are right. Tasks can be created, but only on your developer machine. This makes sense because tasks are related to changelists and you can keep track of your work locally. I do agree with your suggestion and added a vote to the issue you posted.

11. Eirik Hoem says:

Has anyone set this up for CodeBaseHQ (http://codebasehq.com/)?

12. Dario Sait says:

A friend just told me of this post. In April 2012 I published a little post (feedback welcome) on how to integrate Redmine into PhpStorm (I use it on Mac OS):

I hope this can may help anyone.

13. Lucian says:

Is the trac integration working for anybody using projectlocker.com? I’ve tried to set it up in phpStorm 7.0 and I only receive the error Cannot connect to … Their certificate is valid so I do not think it is a not signed certificate issue. Can anybody help?